Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2009, 10:45 AM

693 posts, read 1,609,414 times

Advertisements

Anyone going? Personally I think it's kind of boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 01:20 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,749,210 times
I will probably stroll through, but I am afraid that I don't "get it." It is mostly fair food and very few mums. The one area I have always jnjoyed was the boat building, which alas, is gone this year. I wonder if the politicos will have booths?

lln

Old 10-09-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I wonder if the politicos will have booths?

lln
I hope not.

Yeah, I don't really get it either. There isn't a great deal to do with mums, just carney rides, tacky booths and greasy food. I mean it's great if it generates revenue for downtown and all of that...but not really something notable in my mind. But maybe different if you have kids. And it seems every year the people who park in front of my house for the event manage to drive on my grass and tear up the sod. I have a plan in place for that this year, though.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:42 PM

9 posts, read 55,410 times
Default Appreciate your community events!

Could we look at this event as a way to reconnect with our community?

With the downturn in the economy I think the fact that the festival is still on gives us all a little hope that not every event has been cancelled due to lack of funding.

My kids have a lot of friends that are performing at MUM Fest over the weekend. Anyone that watches "So you think you can Dance", is already gearing up for one of the dancers to be there for autographs.

What about the aerobatic air show, the chevy nascar show, trampoline show, safari acrobats?

You also have to consider that not everyone goes every year. So for them there are a lot of new things to see and do. Sometimes its just fun to run into someone that you have not seen in a while.

Let's also consider with the downturn in the economy that our local shop owners are thrilled to have some people in town.

These events take a lot of work and planning from volunteers. Let's show our appreciation to our fellow friends and neighbors by not putting a negative spin on this.

Come on guys - get out there and live a little!!!

Old 10-09-2009, 02:14 PM

Sorry newbernian, but these festivals in general are not my thing. I mentioned that it is good for local businesses - and that's my positive spin. But just not something I enjoy doing. If they had an interesting gardening aspect (MUM FEST), I would really enjoy that.

I love New Bern as I have shown in many of my posts in here, and think it's a great place to live. But I don't enjoy Mum Fest - and it's not really "living" to me.

And I have a fantastic connection with my community, which exists year round. Sorry if you are lacking in that and need Mum Fest to have that sense of community. That's great if it does it for you.

So...I hope you would please enjoy a little diversity of opinion.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:15 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,603,090 times
I will avoid it like the plague. Went there a few years back and it was way too crowded for my taste and yes very boring too.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:58 PM

36 posts, read 186,576 times
I'm sorry I was out of town this year but looking at the story and pictures on the New Bern Sun Journal it looked like everybody that went had a good time and the event was an economic shot in the arm for New Bern. I plan on going next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina