Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2008, 08:13 PM

4 posts, read 15,498 times

Advertisements

How's is the economy holding up in Coastal Carolina.

Love to know.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 05:46 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,854,688 times
well, wilmington doesn't really have a real economy. it's tourism based. tourism was down last year due to gas prices, but it seemed crowded here to me. I guess the economy would depend on what it is you do. tourism is always going to flourish here, but the construction field took a massive hit within the last year.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:05 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,059,272 times
I don't know about the general economy along the coast, but I saw this article in the Star News yesterday-

Potential buyers take foreclosure tour in Carolina Beach | StarNewsOnline.com | Star-News | Wilmington, NC

In 3-4 weeks, Oak Island is the next forclosure tour.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:13 AM

I think that the economy within the city of wilmington is much better. the problem with places like southport an oak island is that they were overbuilt, and there are NO jobs. it's also far enough away from wilmington so that you would not want to commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
I don't know about the general economy along the coast, but I saw this article in the Star News yesterday-

Potential buyers take foreclosure tour in Carolina Beach | StarNewsOnline.com | Star-News | Wilmington, NC

In 3-4 weeks, Oak Island is the next forclosure tour.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:52 PM

214 posts, read 823,118 times
It depends on what part of Coastal Carolina you are referring to. Things here in Southport are quiet but not desperate, other areas, where we saw a lot of over-speculation are suffering, due to inflated pricing in a short amount of time. Builders here have not over-built, as we have attempted to point out to several posters who do not even live here, but feel they have to contribute. Those that are building are doing so in the mid to lower $200,000. range, and more in line with people's pocket books.
Friends took me out to dinner the other night during the week, at Joseph's in South Harbor, and there were plenty of folks dining and enjoying themselves. Our restaurants and shopping continue to attract people, and the commute to Wilmington is only 30 to 45 minutes, heck when I lived in DC, that was a normal commute time.
We are in a cyclical down market right now, and the media and election news isn't contributing to people's moods. I myself have stopped listening to the news in the morning, ruins my day.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:02 PM

4 posts, read 15,498 times
Thanks for all your responses.

Seashellebelle are your retired to Southport? Or just relocated ? I agree about the commute. Typical here is 30 minutes.

We visited your area over Labor day and loved the quaintness of Southport. We took the ferry from Kure Beach to Southport. We are looking to relocate somewhere to the East Coast. We plan to find a business buy. Were thinking Wilmington area might be a possibility.

Is there much of an economy other than tourism. I know that UNC Wilmington is there and a few other big companies.

Souinds like Wilmington is being hit in general like other parts of the country.

Any input would be great.

Thanks again

Old 10-30-2008, 08:44 AM

there's isn't much of an economy besides tourism, but there is a little. the biggest companies in the area would be corning, GE, verizon, and PPD. the commute from southport to wilmington depends on the time of day. traffic can get really backed up because the town going into wilmington is 2 lanes and there is a school on the road that really slows things down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by werechangin View Post
Thanks for all your responses.

Seashellebelle are your retired to Southport? Or just relocated ? I agree about the commute. Typical here is 30 minutes.

We visited your area over Labor day and loved the quaintness of Southport. We took the ferry from Kure Beach to Southport. We are looking to relocate somewhere to the East Coast. We plan to find a business buy. Were thinking Wilmington area might be a possibility.

Is there much of an economy other than tourism. I know that UNC Wilmington is there and a few other big companies.

Souinds like Wilmington is being hit in general like other parts of the country.

Any input would be great.

Thanks again

Old 10-30-2008, 12:53 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by werechangin View Post
Real Estate and healthcare are both very big components of Wilmington's GDP. Obviously, real estate and homebuilders are in some very lean times. I would guess that healthcare is humming along.

I think anything related to retirees should do well. The military and the port are big employers, and there's a fair amount of heavy industry in the area. There are also a big few high-tech outfits like GE, PPD, and Corning.

In general, though, Wilmington lacks good white-collar jobs. Plus we all get paid in "beach dollars".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina