Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 04:50 PM

693 posts, read 1,606,663 times

Advertisements

OhNoWill...that's pretty much my neighborhood...I am as borderline as it gets. And it really isn't bad. The "projects" there are very mild...nothing like Craven Terrace. I have found pretty much everyone walking by to be friendly and respectful, and have gotten to know many of those folks by name. Maybe that helps?

LLN...you and your family seem to have terrible luck with what you witness! Gosh!

Yes, NB has crime, NC has crime, but pretty much everywhere does. I have found NB to be friendly, welcoming, and safe. Any of you who are moving down here and would like to see my "hood", seriously, PM me and I'd be happy to show you around. My awesome house will also be on the market next spring, 'cause I'm too scared to stay. Just kiddin', I have a job elsewhere.

One thing for sure, I think all of us have different standards of "acceptability". You just have to find the neighborhood and environment that is right for you and your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 6,922 times
Does anyone know what is going on in the PLANTERS RIDGE SUBDIVISION. My wife and I are looking at a home there and have noticed that alot of homes are up for sale in that subdivision. Is there something we dont know that maybe we should??? Please help

Old 09-20-2009, 08:08 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Where is it? I have not heard of that one. Doesn't mean anything other than I have not heard. I will check it out.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:38 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
i found a website showing it on 43 right after it splits from 55, but before the traffic light at spring garden. Honestly I've driven the route often and never noticed the subdivision or signs for it.

Get Directions | Planters Ridge, NC

Old 09-21-2009, 06:20 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,354 times
One listing agency for all available properties. (Not me! ) Their directions are as follows:
"Neuse Blvd to Washington Post Rd (Hwy 43). Subdivision is on the left just past Washington Fork"

Old 09-24-2009, 03:39 PM

8 posts, read 32,427 times
Planter's Ridge has been the victim of spill over crime from the surrounding trailor parks . No, I will not quote my source from the sherrif department. That said, he did say if you value your stuff, don't leave it out side.

Have you considered North Craven county? You will not have the large utility bills and you will be close to Greenville for shopping!

Old 09-25-2009, 08:18 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Oops. There are two Five Points Mini Marts in New Bern. Both are hotbeds of crime. This is a week after my wife witnessed a man robbed after leaving this store. Ugh!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

A New Bern man didn’t get far Thursday after robbing the Five Points Mini Mart on National Avenue.

Police arrested Duain Starks, 37, of 523 Miller St., after getting a call that he had walked into the store, gone to the counter with a gun and demanded money.

Police say store employees cooperated with Starks, who ran away with an undisclosed amount of cash just before noon.

Police saw a man that fit witnesses’ description near Fowlers Lane and F Street.

Starks was arrested and charged with robbery with a firearm. He is in jail with his bail set at $75,000.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:37 AM

10 posts, read 201,687 times
Welcome to New Bern. I think that you will find there are always going to be people whose opinions reflect their glass half empty/half full mentality. You can choose to join in and take the ups and downs that life gives you or constantly analyze every little detail and never find any inner peace.

I moved from an urban area and have children. New Bern is a wonderful place to slow down and spend some rewarding time with your kids. I could never have had the relationship with my kids that I have now if we still lived in a major metropolitan area.

As far as the crime goes - we don't see it. We live in an area where my kids walk and ride bikes everywhere (park, school, friends homes, church). If it helps at all, I worry about my kids much less here than I have elsewhere. When I think about my kids learning to drive, hanging out at the mall, hanging out at Starbucks, bookstore - believe me they are much safer here with those activities than they would be at the same places in a suburban area.

Another factor to consider - if you get out and socialize in the community (school, church, sports, neighborhood activities) there are always people around town (teachers, coaches, business owners, other parents, firemen, police, neighbors, camp councelors, congregation) who will recognize your kids and keep an eye on them. When your in an urban/suburban area and your teenagers leave the house they are on their own.

Remember to take one day at a time. I have moved 16 times in my life and only once with my kids. If you are looking for a place to live that is perfect in every way, it doesn't exist.

Hope you find New Bern as rewarding as I have and enjoy the area for what it helps you become.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:34 PM

9 posts, read 55,262 times

Couldn't agree with you more LUV2GOBoating. Since my wife and I moved here we've had a lot more time with the kids to really enjoy the community and everything it has to offer. It takes me 20 minutes on a Saturday morning to get the kids in the boat and head out on the Trent for some boogie boarding. I can drop them off in town to meet their friends at The Cow Cafe or to grab some lunch.

My commute to work is about 10 minutes and I go home for lunch everyday.

Life is much simpler here - traffic does not exist and I can spend more time around the water with some of the best beaches in the southeast.

I live in a decent neighborhood and leave my doors unlocked during the day. Never had a problem. People keep an eye on each other here. Would never leave anything unlocked in the burbs.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:29 AM

47 posts, read 152,704 times
Well,

In my few brief trips to New Bern house hunting..... y'all don't know what crime is!!

Yes, I am from the north, yes from a rather large North East city.

I find it almost comical in what you think crime is. Our motto here is, "if you want to find crime or criminals, you will."

One can spot the "hot beds of crime" in a flash if you open your eyes to it. Trailer parks, projects, otherwise run down neighborhoods, the hooker on the corner.... they can all lend themselves to a higher level of petty crime. Yes it sucks to be you, if you happen to stroll into a mini-mart late at night and get hit on the head for your wallet. I would suspect it could happen in any neighborhood.

I think the home security alarm companies have done a good job in New Bern selling the fear. Every home I look at either has an alarm system active, or, is wired for one.

Folks, I live less than 1000 yards from a project here in the north where I know it is a "hot bed of crime" (makes me giggle to say that). The deal is, and I am not sure why, but the streets seem to be boundrys that keep the "natives" from coming to the other side. New Bern appears no different than that to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina