Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 01:52 PM

36 posts, read 186,379 times

Advertisements

Marc515,
I believe we started looking at New Bern about the same time. While I'm still a weekend resident, we have spent many evenings walking around downtown and never had a negative experience. If you are worried, you can always come to Brices Creek where we bought. You would be ten minutes from downtown by boat or car but still enjoy large lots and friendly neighbors on the creek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 03:14 PM

21 posts, read 86,229 times
The thing to remember about downtown is that it turns from REALLY good to REALLY bad REALLY quick! I'm talking like 2 blocks quick.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:16 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnowill View Post
The thing to remember about downtown is that it turns from REALLY good to REALLY bad REALLY quick! I'm talking like 2 blocks quick.
I hve no idea for the reason for this, but I have never been to any siginificant city, with the exception of San Diego, where some the worst neighborhoods are adjacent to downtown. It's true for raleigh & charlotte, it's true for D.C. and Fredericksburg, VA, and true for many other cities beside.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:07 AM

228 posts, read 601,227 times
I recommend not moving to North Carolina, period. Sorry, friends. We are the number one state for burglaries and the 18th most dangerous state to live in.

I recommend the following: the top 10 safest states in order:
2009 Safest States

New Hampshire
Vermont
Maine
North Dakota
South Dakota
Montana
Wyoming
Iowa
Rhode Island
Connecticut

Old 09-13-2009, 06:23 PM

676 posts, read 3,076,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningNorm View Post
I recommend not moving to North Carolina, period. Sorry, friends. We are the number one state for burglaries and the 18th most dangerous state to live in.

I recommend the following: the top 10 safest states in order:
2009 Safest States

New Hampshire
Vermont
Maine
North Dakota
South Dakota
Montana
Wyoming
Iowa
Rhode Island
Connecticut
Are these the safest states because it is too cold to go out and rob someone??

Old 09-14-2009, 03:36 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,734 times
CT is in the top 10? I'm surprised, since our large cities are crime-ridden, our malls are "safe" due to a large police presence, there are frequent shootings and big drug problems. In our little town (pop 5,000) there have been attempted break-ins while the residents were home, and I keep my doors locked when I'm home alone. Not how it was "back in the day"

Old 09-15-2009, 09:10 AM

693 posts, read 1,606,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnowill View Post
There are only a couple of neighborhoods in NB that i would not be overly comfortable walking around in by myself (at night) - and adjacent to downtown is not one of those, unless you keep walking and walking and end up in Craven Terrace.

New Bern has the same social problems as other towns, but nothing like you would find in larger cities. Having lived in a borderline neighborhood in DC where there were 5 murders and numerous serious assaults in a 4 block radius in one month I can assure you that crime is not something you need to worry about.

I have left my house in New Bern vacant for months on end due to my work (but with all my stuff in it) and have never even had an attempted break in. And I get loads of foot traffic on my street and it is very obvious when I am there and not.

If people want to avoid crime completely then I suggest moving to the middle of farmland or woods with no neighbors for 20 miles, or perhaps live on a boat and keep it moored offshore. Landmines could also help deter all those dangerous criminals waiting to rob you of every possession and murder all your family members in their sleep.

In all seriousness feel free to PM me and I can give you a rather objective opinion regarding neighborhoods, etc.

Saying all this watch my house get burgled tonight. Better knock on wood.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:39 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,928 times

Please quote your source and provide a link to this info.

I found this from the FBI (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2008/data/table_05.html - broken link)

Old 09-15-2009, 03:25 PM

21 posts, read 86,229 times
If you walk out of Tryon Palace, turn left and walk about 2 to 3 blocks you're NOT going to be in a good place!

Ghent (another nice historic district) is right next to a fairly bad area.

Theres a couple more, but its hard to explain the area without writing a book.

When I moved there the first time, my next door neighbor was a sheriff's deputy. He took me on a ride throughout all of downtown in his patrol car to show me where to go, and where not to go.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE New Bern. If I could I'd move back there I would in a sec.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:02 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Well, I am sure, reinforcing the perception that all I posts are negative posting on New Bern...

This afternoon my wife and a friend, who were handing out invites to the community pig pickin', witnessed a robbery in broad daylight at about 1:30.

Robbery occurred on National Ave and the victim was an elderly man who had just left a convenience store. The robber was a young black man, who took the older man's wallet, and took off running.

Once again, occurred, in broad daylight, on a main New Bern Street. Not in a bad area, but near one.

PoPo responded withing 5 minutes, found empty wallet and are going to review security tapes.

This is really getting more ridiculous every day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina