Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2008, 07:22 AM

16 posts, read 65,292 times

Advertisements

We may possibly be relocating to the NB area in the next several months. Actually, if the job offer does not come for a few weeks, hubby may go and I stay here with my daughter to do her school year here. So, what are the best neighborhoods with families? We have a 12 year old daughter and a college age son . I am looking for the nice neighborhood where we can grill out with neighbors and feel safe about our 12 year old playing outside with friends. I see they are redoing a lot downtown, but that area concerns me - is it safe? I like the older homes, but concerned about the crime possibility in the area. We would be looking in the 250,000 - 350,000 range. Any advice?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 09:21 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,545,084 times
There are numerous neighborhoods in and around New Bern. The historic district of New Bern is very safe and polpular and expensive with lots of rules and taxes.
Caolina Colours is a new neighborhood outside of New Bern that is very popular as is Brices Creek. Trent Woods is nice. The best thing to do is come down here and look at the neighborhoods on Saturdays and Sundays to get a feel of them.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:26 PM

33 posts, read 106,309 times
I was born and raised in New Bern. There are many wonderful, safe neighborhoods. I have a son turning 13 this week and he loves it here. There are many homes I sell in the range you are talking about. I grew up in Trent Woods. One of my favorite neighborhoods is Trent Shores. It is still a neighborhood that has neighborhood get togethers and drops in to meet you with cookies etc. Lots of kids. Right along the Trent River. Not much turnover, but there is one home I know of in your price range right now.
Greenbriar is a great one too. Lots of trees, ponds, golf club. Also close to everything.

The historic district is beautiful. My grandparents owned a home built in the 1700's. Not much area for kids to play. Safety depends on the area you are talking about. Although I think of New Bern as very safe, there are some borderline areas.

Hunter's Ridge, on the opposite side of the Trent River is very pretty and full of kids.

Some of the newer developments like Carolina Colours are going to be beautiful, but have a lot of building to go. Not much for kids right now.

If you are moving from Charleston, I understand why you like older homes. The "Ghent" district has some beautiful older homes too if you are searching on-line.

You will love New Bern!

Martha

Old 07-17-2008, 08:08 AM

40 posts, read 229,334 times
trent woods...hands down

Old 07-20-2008, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 6,494 times
Any opinion on this place?
Woodland Crossing Apartments

Old 07-25-2008, 02:01 PM

4 posts, read 18,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amymc01 View Post
We may possibly be relocating to the NB area in the next several months. Actually, if the job offer does not come for a few weeks, hubby may go and I stay here with my daughter to do her school year here. So, what are the best neighborhoods with families? We have a 12 year old daughter and a college age son . I am looking for the nice neighborhood where we can grill out with neighbors and feel safe about our 12 year old playing outside with friends. I see they are redoing a lot downtown, but that area concerns me - is it safe? I like the older homes, but concerned about the crime possibility in the area. We would be looking in the 250,000 - 350,000 range. Any advice?
I have been looking for houses in New Bern with my wife. We are planning on relocating very soon...I did come across NewBernHomeGuide.com It has lots of info that made looking for houses a lot easier for us and which neighborhoods we liked. I really suggest looking at it...My wife and I spend each night looking at it narrowing down our decisions.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:08 PM

31 posts, read 140,959 times
Hi Friends,

I'm looking at a house to buy near the river off of Bern Street from a friend of mine. Some of the street looks a bit run down, but the other side looks pretty good. I'm not staying there long, so I was wondering if that area is nice and if the resale market is good? Are there jobs around nearby? Schools seem nice and the and the local seems quite enough. I want to be able to make my money back after the sale?

THanks.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:27 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,030,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Lake Patriot 1970 View Post
I'm looking at a house to buy near the river off of Bern Street from a friend of mine. Some of the street looks a bit run down, but the other side looks pretty good. I'm not staying there long, so I was wondering if that area is nice and if the resale market is good?
I would not take the chance on that area of New Bern. There is project housing nearby, and every so often they talk about tearing it down.

For an objective measure, please look at resales on Zillow. For example, the days on market figures which are available, and the resale prices.

If you are military, I'd suggest a more conventional suburban house close to Cherry Point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina