Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 12:35 PM

19 posts, read 44,396 times

Advertisements

first some background:
im a single female 24, origionally from a fairly rough area in the UK (manchester city area)
i moved to the us where ive lived in CT for years, i currently live in a smaller quiet town but did live in Bridgeport (highly known for murders rapes, bulgaries, drugs, gangs and general crime)
im not too worried about general saftey, i lock my doors, lock my car and use common sence.

im looking to leave the nasty ct weather behind and get a new start on life...
and im looking for a place with a little land (i show/raise dogs and also have a trio of milk goats) within 30 minutes of a larger city NEER the water.
i might have found that property, a little fixer upper on a little over an acre on Dry Monia rd in New Bern, from the maps it looks like its out there but close enough to be within my "reasonable" traveling distance.

New bern seems to have what im looking for in a city, main stream stores like walmart, smaller one of a kind mom and pop type stores, acess to water, close to beaches, all cities and towns of course have some crime, compared to what im used to the crime rate seems relitivly low...and town regs seem to be fogiving outside of the main city limits in terms of me keeping my trio of goats as long as i have enough land.

development (even slow) is good, while id prefer some picturesque little town, seeing development means a place is growing and working to improve itself...

pictures look perdy, and i love the small town type festivals and such...

but of course taking a day trip to NC is not going to be all that easy for me to find out it would be ocmpletly unsuitable.

i have my own onlein store selling my goats milk products, and herbal soaps, lotions ect....
though picking up a little part time job to cover the luxuries would be great, im an animal behaviourist, working towards my grooming certificate, and have worked in zoos, vets and shelters....

any thoughts would be great, theres a number of places im looking, right now its mostly based on the availability of properties that woudl work for my use...outside of CT i havent seen much of the usa, my biggest thing right now is finding somehting with some land, within 1/2 hour to boat navicable waters for cheap, and avoiding the snow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 06:18 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,735,648 times
What kind of dogs?

Old 10-15-2009, 08:55 PM

713 posts, read 3,930,605 times
Smile There are properties that would probably work for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenseascresties View Post
first some background:
im a single female 24, origionally from a fairly rough area in the UK (manchester city area)
i moved to the us where ive lived in CT for years, i currently live in a smaller quiet town but did live in Bridgeport (highly known for murders rapes, bulgaries, drugs, gangs and general crime)
im not too worried about general saftey, i lock my doors, lock my car and use common sence.

im looking to leave the nasty ct weather behind and get a new start on life...
and im looking for a place with a little land (i show/raise dogs and also have a trio of milk goats) within 30 minutes of a larger city NEER the water.
i might have found that property, a little fixer upper on a little over an acre on Dry Monia rd in New Bern, from the maps it looks like its out there but close enough to be within my "reasonable" traveling distance.

New bern seems to have what im looking for in a city, main stream stores like walmart, smaller one of a kind mom and pop type stores, acess to water, close to beaches, all cities and towns of course have some crime, compared to what im used to the crime rate seems relitivly low...and town regs seem to be fogiving outside of the main city limits in terms of me keeping my trio of goats as long as i have enough land.

development (even slow) is good, while id prefer some picturesque little town, seeing development means a place is growing and working to improve itself...

pictures look perdy, and i love the small town type festivals and such...

but of course taking a day trip to NC is not going to be all that easy for me to find out it would be ocmpletly unsuitable.

i have my own onlein store selling my goats milk products, and herbal soaps, lotions ect....
though picking up a little part time job to cover the luxuries would be great, im an animal behaviourist, working towards my grooming certificate, and have worked in zoos, vets and shelters....

any thoughts would be great, theres a number of places im looking, right now its mostly based on the availability of properties that woudl work for my use...outside of CT i havent seen much of the usa, my biggest thing right now is finding somehting with some land, within 1/2 hour to boat navicable waters for cheap, and avoiding the snow!
Not sure what your budget is but there is a 2.65 acre farm on Highway 24 not far from Cape Carteret. It has an older farm house and a barn with three stalls. The house is in reasonable shape.

It is a very nice area. We have lots of festivals, there is nice natural foods market, Community Market, in Beaufort about 30 minutes away. It is an area of small towns and very close to the water. In fact there is water everywhere.

You can check my blog for more info about the area and this site for lots of information and picture links.

This map will orient you.

Snow is not a regular visitor, and I think you would like the waters down here. There are no towns dumping sewage in the river in our area.

I would be glad to answer area questions. Our area is about 45 minutes from New Bern, but we are under ten minutes to the beaches.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:36 AM

19 posts, read 44,396 times
LLN i have chinese cresteds and great danes.

dsbotta:
you wouldn thappen to have the realtor info for that property would you? it sounds like it could be perfect and i checked out your links, some absolutly gorgeous pictures though the area seems to be higher priced than im looking for, id still be interested in fiding out more.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:23 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,106,428 times
Although I wholeheartedly encourage everyone to check out this area when thinking about a move I don't want anyone to move here thinking the area is something it isn't. I live within a half hour drive of New Bern and we do occassionally get snow. This is a pic of my house from last winter. It also gets cold here. The coldest it got at my house last winter was 12° F. That's -11 C for those of you from across the Pond. It is not normally snowy or get that cold though. You may see snow like that every couple of years (the record snow here is around 16") and it doesn't stay cold when it gets cold. Up in CT it gets cold and stays cold.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:10 AM

713 posts, read 3,930,605 times
Smile Weather is very dependent on distance to the water here

One thing you will find is that just a mile or two will make a huge difference in temperatures once you are near the coast. We live right on the White Oak River. I still have tomato plants full of green tomatoes. A good friend who lives inland about two miles has already seen frost. Last year was an unusually cold winter for the area. Our area saw the first snow that it has seen in six years. It was about one half inch of snow on the top of the grass. It melted as soon as the sun hit it. We had no snow stick on the driveway or roads. Further inland there was snow, but it was just a dusting here on the coast. There has been snow here over the years, it just does not come regularly. Here is what our home looked like before the sun got to it last March.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:18 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,735,648 times
The key about snow in NC, especially NC, is that it is GONE FAST!

Lived in IA for 8 years. One year our yard was snow covered from before Halloween until after EASTER. That is NEVER gonna happen around here.

Cool house dso.

lln

Old 10-24-2009, 08:11 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,032,000 times
sevenseascresties,
Craven County, Pamlico County, Beaufort county-That general area will offer you the "biggest bang for the buck". I was just looking at 50 acres for just over $100K this morning (Land-No house)
The area above decribed is less inhabitted, lots of wildlife and nature, less (if any) restrictions but within 30 minutes to New Bern, Washington and the water.
And yes-It is more isolated than not-So don't anticipate all of the amenties of an in-town subdivision.
But you can't beat the price, the size and the beauty.
Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina