Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 07:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,899 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone, I have read comments that are several years old regarding these two communities in Leland, NC. We have just retired and are looking for a resale home in Brunswick Forest and Waterford. How hard is it to sell a home if you have to move? How are the social activities? Are most happy in either place? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 04:09 PM

588 posts, read 1,438,429 times
The two developments are similar in some ways (such as style of most houses, size of most lots, demographics of neighborhoods, etc.), but vastly different in other ways.

--- Brunswick Forest (BF) is HUGE. I believe it has/will have over 12,000 homes (?) and around 4500 acres of land.

--- Waterford of the Carolinas (WOTC) is much smaller. I believe it has/will have fewer than 2000 homes(?) and 500 acres of land.

--- BF has a golf course, though it is not currently (at least I don't think it is) a "buy in" course that requires residents to pay dues to the course even if they do not use it. I heard that may change in the future, but I am not sure if that is correct or not.

--- WOTC does not have a golf course, though residents are welcome to go play (for a fee) at one of the public courses.

--- BF has multiple pools, clubhouses, etc.

--- WOTC has one main clubhouse with pool

---BF has access to "natural" bodies of water

--- WOTC's waterways are all man-made canals and a pond/lake.

---BF's landscaping is primarily more "natural" and pine-tree based.

---WOTC's landscaping is primarily more "planned," with a mix of pine trees and more tropical trees and flowers.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:31 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue7777 View Post
How hard is it to sell a home if you have to move?
I believe you can get some advice from a buyer broker who has access to days-on-market data. I believe both places have attractive resales in the under $300K market. It is getting harder to find "affordable" new homes in the lower end of the market. As more baby boomers hit the retirement age, I believe that it would not be hard to resell. The usual caveats apply: don't overspend initially, don't upgrade more than the neighborhood, and keep the decorating neutral. It is very popular to have a screened porch, so I would look for that in a house.

I prefer the landscaping in Waterford, as I find Brunswick Forest a little too barren. But that is a personal choice. I would also avoid buying a house on a pond, given the slim possibility of flooding.

I think you should also look at Magnolia Greens. My in-laws live there, and they are happy with the house. They have plenty of social activities to join if they want to. Their only reservation is that the house does not have enough storage.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-18-2016 at 01:44 PM..

Old 04-18-2016, 11:34 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue7777 View Post
Are most happy in either place? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
There is a low-to-average number of homes for sales in both communities. I think most resales are due to life changes rather than unhappiness.

One factor to be aware of in Brunswick Forest is that there is a tract of vacant land to the east. A couple of years ago some local rednecks were trespassing on the land and target shooting. Some of their bullets penetrated windows on Lillibridge Drive. No one was hurt, but I would certainly ask if the County Sheriff has that situation under control.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-18-2016 at 11:50 PM..

Old 05-26-2017, 03:01 PM

213 posts, read 211,413 times
I'm thinking that maybe Waterford sounds better for us by reading above posts . We aren't into golf anymore but do want to keep active,be in social activities neighbors . At 65 and 67 we plan to keep having fun for as long as we can

Old 05-27-2017, 02:11 PM

17 posts, read 29,247 times
Default Magnolia Greens

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I believe you can get some advice from a buyer broker who has access to days-on-market data. I believe both places have attractive resales in the under $300K market. It is getting harder to find "affordable" new homes in the lower end of the market. As more baby boomers hit the retirement age, I believe that it would not be hard to resell. The usual caveats apply: don't overspend initially, don't upgrade more than the neighborhood, and keep the decorating neutral. It is very popular to have a screened porch, so I would look for that in a house.

I prefer the landscaping in Waterford, as I find Brunswick Forest a little too barren. But that is a personal choice. I would also avoid buying a house on a pond, given the slim possibility of flooding.

I think you should also look at Magnolia Greens. My in-laws live there, and they are happy with the house. They have plenty of social activities to join if they want to. Their only reservation is that the house does not have enough storage.
I have seen a great deal of videos and reporting regarding the flooding of the Magnolia Greens golf course. There has been talk that the town cannot afford correcting the civil engineering required to eliminate the flooding issue. Thus, there's been talk that they'll require the residents to foot the bill.

I'd research that before you move into that community. That, along with Federal Flood Insurance and the
possibility of having to purchase private flood insurance.

Good luck.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Burke View Post
I have seen a great deal of videos and reporting regarding the flooding of the Magnolia Greens golf course. There has been talk that the town cannot afford correcting the civil engineering required to eliminate the flooding issue. Thus, there's been talk that they'll require the residents to foot the bill.

I'd research that before you move into that community. That, along with Federal Flood Insurance and the
possibility of having to purchase private flood insurance.

Good luck.
wow thanks for the info. Definitely will check. We have at least a year so will look at all options

Old 06-21-2017, 07:00 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
We have friends who rented there for a couple of months over the winter. They decided not to buy in Magnolia Greens-

Leland seeks a solution for Magnolia Greens flooding issue - News - Wilmington Star News - Wilmington, NC

Old 08-08-2017, 07:59 AM

Default magnolia greens

Do you know the reason they decided not to buy in MG?

Old 08-08-2017, 09:04 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinehurstcharlie View Post
Do you know the reason they decided not to buy in MG?
Wouldn't you think it was due to the flooding issues referenced in the newspaper article?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina