Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 01:56 PM

21 posts, read 107,873 times

Advertisements

I am starting to think about planning a summer beach vacation. There will be 3 families with 4 kids under the age of 5, and we'd like to rent a house on the beach for a week.

I want to go somewhere that has other things to do besides the beach (like a boardwalk, putt-putt, etc.). Growing up we always drove to OBX, but there wasn't anything to do in the evenings, so it was kind of boring.

I was thinking Myrtle Beach might be a good option. Does any one have other suggestions? And, I'll also be looking for an agency to book the house, so please if you're familiar with a good one, please let me know. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 02:14 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,282,671 times
I'd have to say not to Myrtle if you have young children. I go to Myrtle regularly and I won't take my son until he is 16.

I would look into Wilmington and beaches around there. I went there for the 4th one year... great. There is the Battleship, the aquarium and other beach fare. You HAVE to check out the Tregembo Animal Park (formerly Tote-Em-In Zoo)!!!!

I have a friend who is a realtor there and can pass along her name, but you can search online for house ideas and prices.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:37 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,251 times
I would also go to the beaches in the Wilmington area. Wrightsville is great and you also have Carolina, Kure, and Fort Fisher. In addition to what rockinmomma mentioned, downtown Wilmington is nearby and is a great historic town. I lived in Wilmington for a year and I miss downtown and the beaches. That's all I miss though. I would say make a day of it downtown and at the battleship to avoid driving through Wilmington b/c of the traffic and tourists who can't drive in the area. Myrtle Beach is ok, but NC beaches are definitely better for families and prettier IMO.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:42 PM

21 posts, read 107,873 times
I've only been to Wilmington beaches during the day, but it didn't seem like there was a lot to do in the evenings, with kids. Maybe I just didn't look in the right places? That's why I was leaning towards Myrtle beach or a place like that that has putt-putts, boardwalks, outdoor arcades, etc....

Old 12-11-2008, 02:52 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
I definately second Myrtle Beach. We've taken our kids there when they were young. It is fine. Lots to do! Although, they don't have an actual boardwalk, they have a street right on the beach that mimics a boardwalk. They have Broadway at the Beach and that's a fun place too. It's very reasonable to stay there too.
Discover Myrtle Beach - Tourist and Visitor Guide

Old 12-11-2008, 03:01 PM

850 posts, read 4,741,012 times
I disagree with the others. I think there's more to do with small kids in MB than in NC beaches...and I know this from experience as MB is my hometown!

There's so much more in Myrtle...all the putt putts, Ripley's Aquarium, go karts, the new theme park, water slides, Brookgreen Gardens, Broadway and Barefoot, themed restaurants like Hard Rock and Planet Hollywood, Aligator Adventure, etc. There are tons of fireworks displays and shows too. Plus all the great shopping and dining. It's definitely grown into a touristy, commercial destination, but if you're looking for a lot of fun with young kids, it's hands down the best choice. I love the NC beaches, but my kids are so bored there.

Seaside Rentals is a pretty reputable place down there. As is Condolux and Chicora. I recommend staying in N. Myrtle. It's a little less busy, generally better rates, but your still close enough to everything. Let me know if you have any specific questions!

Old 12-11-2008, 03:45 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,240 times
Default reply

or you could rent a place at Ocean Isle or Sunset beach and be within an easy drive of Myrtle Beach. This is what we did when I was little. My dad says now that it saved him from having to do something in Myrtle Beach daily. I think kids need to learn to simply enjoy the beach without having to be entertained. My kids love to spend all day on the beach most everyday of the entire summer. Good luck.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:50 PM

46 posts, read 140,216 times
We went to the OBX with 3 kids under 5 and had a great time.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:53 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytarheelz View Post
I disagree with the others. I think there's more to do with small kids in MB than in NC beaches...and I know this from experience as MB is my hometown!

There's so much more in Myrtle...all the putt putts, Ripley's Aquarium, go karts, the new theme park, water slides, Brookgreen Gardens, Broadway and Barefoot, themed restaurants like Hard Rock and Planet Hollywood, Aligator Adventure, etc. There are tons of fireworks displays and shows too. Plus all the great shopping and dining. It's definitely grown into a touristy, commercial destination, but if you're looking for a lot of fun with young kids, it's hands down the best choice. I love the NC beaches, but my kids are so bored there.

Seaside Rentals is a pretty reputable place down there. As is Condolux and Chicora. I recommend staying in N. Myrtle. It's a little less busy, generally better rates, but your still close enough to everything. Let me know if you have any specific questions!
I agree!

Old 12-11-2008, 04:58 PM

8 posts, read 19,757 times
I would consider Sunset Beach. Its a nice family beach but 30 minutes from Myrtle Beach if you need some entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina