Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 06:11 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times

Advertisements

Eastern NC has one of the highest density of black bears plus the fattest. We grow em huge. Look up Neil Jernigan nature photography. He has photos of some massive bears. Plymouth NC host the NC Black Bear festival coming up in June.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2023, 07:00 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,860 times
Wonder if there's any cocaine bears? (still trying to understand what made a movie studio decide THAT was the script they were going with)

Old 07-26-2023, 04:50 PM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
You know reading this makes me feel really bad for my son (who is now an adult). Back when we lived in Kinston and he was around 11, he came running in the house, all out of breath with his new shoes soaking wet claiming that he and his friend were chased by a bear. I thought he was lying so he wouldn't get in trouble about the shoes. We laugh about it now and he still swears it wasn't a big dog like I thought it was. Didn't realize there were that many bears in that part of N.C. I assumed most of them were in the Ashville area. I'll have to go apologize....

Old 07-28-2023, 10:40 AM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Spoke to my cousin who lives just outside NB yesterday - a huge bear, bears? twice came up on their deck and destroyed the gate they have for their dog. She guesstimated 700 lbs.!! yikes.

Old 08-21-2023, 06:55 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,240,257 times
There are bears in New Bern. They venture out late at night and tear down bird feeders or trash cans in search of an easy meal. Neighbors have shared videos of bears walking around their yards--they have even ventured up their front stairs, onto their porch, and smelled around their front door!

Old 08-27-2023, 06:14 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
There are bears in New Bern. They venture out late at night and tear down bird feeders or trash cans in search of an easy meal. Neighbors have shared videos of bears walking around their yards--they have even ventured up their front stairs, onto their porch, and smelled around their front door!
I think bears are all over the state.

They have been seen in Carolina Shores.

Old 08-27-2023, 06:50 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,240,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I think bears are all over the state.

They have been seen in Carolina Shores.
Apparently bears do not occupy the central part of NC. This explains why I never saw them during all of the years that I lived in the Triangle. When I lived in Cary, I never had to worry about them sniffing around my front door or tearing apart my expensive bird feeders! They do this regularly in New Bern, which is why I bring my bird feeders in each night and proceed with caution whenever I take my dog out at night.

Here is a link with their range!

https://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0...sion%20Map.pdf

Last edited by escapenc; 08-27-2023 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: Added Link

Old 08-27-2023, 07:16 AM

922 posts, read 751,176 times
Quote:
Apparently bears do not occupy the central part of NC. This explains why I never saw them during all of the years that I lived in the Triangle. When I lived in Cary, I never had to worry about them sniffing around my front door or tearing apart my expensive bird feeders! They do this regularly in New Bern, which is why I bring my bird feeders in each night and proceed with caution whenever I take my dog out at night.

Here is a link with their range!

https://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0...sion%20Map.pdf
That is changing rapidly and bears are moving into the Piedmont.

"North Carolina’s black bear population is more prevalent in the mountains and coastal plain, but a report from the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission confirmed that “the population is expanding into the Piedmont and sightings are increasingly common, usually in May, June and July.”"

"These numbers suggest black bears may have a foothold in Granville, Person, Caswell and Rockingham Counties and may be just starting to move into others."

https://myfox8.com/news/north-caroli...iedmont-triad/

Old 09-19-2023, 07:10 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
I've lived in eastern NC for 17 years. I've never seen a live bear. I believe that black bears tend to avoid areas with a lot of dogs. I do hear coyotes from time to time at night, but then again, they would probably avoid areas with a lot of dogs too.

Old 09-23-2023, 07:35 AM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I've lived in eastern NC for 17 years. I've never seen a live bear. I believe that black bears tend to avoid areas with a lot of dogs. I do hear coyotes from time to time at night, but then again, they would probably avoid areas with a lot of dogs too.
Why would coyotes leave an abundant food source?

They won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina