Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:25 AM

713 posts, read 3,936,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Wow, two great Mexican restaurants in Swansboro! I'm jealous..Beaufort needs one...there's a perfect place right next to the new library...used to be one there but it left and the community would welcome another one--or some other affordable dining spot there...such as a soda fountain type place with burgers, shakes, burritos, grilled cheese sandwiches and good meat loaf platters and hot turkey open face sandwiches-that would be nifty, too. Mash potatoes and gravy...yum.
Affordable dining is one thing we really miss when we drop by Beaufort. No Name Pizza is about the closest we have found, but it still isn't that inexpensive.

Over in our area, Cape Carteret, we often go to the Fairway Restaurant on Highway 58 for lunch. Much of the year they have an all you care to eat lunch buffet. It's $6.99, and they usually have their scratch made mashed potatoes, and other vegetables along with at least two meats or fish. Usually on Thursday they have Shelby's homemade Chicken Pastry. They also have great club sandwiches, they cook their own turkey and beef for their sandwiches.

Mike's on Emerald also has some reasonable lunch items. Most of the year they have soup for lunch. My favorite is their stuffed pepper. We have a friend who lives on Coast Guard road. Her standard order is a grilled cheese sandwich and a bowl of stuffed pepper soup.

The whole area could use some more affordable eateries. What we really need is a Pancake House restaurant like the one in Roanoke, Va.

They have exactly the kind of food you're talking about even down to the meatloaf specials and the counter where you can eat if all the booths are full.

Their pot roast special with potatoes, carrots and choice of another vegetable is a super supper, especially for just $4.95. I love it when macaroni and cheese counts as a vegetable. Inflation has caught up since 2005, there is no longer a choice of two vegetables in addition to the carrots and potatoes.

Last edited by dsobotta; 12-15-2009 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: corrected price
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 01:54 PM

7,161 posts, read 12,724,842 times
Thanks for the yummy survey of some-not-too-far-away menus. We're going to have to do a little day trip to the Fairway. I, for one, cannot resist scratch-made mashed potatoes. Just put a big scoop in a soup bowl for me, pour on some gravy and I'm good to go.

Just remembered, we've had some great meatloaf for lunch over at Floyds 1921 in Morehead City, 400 Bridges..$6.95 for one slice, $8.95 for two--and they were bit old slabs so one slice worked for me.

The meatloaf is served with Southern Gravy and grilled onions and your choice of two side, including whipped potatoes, buttered rum sweet potatoes, fried okra, red beans and rice, Southern Green Pea Salad, and some other choices. http://www.floyds1921.com/menus/lunch_menu.pdf

Another hard to find lunch offering is fried calves liver & onions covered with Applewood Bacon. Probably would kill me but I'd die with a smile on my face.

They serve the meatloaf for dinner, too, but the prices are higher. Just wish Floyds were in Beaufort. Get lazy sometimes and don't want to cross those bridges. But I think we're due for some meatloaf any day now...maybe tomorrow? Now that I'm salivating...

Old 12-15-2009, 02:59 PM

Smile Liver & Onions wii require a trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Thanks for the yummy survey of some-not-too-far-away menus. We're going to have to do a little day trip to the Fairway. I, for one, cannot resist scratch-made mashed potatoes. Just put a big scoop in a soup bowl for me, pour on some gravy and I'm good to go.

Just remembered, we've had some great meatloaf for lunch over at Floyds 1921 in Morehead City, 400 Bridges..$6.95 for one slice, $8.95 for two--and they were bit old slabs so one slice worked for me.

The meatloaf is served with Southern Gravy and grilled onions and your choice of two side, including whipped potatoes, buttered rum sweet potatoes, fried okra, red beans and rice, Southern Green Pea Salad, and some other choices. http://www.floyds1921.com/menus/lunch_menu.pdf

Another hard to find lunch offering is fried calves liver & onions covered with Applewood Bacon. Probably would kill me but I'd die with a smile on my face.

They serve the meatloaf for dinner, too, but the prices are higher. Just wish Floyds were in Beaufort. Get lazy sometimes and don't want to cross those bridges. But I think we're due for some meatloaf any day now...maybe tomorrow? Now that I'm salivating...
The Fairway Restaurant has Liver & Onions as one of their specials. Another special is an open faced sandwich with hand mashed potatoes and gravy. I know both were on their menu in late summer when I put together this website for them. It had the then current specials listed. The owner did just tell me the menu was changing in January. I would call before driving all the way from Beaufort, and I would arrive as close to noon as possible since some of the specials disappear by 1 PM.

Last edited by dsobotta; 12-15-2009 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: wrong link

Old 12-15-2009, 06:15 PM

431 posts, read 1,144,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobotta View Post
The Fairway Restaurant has Liver & Onions as one of their specials. Another special is an open faced sandwich with hand mashed potatoes and gravy. I know both were on their menu in late summer when I put together this website for them. It had the then current specials listed. The owner did just tell me the menu was changing in January. I would call before driving all the way from Beaufort, and I would arrive as close to noon as possible since some of the specials disappear by 1 PM.
I love hot roast beef sandwiches with mashed potatoes and gravy. Now I'm hungry.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:48 PM

Tonight I'm a happy camper. Crossed the two bridges and went and had the meatloaf, mashed potatoes with gravy and garlic green beans...and was it as good as my brain and mouth thought it would be? Oh my yes...

Resisted dessert, though, aren't I the good one?

Here's to food desires happily fulfilled...

Old 12-16-2009, 04:55 PM

Smile Congratulations on the meat loaf

We had a company pot luck brunch this morning in Pine Knoll Shores so there were plenty sausage-egg casseroles, ham biscuits, shrimp etc to fill in the empty spots.

Meal loaf is definitely a great comfort food. I used to visit a restaurant in Northern Virginia when I worked up there. You could go with eight people in the winter time, and probably six would have the meatloaf, and this was in trendy Northern Virginia where every California food item takes root in days.

There was a restaurant in Salem, Va which used to feature fried meatloaf sandwiches.

Another quick meal that my mother used to make on cold winter days was fried salmon cakes from canned salmon. If she had any left over mashed potatoes, she would make potato cakes and fry them.

I am looking forward to the holidays, I am always in charge of the mashed potatoes. I love getting them nice and fluffy. And since my wife is the queen of gravy makers, I know they will be good even if there are some lumps that I miss. Gravy is a rare item these days.

I don't even mind peeling potatoes. It takes me back to my Boy Scout days.

My only other jobs at the holiday meals are to carve the meat and wash all the pots and pans as the ladies are cooking. I figure a day at the sink is a small price to pay for a great holiday meal and the days of leftovers that come with it.

Last edited by dsobotta; 12-16-2009 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: left out word

Old 12-16-2009, 08:07 PM

Good on you for the pot and pan clean-up--and for whipping those taters into shape...yes, indeed, gravy is a too rare item on menus these days, and I only have it a couple of times a year myself...watching those LDL's and HDL's don't you know, but I sure do 'preciate it when it's there..with not a smidegon of guilt whatsoever.

Used to love chicken-fried steak when we lived out West--smothered in sausage gravy, of course...ah, the good old days before they invented cholesterol.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:40 PM

Smile You might have to wait to visit Fairway in Cape Carteret

We had lunch there on Thursday, and they told us they would be open Saturday night, Dec. 19, and after that they would be closed for winter vacation until January 23.

Last edited by dsobotta; 12-18-2009 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: Left out date

Old 12-19-2009, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the heads up..we can wait until January to give them a try..we'll be finishing up our holiday leftovers just about then...and packing the holiday weight gain, too. A few weeks of gruel and greens will do us good.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:17 PM

169 posts, read 583,968 times
BTW my wife and I were Married in Beaufort 21 years ago come May. We were supposed to get married in the historic Anne Street Methodist Church but the pastor forgot about the wedding and didn't show up. So, we were married by the Justice of the Peace in the courtyard square behind the jail. Our wedding album is hilarious. Good thing we have a sense of humor. We still love Beaufort though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina