Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 04:51 PM

13 posts, read 31,242 times

Advertisements

I scanned thru a lot of these posts. I do have to say that I really like Wilmington. Everytime I visit I try to see something new, or just a road I hadnt taken before. Wilmington is what I would call an actual city, and not just a coastal tourist town. They have a lot to offer...shopping, nice established downtown, uncw, the festivals, wrightsville and carolina beach. Now as far as the first post I read about jobs and 10.00 an hr, well I would kinda agree with that. Not about salaries but it's obvious Wilmington needs more companies to come in. I wouldnt say its because of Wilmington itself because I believe GE had relocated there from out west. No, I think its simply the need for more infrastructure. I-40 and 74 kind of deadend. You have the bypass by ILM but there is noway to get THRU the city without hitting a jam. So things will get better when they build more infrastructure, including that SkyWay Bridge. Now the most obvious point to make about Wilmington is the money$$$ and homes, and I think we can agree it aint comin from the jobs. Its comin from retirees...old money. babyboomers. If it wasnt for uncw there probably wouldnt be much of a young crowd. But again, no real complaints from me. I love Wilmington. Much better than our Myrtle Beach down here in SC. So just help your nice council members like Laura Padgett get some infrastructure goin! lol. Like an overpass at College and Oleander. Hell, put one at the college itself at that intersection near the big First Citizens Bank. Lets get things a'rollin....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 05:07 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson27 View Post
So things will get better when they build more infrastructure, including that SkyWay Bridge.

So just help your nice council members like Laura Padgett get some infrastructure goin! lol. Like an overpass at College and Oleander. Hell, put one at the college itself at that intersection near the big First Citizens Bank. Lets get things a'rollin....

We can dream, right?

I'm personally waiting for the Wilmington subway system. Preliminary estimates put the cost at $225 billion.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:09 AM

698 posts, read 3,266,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
We can dream, right?

I'm personally waiting for the Wilmington subway system. Preliminary estimates put the cost at $225 billion.
When you dream,you really dream BIG! LOL! They have to keep adding taxes and raising property taxes just to try and get out of the red they're in now. No way will you ever see any good transit here!

Old 05-12-2010, 10:45 AM

28 posts, read 80,288 times
all i have to say is where did u live before lol like what are u comparing the crime rate to? im from corpus christi texas and also lived in houston as well and i would say that both of those places have a higher crime rate then wilmington and ive always felt safe! and dude go to a tech school or somthing and get a cert as a plumber or a electrician im sure in wilmington they pay more than 10 bucks an hour for those where are you looking for a job? And im sorry to tell you in this economy now even people with the higher degree are getting paid crap the people that are making money are like doctors and right now tech schools for like plumbimg and such are really booming and just a regular job with a highschool degree of course its only around 10 bucks an hour lol man when i just got out of highschool in texas the low wage was $5.15 an hour.......

and if you are feeling unsafe and you arent from the south let me give you some advice

1. go get your licence to carry a gun

2. if you dont like the gun idea then get a tazer if i remember right you can carry a tazer in the state of north carolina without a cert

3. get a dog for your house as my nerd friend said alarm systems can be bypasses but a dog cant and trust me if you have a german shepard and a doberman in your house no one will rob you lol and be like me take your dog everywhere with you if you can and u will be safe most of the time

but idk man you must of lived in the upper east side manhattan where everything is peachy and clost to no crime rate

or as my pa pa use to say dont be the prey otherwise predators will find you

Old 05-12-2010, 05:54 PM

13 posts, read 31,242 times
Speaking of a transit system...

Why doesn't Wilmington get some trolleys???? I would compare Wilmington to Charleston, SC....New Orleans....San Fran.....of course not as major, but I think trolleys would be great for the city and for the college students as well. Nice transit. I think Wilmington has the swagga to pull it off! And is it just me or should they build some kind of alternate route to Wrightsville Beach from Monkey Junction? What is that road there? I know that coast is probably marsh but they need to figure something out. Just some two-lane bridgework or something.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson27 View Post
speaking of a transit system...

Why doesn't wilmington get some trolleys???? I would compare wilmington to charleston, sc....new orleans....san fran.....of course not as major, but i think trolleys would be great for the city and for the college students as well. Nice transit. I think wilmington has the swagga to pull it off! And is it just me or should they build some kind of alternate route to wrightsville beach from monkey junction? What is that road there? I know that coast is probably marsh but they need to figure something out. Just some two-lane bridgework or something.
The same reason they don't do a lot of other things......they don't want to spend the money. Actually,they don't have the money to spend because they stay in the red all the time.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,877 times
Many thanks to Readingabit--I've been reading voraciously for most of the past 24 hours trying to get a handle on how to determine the "where" of our next move after deciding to trade in the eclectic mountain air of Asheville for some hopefully equally eclectic sand and waterfront experiences, but you're tips and link on comparing zips, as well as the hipcodes.com link was most illuminating. From what I've gathered so far, you're going to pay a little more to live in a place of interest, period. So you need to prepare accordingly if it's worth it to you to take the plunge. Thanks again! :-)

Old 05-23-2010, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,800 times
Help.... We would like to move to NC, we live in Eastern LI and need to leave, unable to afford. Our area (Shirley) is the last affordable area on LI is full of welfare , sex offenders and is not the place for small children. I heard Wilmington is a great place, but not by the posts I'm reading?? We can't make another mistake .. Looking for a new home only 250-300k.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:22 PM

610 posts, read 3,015,063 times
You mentioned you are looking to get away from welfare and sex offenders. I hate to bust your bubble, but Wilmington is full of welfare recipients and sex offenders.

I believe Wilmington is the top city in NC with the number of people living in section eight housing.

Unless you plan on living in a place like Landfall or Figure Eight, I would look into some other city to relocate to.

Also, the job market in Wilmington stinks (at all times).

Old 05-25-2010, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
You mentioned you are looking to get away from welfare and sex offenders. I hate to bust your bubble, but Wilmington is full of welfare recipients and sex offenders.

I believe Wilmington is the top city in NC with the number of people living in section eight housing.

Unless you plan on living in a place like Landfall or Figure Eight, I would look into some other city to relocate to.

Also, the job market in Wilmington stinks (at all times).
Amen!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina