Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2007, 04:11 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,103,472 times

Advertisements

Hi, How is it living in Wilmington and the surrounding beach communites?
Is the weather nice most the time? If there is a hurricane warning, does everyone pack up and go? Does it get hot and humid in the summer? Is it a safe area? How do you like it? Are real estate prices good=going up, or going down or staying the same? Lots of shopping? Please tell, tell, tell. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 04:45 PM

219 posts, read 853,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Is the weather nice most the time? If there is a hurricane warning, does everyone pack up and go? Does it get hot and humid in the summer? Is it a safe area? How do you like it? Are real estate prices good=going up, or going down or staying the same? Lots of shopping? Please tell, tell, tell. Thanks!
Roma,
You will get tons of help on this forum.
We are moving in a couple of months to the Calabash/Shallotte area. About 35/40miles from Wilmington. We have been vacationing there for the last ten years and it is a great area. The prices of homes and especially land has gone through the roof. There are still plenty of places that are reasonable and that will help us (retiring).
The Calabash area is just great. No toooo small not toooo rural.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:29 PM

45 posts, read 218,669 times
Default wilm

Love Wilmington ... grew up there and my family is still there. Let's see ... real estate is expensive and holding. The prices have shot up like carzy the past 3 years and have not come down like where we are in Florida. We are building a house in Wilm. that we can no longer afford since our house in FL keeps going down. Taxes are high according to the complaints of my parents!

Lots of things to do ... the weather is GREAT!! After living in MA, Greenville, Asheville, and the Orlando area ... Wilmington is my favorite. Yes there are hurricanes but you get used to them ... mostly just people at the beaches or in trailers leave. I remember in high school we would sneak onto the beach to watch the waves during hurricanes. I remember the waves touching the underside of one of the piers. Crazy ...

Traffic is bad for the area but nothing like backed up I-4 here in Orlando.

Jobs ... harder to get since so many people want to move to Wilm. If you get a transfer ... lucky you!!

28409 (one of several) is a good zip and has been for a while. Brunswick County has a "not so good" reputation among locals but I'm sure that will change with the thousands of people moving in! Hampstead (North ... along the coast) is growing as well. Wrightsville would be more desirable to me than Carolina Beach. Parents have a place at Ocean Isle and it is very quiet compared with the two.

Hope this helps ... let me know if you want more info!

Old 03-06-2007, 08:15 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,478,176 times
I haven't lived here long, but this is what I can tell:

Quote:
It has lots of problems, but it's a very charming city.

Quote:
Is the weather nice most the time?
It's nice right now. It gets cold in the winter, but it is fairly sunny even then.

Quote:
If there is a hurricane warning, does everyone pack up and go?
I think so, yes.

Quote:
Does it get hot and humid in the summer?
Yes

Quote:
Is it a safe area?
The suburban-type areas are, the downtown generally isn't. For example, I live in a "safe area" of downtown, and I find that people like to go through and open my mail when I'm at work.

Quote:
How do you like it?
It's nice. Historic and old. Like I said, though, it has a lot of problems.

Quote:
Are real estate prices good=going up, or going down or staying the same?
Skyrocketed for a while, and have reached a temporary lull.

Quote:
Lots of shopping?
Good, but not great.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:49 PM

103 posts, read 900,050 times
No jobs and it has become to expensive to live since everyone wants to move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina