Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2017, 04:40 PM

144 posts, read 189,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
As far as I know, a virtual office/building is just an office building with space that businesses (or individuals) can rent on a yearly, monthly, daily or even hourly basis. The business gets a fancy address, mail service and they can even have their own receptionist and host meetings in the building if they wish. But they aren't tied to leasing an office for time not spent at the office. Rentable space can include options like a small personal office, conference rooms and study areas.

I believe this type of building is popular in some areas of the very small business world and the IT field where people can work from home and occasionally need to meet face to face for meetings. It's apparently cheaper to rent this way than a traditional office setting. You can lease the address and if you only need to use the building to have a meeting every Thursday at 8 am for 2 hours, you only pay for those 2 hours and another business comes in at 10:30 to have their meeting. Or if your company only needs to work 40 hours a week, it may be cheaper to just rent the office from 8-5 M-F instead of having to pay for your own office space somewhere else.

I'm not sure if this would be the best use for the space (maybe a small center within the imperial site), but it probably would work well in some of the available office spaces in Uptown Greenville. I think it's wanted in that area to increase traffic. Having different businesses using the same site on a daily basis could increase foot traffic in that area.

Regus is a big brand in the virtual office world. Here's an example of what a virtual office is.

Cap Trust Tower Virtual Office option with one simple price - Regus United States
I'm pretty sure a virtual building is like any other virtual reality application, it's not real except in cyberspace. I think Greenville Economic Development is considering or maybe already has possible buildings designed that companies interested in locating in the Greenville area can see online. Since building designs are already ready when a potential tenant makes a decision, it shortens the time for a tenant to get in the building and start their operation. However, there is a small chance I could be wrong.

The Cap Trust Tower mentioned is an actual building in the North Hills area of Raleigh, but I think the ad is demonstrating to potential lessees what their office space would look like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 12:30 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,763,824 times
County amends lease so Ronald McDonald house can expand - Daily Reflector

Old 02-08-2017, 06:28 AM

893 posts, read 1,342,711 times
Uptown Greenville Undergoing Historic Growth

Uptown Greenville undergoing “historic growth” | WNCT

Old 02-08-2017, 06:56 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
I'm pretty sure a virtual building is like any other virtual reality application, it's not real except in cyberspace. I think Greenville Economic Development is considering or maybe already has possible buildings designed that companies interested in locating in the Greenville area can see online. Since building designs are already ready when a potential tenant makes a decision, it shortens the time for a tenant to get in the building and start their operation. However, there is a small chance I could be wrong.

The Cap Trust Tower mentioned is an actual building in the North Hills area of Raleigh, but I think the ad is demonstrating to potential lessees what their office space would look like.
My sincere apologies everyone. Google was not my friend yesterday i guess

I"m clearly wrong. Here's a short article from last year on what the city wants to do with a virtual building.

Greenville City Council consider “virtual building” to attract business | WNCT

I guess it's having the ability to "show" a building online to companies that may want to locate here, but also building some commercial buildings so that it's already ready for the company to move in without the company needing to worry about construction costs.

I mean i kind of get it. But isn't this what a lot of private developers do anyway? They build a shopping center or a set of office buildings and wait for/market towards companies to come and fill them?

Old 02-08-2017, 07:37 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,819,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Uptown Greenville Undergoing Historic Growth

Uptown Greenville undergoing “historic growth†| WNCT
According to a similar article in the Daily Reflector, Dan Douglas is also wanting the city to put more attention to areas along the Tar River.

Urban planner: Take advantage of river - Daily Reflector

Quote:
Urban planner Dan Douglas said one of the keys to developing Greenville’s downtown district is utilizing areas along the Tar River.
“There are cities that would kill to have a river running through its downtown,†Douglas said. “You have to take advantage of the river. It’s your jewel. ... Polish it.â€

Douglas said that developing tourism opportunities will play a significant role in developing Greenville’s downtown.

“Music will always draw people,†he said. “Finding a venue for holding music events is important ... and you must take advantage of the river.â€

Douglas said he does not think Greenville has taken advantage of development opportunities along the Tar River.

“I was down at the Town Common today and was surprised that I didn’t see people kayaking or tubing on the river,†Douglas said. “I’ve been coming to Greenville for a couple of years, and other that the new playground, not much else has changed. ... You have to change that.â€

Old 02-08-2017, 01:12 PM

112 posts, read 136,271 times
That's exciting to hear that they expect us to see this much growth, but if that is going to happen, a lot of things need a major overhaul. Infrastructure, public safety etc... There are a lot of things in this city that are still operating as if we are a city of 70,000 people.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:53 PM

144 posts, read 189,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
My sincere apologies everyone. Google was not my friend yesterday i guess

I"m clearly wrong. Here's a short article from last year on what the city wants to do with a virtual building.

Greenville City Council consider “virtual building†to attract business | WNCT

I guess it's having the ability to "show" a building online to companies that may want to locate here, but also building some commercial buildings so that it's already ready for the company to move in without the company needing to worry about construction costs.

I mean i kind of get it. But isn't this what a lot of private developers do anyway? They build a shopping center or a set of office buildings and wait for/market towards companies to come and fill them?

Virtual Buildings explained:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgwF-pS_uDE

Old 02-08-2017, 11:45 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,819,674 times
City Council to consider support of road projects - Daily Reflector

Old 02-09-2017, 07:38 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,076 times
Support & opposition for bike lane & sidewalks along a portion of Evans Street in Greenville

Support & opposition for bike lane & sidewalks along a portion of Evans Street in Greenville

Love this quote:

Quote:
But residents who would be impacted by the expansion are not thrilled about what that means for their property.

Mary Snow Hill, President of the Shamrock HOA, says, "Why would you create all of this disruption, mayhem and destruction to a barrier -- to a neighborhood -- for those few people who might ride their bike from Winterville into Greenville. It doesn't make any sense. There are no bike lanes around here whatsoever, where are these bike lanes going to lead?"

Hill says she's not against enhancing pedestrian safety within the city, but says the proposed corridor expansion is a residential area and the current DOT plans will impede on their property and lifestyle. She says the homeowners association has spent nearly $10,000 on the berm along the Shamrock subdivision and she believes priorities on both sides can be accommodated without diminishing what stands.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:45 AM

893 posts, read 1,342,711 times
Felica's Fashions on Evans St. across from Coastal Fog has moved, opening up that prime corner spot for something new. I'm looking forward to seeing what becomes of that location.

I think it's only a matter of time before a lot of those type stores that have been uptown for a number of years, move to other locations throughout the city. I imagine the rent in uptown is going up when contracts renew now with all the changes in the area & property values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina