Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2023, 11:12 AM

36 posts, read 69,401 times

Advertisements

Looking to move from ME to NC, and Wilmington has my interest due to location and proximity to family in Savannah and DC. Any luxury apartment or condo rental communities available? What does crime look like overall? Looking for something close to the ocean, gated preferably with amenities. Safety a huge priority. Thank you for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2023, 01:31 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
There certainly are safe condo communities. Check the Mayfaire Town Center to see if there is anything in your budget. That is zip code 28405. The crime rate is not bad. You are more likely to find limited access buildings than gated communities.

Old 01-15-2023, 01:40 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,637,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beats32 View Post
Looking to move from ME to NC, and Wilmington has my interest due to location and proximity to family in Savannah and DC. Any luxury apartment or condo rental communities available? What does crime look like overall? Looking for something close to the ocean, gated preferably with amenities. Safety a huge priority. Thank you for any information.
I don't live in Wilmington, but I visited recently and toured a few apartment communities. This one was my favorite: https://www.oasisatriverlights.com/floorplans.html

The location is on the river, closer to the southern end of the city (and Carolina Beach), than to downtown. It's a bit out of the way, if you are looking for a quiet neighborhood. Everyone I spoke to said that it is very safe. The complex is not gated, but the buildings have controlled access, and I did not see any with the doors propped open (I looked).

There are multiple housing developments in the immediate vicinity (including single family homes, riverfront condos, and a Dell Webb retirement community). There's also a small park, a bit of retail space, and a nice casual restaurant right on the riverfront. Ongoing commercial development nearby promises a grocery store and other retail within walking distance when completed.

Rent in Wilmington seems comparable to similar housing in Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern suburban markets (i.e, cheaper than living in the big cities, but you will pay for proximity to the coast). The city is pretty built up already, but there is lots of development outside of Wilmington proper if you are looking to eventually buy a home.

Last edited by katenik; 01-15-2023 at 01:50 PM..

Old 01-15-2023, 02:12 PM

One of the few gated communities is Landfall. Single family homes there are $800K plus. There are some townhouses, but none for sale currently. River Landing would be an excellent option, as the previous poster described.

Old 01-16-2023, 09:04 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
One of the few gated communities is Landfall. Single family homes there are $800K plus. There are some townhouses, but none for sale currently. River Landing would be an excellent option, as the previous poster described.
I think you meant RiverLights.

That is actually an excellent option. While not being gated, its location is definitely safe.

Old 01-16-2023, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I think you meant RiverLights.

That is actually an excellent option. While not being gated, its location is definitely safe.
Yes, you are correct. I also missed the point that the OP wanted to rent.

There are gated communities like St James in Brunswick County. However, the condo rentals there would be mostly used by golfers on vacation. It would not be a good place for a child, as there are few families with children in St James. I think she should stick with Wilmington or Hampstead.
I suggest Hampstead as a suburban alternative because it has excellent public school ratings. There are plenty of apartment or townhouse communities with pools.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-16-2023 at 11:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina