Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 05:51 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times

Advertisements

NCSC,
We bought our house in Jersey 16 years ago for 190,000, taxes then 3800.
Assessed value of this house today 510,000, taxes=10,000.
Like Printman said, car insurance is ridiculously high and worse for those of us who have teens on our policies!
We do love living here while we are both working and able to pay for it but can't see doing this when we retire in several years!

Printman,
Good luck with the sale of your home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 03:32 PM

219 posts, read 852,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
NCSC,
We bought our house in Jersey 16 years ago for 190,000, taxes then 3800.
Assessed value of this house today 510,000, taxes=10,000.
Like Printman said, car insurance is ridiculously high and worse for those of us who have teens on our policies!
We do love living here while we are both working and able to pay for it but can't see doing this when we retire in several years!

Printman,
Good luck with the sale of your home!
JJ,
Don't your circumstances but a little advice from a "dope" who should be in better financial shape than he is.
Don't know how long until you can retire and what you plan. If you are thinking about NC SC or anywhere south............get yourself some "dirt" now. If you can do it...........buy a piece of ground now. If it turns out you don't or can't move when you retire I'm sure someone will be more than happy to take it off your hands.
Since my Air Force days to today I have always loved the southern experience. Visiting NC these past years just reinforced that love. We are moving because of finances but believe me living in the south and NC is a dream I have had for years and Judy came to love the area more and more each year.
At our age this is just a huge undertaking that we really couldn't plan for until this past year. The only drawback for us...........the only drawback will be that our kids have no interest in moving with us. Hope that will change.
Sounds like you live a north in Jersey so I can't see things getting any better for you guys. The boys in Trenton talk a good game. Dems and Repubs but let's be honest here. It is always about the money and you really don't think they are gonna give up the cash do you?
Best of luck
Dennis

Old 06-12-2007, 03:44 PM

858 posts, read 2,992,418 times
Default How did you come to pick Calabash/Shallotte area?

We live in Brick, NJ and have been looking to retire in NC. So far we like the New Bern area, but still need to visit other areas.

How did you decide on the Calabash/Shallotte area?

My main concern would be hurricanes; How is the medical care?

But really, what were the deciding factors on that area over other NC costal areas?
Thank you,.....marc

Old 06-12-2007, 05:23 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
Printman & Marc,
We've been vacationing in the N Myrtle Beach area for 30 years (working on that golf game!) Too many high rises in Myrtle-so we hopped the border and found the beautiful island of Sunset Beach.
Couple of years ago we started getting nervous about all the development going on down there and feared that there would be nothing affordable by the time we were ready to retire. So 2 1/2 years ago we bought a lot and hope to have it paid off by the time we are ready to retire.
Our lot is on the mainland of Sunset and 50' above sea level.
Marc- Shallotte and Calabash are sort of protected by Sunset and Bird Islands but there are certainly no guarentees-price you pay for living near the ocean!
And we moved to Jersey from Mississippi so the south, hurricanes and tornadoes are pretty familiar to us.
Printman-just sell that house in Jersey. Get your butt down to Calabash and give your kids a great vacation spot!!!

Old 06-13-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Marc515 Shallotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
We live in Brick, NJ and have been looking to retire in NC. So far we like the New Bern area, but still need to visit other areas.

How did you decide on the Calabash/Shallotte area?

My main concern would be hurricanes; How is the medical care?

But really, what were the deciding factors on that area over other NC costal areas?
Thank you,.....marc
Marc,
I have been going down to SC (Myrtle) for some time. In 1996 I took Judy down and halfway there had to figure out what we were gonna do since she doesn't golf.
Anyway, she fell in love with the whole deal. And she is a South Philly girl.
When we vacationed in SC we put more than 800 miles on the rental car in a week each time we went down.
My brother moved down to Calabash three years ago. When we visited we really liked the town. Real small but real nice. My brother is my only living family but that is not the major reason we are movin to the area.
After Judy's mom passed away last year and the things that are going on in NJ and our town.............we realized that it was necessary to move.
We started to look and since we had visited Shallotte we included that area.
Shallotte is small but they have just about what is necessary. Goodness, they even have a Walmart.
My brother and the place we have a deposit on have not had any major problems with "canes". The lady who next door to the place we want said she has been thru 5 major storms since 1995 and has had no real problems.
As for medical care............There are a few medical centers close to Calabash/Shallotte and Myrtle has some real good medical facilities. Judy has a defibralator (spelling?) and it kicked off one year. We had real good care at the Myrtle facility. We are also about 40 miles from Wilmington and they have real good hospitals. Judy has a NUMBER of medical problems and we are comfortable with the move. The only thing that concerns her is finding a FAMILY DOCTOR. Of course, EVERYBODY EVERWHERE HAS THAT PROBLEM. They just don't make Docs the same.
Another reason for NC over SC...........a little friendlier towards retired senior types like us. Financially, NC is better for us.
If we were better off money wise (my fault) I MAY have picked another costal location. But I don't think so. Really like the area of Calabash/Shallotte. Can't say enough about the local people and their genuine honesty and courtesy. The towns are smaller but you don't feel like you are remote. Close the waterway and ocean yet far enough away so you don't have a "personal" accident during a storm.
I guess, it's like the house we have the deposit on. We looked at 5 million places on line and while down there in May we looked at probably 10 places. When Judy walked into this one.............she said, "This is the one". Wasn't the newest or the most expensive. In fact, we even looked at a couple of newly built homes. Same, I guess, with the Calabash/Shallotte area. For us............."This is the one".
My best wishes to you and yours.
All the luck.
Dennis
NJ (higher taxes)
NJ (More crime)
NJ (Snow and cold)
NC ..........................Priceless

Old 06-13-2007, 04:22 PM

Default JerseyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Printman & Marc,
We've been vacationing in the N Myrtle Beach area for 30 years (working on that golf game!) Too many high rises in Myrtle-so we hopped the border and found the beautiful island of Sunset Beach.
Couple of years ago we started getting nervous about all the development going on down there and feared that there would be nothing affordable by the time we were ready to retire. So 2 1/2 years ago we bought a lot and hope to have it paid off by the time we are ready to retire.
Our lot is on the mainland of Sunset and 50' above sea level.
Marc- Shallotte and Calabash are sort of protected by Sunset and Bird Islands but there are certainly no guarentees-price you pay for living near the ocean!
And we moved to Jersey from Mississippi so the south, hurricanes and tornadoes are pretty familiar to us.
Printman-just sell that house in Jersey. Get your butt down to Calabash and give your kids a great vacation spot!!!
JerseyJ
I hate you. I hate you a lot.
You were smart and grabbed that piece of "dirt" while the getting was good.
I hate you.
Now you have to get your "stuff" in order because that my friend may be the smartest move you made in your life.
I'm sure you have seen the balloon in prices for "dirt" in Brunswick County. By the time you are ready to move.............OH MY.
We can still be friends and I can still envy you BUT I still hate you for being so much smarter than I was.
Hey JerseyJ goooooooooood luck and hang on to that piece of "dirt" and just think what life will be when you are ready to retire and sit on your tush doing nothing.
Dennis

Old 06-19-2007, 08:17 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Dennis / Woodlynne NJ (borders Camden NJ............sure you recognize Camden which is the final reason to MOVE.)[/quote]

Camden!!! That alone would have me running for the hills....
You also forgot the wonderful state of NJ will charge you an "exit tax" when you sell and leave here

Old 06-19-2007, 09:32 AM

648 posts, read 2,979,664 times
For those reading this thread who would need a job that would support a family: Unfortunately Calabash/Shallotte offer little in the way of economic opportunity. There are golf courses and other amusements designed for the beach vacationers, but no real economic opportunity. Maybe as the retired population continues to swell, more will be available in the medical field.

That said, I'll be on a Brunswick county beach next week!

Old 06-19-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Dennis / Woodlynne NJ (borders Camden NJ............sure you recognize Camden which is the final reason to MOVE.)
You also forgot the wonderful state of NJ will charge you an "exit tax" when you sell and leave here[/quote]

Kate,
Thanks for the "exit tax" info. Do you know the rate that I will be "allowed" to pay NJ for leaving?
Just one more reason.
Dennis

Old 06-20-2007, 02:07 PM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njprintman View Post
You also forgot the wonderful state of NJ will charge you an "exit tax" when you sell and leave here
Kate,
Thanks for the "exit tax" info. Do you know the rate that I will be "allowed" to pay NJ for leaving?
Just one more reason.
Dennis[/quote]

No, but your realtor should know
Checking different stuff and when I find a link that explains I'll post for you

Last edited by njkate; 06-20-2007 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: add content
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina