Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 07:11 AM

10 posts, read 28,384 times

Advertisements

To jkkruner: Homeowners Association that's where I meant, you pay a monthly fee for mantaining common areas and for them to tell you what you cannot do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 07:08 PM

116 posts, read 338,821 times
But there is Indochine there on Market St. Not Chinese but very very good Thai and Vietnamese food.
As for Chinese, having visited China not really any places short of a major cities Chinatown area to get godo authentic Chinese food. Godo thing is loads of folks from china, make friends with the, (Our eldest daughter we adopted from China) so we get invited over from time to time and home cooked Chinese no matter where is way way better than syrupy stuff from restaurants. Good little vietnamese/asian market also off of Market st. Also a good thai place downtown

Old 04-09-2012, 02:33 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgpeacock View Post
But there is Indochine there on Market St. Not Chinese but very very good Thai and Vietnamese food.
As for Chinese, having visited China not really any places short of a major cities Chinatown area to get godo authentic Chinese food. Godo thing is loads of folks from china, make friends with the, (Our eldest daughter we adopted from China) so we get invited over from time to time and home cooked Chinese no matter where is way way better than syrupy stuff from restaurants. Good little vietnamese/asian market also off of Market st. Also a good thai place downtown
Yeah, but Chinese isn't Thai and Vietnamese - very different cuisines, different countries - Thai and Vietnamese won't satisfy a craving for Chinese. Having said that - Double Happiness is quite good

I do cook it at home a lot though. Totally agree that the syrupy stuff is nasty!

Old 05-22-2012, 03:46 PM

870 posts, read 1,678,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgpeacock View Post
Indochine...The BEST!

Old 05-22-2012, 04:01 PM

870 posts, read 1,678,160 times
Wrmsmrw "People criticizing Wilmington are either used to living in a bubble, or never lived anywhere else"

Wow. I don't care for Wilmington (I live here and moving soon). I have never lived in a bubble and I have lived elsewhere. I've lived all over New England (including Boston for 10 years), CT, VT, ME, MA as well as NY, NJ and FL. I've traveled the world extensively including England, Greece, Switzerland, Africa, Italy, Scottland, Canada, and most of this beautiful country to mention just a few locations.

I think maybe the people that may not care for Wilmington may be the ones that HAVE lived elsewhere and outside the "bubble." I spoke with someone that moved here 9 months ago who has also lived and travelled in many great places in this world and they too are moving away from Wilmington because they don't care for it.

There are many nice things to be said about Wilmington, as anywhere, but for us, we just don't care for it. It's our personal opinion as you have yours. But don't lump my opinion as someone who has lived in a bubble..certainly quite the opposite.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:25 PM

4 posts, read 15,046 times
Default Here's the skinny on Wilmington...

Wilmington is a great town, actually my favorite in North Carolina (that is coming from a North Carolinian who has lived in nearly every corner of the state)

The main drawback to Wilmington is similar to the main drawback to Asheville... There is a serious lack of mid-level jobs. If you are moving there and don't already have employment lined up then get read to get in line for a job in the tertiary/services industry.

Wilmington is full of great musics, great food (fine dining and quirky homegrown eateries both), a really great selection of bars and plenty to do with beaches, acquariums and parks all close by.

There are lots of little festivals and cool things to do throughout the year.

Wilmington would appeal most to teenagers, college students and the 25-45 year old crowd. You can escape whichever demographic you don't wish to be around by choosing the neighborhood you live in wisely.

Wilmington home prices seem about on par with other places in the state that are beautiful and fun to live in. There are deals on older homes out there and there are definitely deals out there as far as rental properties go... you just have to look for them.

Crime is not bad at all as long as you stay out of the main slummy areas (most of which are located in a distinct location about 3 blocks from downtown) These areas actually can be rough and there is a large homeless population that can be found around the waterfront and downtown areas... but these areas are TOTALLY avoidable unless you happen to decide to venture off the beaten path somewhere really sketchy to get yourself a crackrock... basically what I am saying is that you can find trouble if you want to, but you would definitely have to go out of your way to do so.

Roads coming into Wilmington are all great and easily accessible... however once you get into town all the main thoroughfares are going to be a total mess. The good thing about Wilmington is that there are tons of sidestreets and once you get to know the layout of the town, shortcuts are easy to find. Before long you will have no problem sideskirting the traffic along the main roads (College, Market, Oleander, 17th Street)

Like I have already stated, the biggest downer about Wilmington is the job market.... You get tons of people staying in Wilmington after college and working really low paying jobs just so that they can live in such an awesome town. The job market is very competitive for the "career oriented" jobs.
I am deciding to move back down to the Seagate area of Wilmington sometime in August or September. (by the way I am 29 now)

Good luck!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-21-2012 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: tos violation

Old 06-22-2012, 10:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,417 times
[url=http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20120621/ARTICLES/120629929/1177?Title=Five-facing-charges-for-murder-of-delivery-driver]Five facing charges after allegedly killing delivery driver, then taking food home to eat | StarNewsOnline.com[/url]

If you care about your family members don't bring them near Wilmington, NC. The place is falling apart faster than Detroit, Miami, and Washington DC. Crime has gone through the roof and not one Democrat or Republican politician is doing or saying anything about it. Protect your children at all costs and please don't let our trashy government school them.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:31 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
tomikenow: Have you been to Detroit lately? Trust me... the ILM has NOTHING on Detroit... I'm not even the biggest fan of Wilmington but contend that it's not falling apart *that* quickly. It's not great, but there are worse places.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:46 PM

3 posts, read 7,723 times
Default I will take Wilmington anyday over Cincinnati !! But I need help!!

Husband possibly transferred very quickly soon. We may have a weekend to fly out and look around and find place to live. We are 40-45 year olds, apartment dwellers, 2 little dogs, easy going very mid-class people who hang out at home, go to dinner and a movie here an there and love to watch sports . He would be working close to intersection on Oleander and Independence. Any suggestions of neighborhoods with good apartment complexes to look at. We will avoid right around campus as I have seen on the map it is somewhat close. If we looked at surrounding areas, maybe suggestions there too that would be no longer than 20 minute drive for him. Thanks so much, Im praying this happens!!

Old 07-16-2012, 02:40 PM

5 posts, read 9,992 times
I am looking at a job in Rocky Point and wanted to live in Wilmington for socail opportunities. Housing is hard to come by if you have pets and don't want to live in what is basically an off campus dorm. I found an apt at 812 Orange street. It was tough to tell about the neighborhood because it was daytime. Any thoughts? Good? Bad? RUN!??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina