Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 06:09 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrances22 View Post
For example, there is some mentions of aggressive panhandling, and we didn't see anything like that. Rather, it seemed like a pretty cool, safe, smaller city. Loved the architecture, and the proximity to the beach.
I was just in Wilmington today. While there are areas I would not go in after dark, I think 90% or more of the city is safe. With a normal middle-class budget, you should be able to live in a safe area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 07:36 PM

13 posts, read 16,229 times
Thank you for your thoughts! What about the impact opioids have had on the area? Does it impact quality of life for everyone? Or is it more like if you aren't involved in that lifestyle, you generally wouldn't notice?

Old 10-27-2017, 01:34 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
What about the impact opioids have had on the area? Does it impact quality of life for everyone? Or is it more like if you aren't involved in that lifestyle, you generally wouldn't notice?
We are not involved with opioids, and our neighbors are not either. However, if you live in an area with other middle-income homeowners, you might want a good security system to deter break-ins.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:39 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
Here is a good article regarding the Opioid issue in Wilmington...

https://www.northcarolinahealthnews....es-wilmington/

I note this quote in regards to Wilmington being a huge recovery center...

“When you compare our area to other counties nearby, they are resource deserts,” she said. “So people have to come here.”

Go back to my comments in 2015. Wilmington is a REAL city with history, character, problems and resources, not some suburban sprawl with no soul that gets celebrated in city guide rankings.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:53 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,379,350 times
Quote:
What is the general sense of Wilmington today? I made a brief visit a year ago, and it is difficult for me to square the early comments on this thread (obviously years old) with what we experienced. (But as I mentioned, my visit was very short). For example, there is some mentions of aggressive panhandling, and we didn't see anything like that. Rather, it seemed like a pretty cool, safe, smaller city. Loved the architecture, and the proximity to the beach. Couldn't really tell locals v tourists as an outsider, but walking/dining downtown, most people seemed friendly and relaxed. (Not sure of the board etiquette re whether it is better to start a whole new thread, or if it is ok to revive an already existing thread on the same topic).
My general sense is that its a great place to live. I live in Southport, but visit Wilmington almost weekly, and I have many family members who live there. They all love it.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:15 PM

13 posts, read 16,229 times
Thanks for all the recent comments!

Old 11-02-2017, 04:53 AM

37 posts, read 56,280 times
wow! the "I used to" crowd seems a little out of touch. I live in Wilmington, for about 6 years now between here and Carolina Beach. No high crime, unless you go to THAT part of town. Traffic is as good or bad as Anytown USA if you drive during PEAK times morning or afternoon. New & older homes, neighborhoods, retail and restaurants to choose from.

I drive these roads daily, like today Nov 2, 2017...

It is always such a letdown when the negative nancies blow up a place based on THEIR experience there. Life is an individual journey with extremely personal factors that make everything we choose valuable or not valuable to us. I've found this forum to be valued at arms length, so many folks hide their profile or description of who they are. You could be an outdoors loving adventure chasing person taking advice from a retired banking executive that has no clue what your life is about or vice versa. Just my opinion lol...

Old 11-02-2017, 06:36 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,976,558 times
Quote:
What is the general sense of Wilmington today? I made a brief visit a year ago, and it is difficult for me to square the early comments on this thread (obviously years old) with what we experienced. (But as I mentioned, my visit was very short). For example, there is some mentions of aggressive panhandling, and we didn't see anything like that. Rather, it seemed like a pretty cool, safe, smaller city. Loved the architecture, and the proximity to the beach. Couldn't really tell locals v tourists as an outsider, but walking/dining downtown, most people seemed friendly and relaxed. (Not sure of the board etiquette re whether it is better to start a whole new thread, or if it is ok to revive an already existing thread on the same topic).
The biggest problem with Wilmington is it lacks good jobs. Essentially the core downtown is gentrified with the inner city poverty stricken / ghetto so crime concentration. If you have big city social / street skills I wouldn’t worry about it.

The city is very sprawly so people live all over. By the university , toward writesville all upscale.

There is decent panhandling downtown but it’s a large club and bar contingent downtown. There are homeless downtown.

It’s fine city to live in if the vibe fits with you. I don’t think they get as much high culture (no performing arts theater) (no major sports teams) so you know I would call it a small city

Old 11-02-2017, 06:45 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,379,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
The biggest problem with Wilmington is it lacks good jobs. Essentially the core downtown is gentrified with the inner city poverty stricken / ghetto so crime concentration. If you have big city social / street skills I wouldn’t worry about it.

The city is very sprawly so people live all over. By the university , toward writesville all upscale.

There is decent panhandling downtown but it’s a large club and bar contingent downtown. There are homeless downtown.

It’s fine city to live in if the vibe fits with you. I don’t think they get as much high culture (no performing arts theater) (no major sports teams) so you know I would call it a small city
Thalian Hall says hello!

Home - Thalian Hall Center for the Performing Arts

As does UNC-W's Mainstage Theater:

https://uncw.edu/theatre/THRBuilding/facilities.html

Old 01-22-2019, 09:24 PM

54 posts, read 65,272 times
I personally found it to be that bad.

The traffic is absolutely horrendous. You will spend 40 minutes in it and travel 6 miles on some days. Most people like to ride up your butt, like that does any good (pea brains). I couldn't wait to leave Wilmington. I found the commute in the morning to be hell, and the commute in the afternoon to be hell revisited. The roads should have been widened 10 years ago.

Good luck with the mystery stench, too. I asked at work what that "smell" was (it doesn't happen all the time) and they told me nobody is really sure - but Wilmington has a lot of muck, so it's probably coming from the ground. Others say it's from the meat processing plants. Nobody really knows for sure.

When shopping for apartments, say hello to the "everybody has to has to have a dog" crowd.

I got another job and left there and to this day I thank GOD that he smiled on me and I was able to escape that dreadful place. Most of the people were nice, however.

North Carolina just wasn't the place for me. They have state tax there, so watch out for that. And - I don't believe it's scaled. The poor people have to pay the same percentage on what they make as the middle class. They just came out with a new toll system, "invoice by mail." This has to be one of the worst systems I've ever experienced. People from out of state don't have to pay - but their own citizens they will take money from them 27/7/365. It takes a picture of your license plate and if you have a NC plate the invoice gets mailed to your home - (HOPEFULLY). For a measly 65-cents they almost put a stain on my credit report. OH YES - if you don't pay their toll, they will send it to collections. The problem is - the system doesn't work all the time. It's hard to pay online. It was harder for me since I left there - they could only send the invoice to the address that went with the license plate. Since I was in the process of moving, it was no longer a good address. Worst system of toll collection that could possibly be invented - and it's all yours in NC.

Downtown Wilmington has a parking issue. If you can park, it isn't so bad to go there once in a while. But I bet you can't park. If you are lucky enough to park, bring money to feed the meter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina