Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 05:52 AM

21 posts, read 14,174 times

Advertisements

Correct, I am talking about living in Hampstead and not the island. So Hampstead is septic tanks? I tried to find a map of the serviceable area for utilities of Pender county but couldn't find one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2023, 06:35 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawleeMan View Post
Correct, I am talking about living in Hampstead and not the island. So Hampstead is septic tanks? I tried to find a map of the serviceable area for utilities of Pender county but couldn't find one.
Generally speaking, if the house has a half acre of land or more, it has a septic tank. Our sandy soil drains well, so we have had no problems witha septic tank. If the lot is a third or less acres, it needs a sewer connection. Sometimes a development has a mixture, so it is hard to make a map. Often the Realtor listings do not say, so make sure to ask. The big developers like DR Horton will almost always have sewer connections.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-09-2023 at 06:46 AM..

Old 01-09-2023, 08:46 AM

Another thing you may not realize: natural gas is generally not available. If you like cooking with gas, you will have to get a propane tank. Electric heat pumps are the only option for HVAC, unless you build a custom house. Ground source heat pumps and solar panels are good options if you can afford a custom build.

[Update] Here is an exception to everything I have said. They are apparently bringing natural gas lines to some areas of Hampstead. This house has natural gas cooking and water heater. It also has a half acre+ lot with a sewer connection:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M98942-36658

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-09-2023 at 09:41 AM..

Old 01-09-2023, 05:33 PM

I would like gas more for the house power backup than cooking. I'm assuming power goes out in storms rather often?

Old 01-09-2023, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I would like gas more for the house power backup than cooking. I'm assuming power goes out in storms rather often?
I can't speak about the frequency of Hampstead power outages. I live in a community in Onslow which has underground power. We almost never loose power except in a hurricane or an accident at a tranformer.

It is a good idea to have a generator, but I do not think it needs to be a whole-house one. We have a limited one that runs the refrigertor, one portable air conditioner and some lights.

Old 01-10-2023, 08:24 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Hampstead single family residential = County water, septic tanks, propane gas. No sidewalks or connective walking trails except if the specific neighborhood as them. Usually ditches for drainage, not curb and gutter. Pay for garbage pickup. Sheriff's office has about 2-3 deputies assigned to Hampstead. Volunteer FD. No street lights unless the specific neighborhood has them. There are a couple of county owned regional parks.

The old adage you get what you pay for comes to mind. But for many, the lack of quality infrastructure is ok because they want a big house on more land.

Old 01-11-2023, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Hampstead single family residential = County water, septic tanks, propane gas. No sidewalks or connective walking trails except if the specific neighborhood as them. Usually ditches for drainage, not curb and gutter. Pay for garbage pickup. Sheriff's office has about 2-3 deputies assigned to Hampstead. Volunteer FD. No street lights unless the specific neighborhood has them. There are a couple of county owned regional parks.

The old adage you get what you pay for comes to mind. But for many, the lack of quality infrastructure is ok because they want a big house on more land.
I guess it is becoming a mix of septic and sewer connection. Maybe the new homes are getting the connection now. The gas line would be nice.

42% Republican
18% Democratic
40% Unaffiliated
That sound correct?

Old 01-11-2023, 04:52 PM

Quote:
........42% Republican
18% Democratic
40% Unaffiliated
That sound correct?
The state legislators are Republican, and ssometimes there is no opposition.The US Congressman is also a Republican, David Rouser.

There is also not a lot of ethnic diversity, viz, the main C-D profile showing 88.5% white: https://www.city-data.com/city/Hampst...-Carolina.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina