Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 06:11 AM

698 posts, read 3,266,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
thebright1:

It seems like you just stopped in Wilmington for a few days and said to yourself, "Gee, this seems like a wonderful place, I better pack my bags and move here." I don't think you looked at the "whole picture."

Yes, Wilmington has some nice areas and the beach is nearby, but so what? Wilmington definitely has homeless people, graffiti, and broken down cars. Just drive down Carolina Beach road and look around. Also, if you drive around the downtown part of Wilmington around 31st St, you will find plenty of "trash."

Wilmington is inundated with all of these Pot of Gold Internet sweepstakes cafes. Almost every corner of the city is covered with those stupid internet sweepstakes cafes. I believe these "cafes" were being built so fast,the city council had to enact some type of ordance to stop any more from being built. Unfortunately, the city didn't act fast enough and they are pretty much all over the city. I guarantee you can't drive for more than five minutes without seeing one.

Oh by the way, you think you are going to live a wonderful life in Wilmington on $10 an hour?...hahaha Good luck man. You're going to need it.

$10 an hour is considered a "high" salary in ILM if you are not a doctor, lawyer, pharmacist, CPA, etc. You will probably be lucky if you can make $8 an hour.

A lot of the jobs in Wilmington and NC in general also require or prefer employees to be bilingual so don't think you are getting away from that. NC has a large hispanic population too.

I can predict your future thebright1:

You will end coming here and you will soon find out Wilmington is not as "appealing" as it was when you first visited the place. You will find out that the majority of jobs in the area are either fast food, retail, or commissioned based sales, but I guess that doesn't matter since Wilmington such a great place to you.

I leave you with this piece of advice:

Wilmington is nothing more than a retirement town for all of the rich Northerners. The majority of the businesses in the area cater to the retiree community.

Unless you are a retiree or you have a huge "pot" of money just sitting around and I'm not talking about a few thousand dollars. I'm talking like 200K or more, then don't waste your time coming here.

How do you think you are going to make a decent living here? I would love to know.

BTW, I left Wilmington several months ago and I'll never go back, even if I had a billion dollars...
Right On! I couldn't have said it better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 05:39 AM

698 posts, read 3,266,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
thebright1:

It seems like you just stopped in Wilmington for a few days and said to yourself, "Gee, this seems like a wonderful place, I better pack my bags and move here." I don't think you looked at the "whole picture."

Yes, Wilmington has some nice areas and the beach is nearby, but so what? Wilmington definitely has homeless people, graffiti, and broken down cars. Just drive down Carolina Beach road and look around. Also, if you drive around the downtown part of Wilmington around 31st St, you will find plenty of "trash."

Wilmington is inundated with all of these Pot of Gold Internet sweepstakes cafes. Almost every corner of the city is covered with those stupid internet sweepstakes cafes. I believe these "cafes" were being built so fast,the city council had to enact some type of ordance to stop any more from being built. Unfortunately, the city didn't act fast enough and they are pretty much all over the city. I guarantee you can't drive for more than five minutes without seeing one.

Oh by the way, you think you are going to live a wonderful life in Wilmington on $10 an hour?...hahaha Good luck man. You're going to need it.

$10 an hour is considered a "high" salary in ILM if you are not a doctor, lawyer, pharmacist, CPA, etc. You will probably be lucky if you can make $8 an hour.

A lot of the jobs in Wilmington and NC in general also require or prefer employees to be bilingual so don't think you are getting away from that. NC has a large hispanic population too.

I can predict your future thebright1:

You will end coming here and you will soon find out Wilmington is not as "appealing" as it was when you first visited the place. You will find out that the majority of jobs in the area are either fast food, retail, or commissioned based sales, but I guess that doesn't matter since Wilmington such a great place to you.

I leave you with this piece of advice:

Wilmington is nothing more than a retirement town for all of the rich Northerners. The majority of the businesses in the area cater to the retiree community.

Unless you are a retiree or you have a huge "pot" of money just sitting around and I'm not talking about a few thousand dollars. I'm talking like 200K or more, then don't waste your time coming here.

How do you think you are going to make a decent living here? I would love to know.

BTW, I left Wilmington several months ago and I'll never go back, even if I had a billion dollars...
If you don't mind me asking.....where did you move to when you left Wilmington several months ago?

Old 09-09-2010, 09:44 AM

610 posts, read 3,015,063 times
I moved to China, literally. I have been here in China studying Chinese for the past few months.

If I go back to the US, I'll probably go to a place that has a better employment outlook like the Dallas/Fort Worth area or maybe somewhere in South Dakota...haha

Old 09-09-2010, 10:08 AM

I don't know why everyone has some type of infatuation with Wilmington. Wilmington is not the greatest place to live. The crime rate is rather high, the job market is horrible and the cost of living is high. I keep mentioning the job market because like I said a million times, it's horrible. Even before the recession, the job market was horrible.

You can't make it in Wilmington working 35hrs a week making $8 or $9 an hour. You just can't. Unless you want to stay in a apartment with four other roommates and ride a beat up bike around Wilmington, you just aren't going to live a decent life there.

I guess everyone gets caught up in the whole, I want to live by the beach and Wilmington fits that criteria, mentality.

In my opinion, Wilmington is a tough place to "make it" in life. Most people don't realize that or understand the whole idea that the city council doesn't really care about adding jobs or attracting companies to the area.

Wilmington really doesn't have that many companies or industry, with the exception of a few. The whole economy is based off tourism and catering to the rich retirees from the North.

While I am on my rant about Wilmington, I will point out two other cities in America that are similar in my aspects to Wilmington. Spokane, Washington, although it's not near a beach, is also an area many people want to live in, because of its beautiful scenery and its nice atmosphere, but unfortunately, the job market is horrible.

Fort Collins, Colorado is also another area that has a horrible job market although the scenery is breathtaking and the town has a good feel to it.

BTW, if you want to read with other people have to say about Wilmington, check out Wilmington, NC into the search engine. You will get a good perspective of other people's opinion and you will find out the one thing that everyone agrees on: Wilmington's job market sucks.

Last edited by Yac; 11-17-2020 at 12:45 AM..

Old 09-11-2010, 03:17 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
The 10 rainiest cities in the U.S. by amount of annual rainfall is:

•Mobile, Alabama--67 inches average annual rainfall; 59 average annual rainy days
•Pensacola, Florida--65 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days
•New Orleans, Louisiana--64 inches average annual rainfall; 59 average annual rainy days
•West Palm Beach, Florida--63 inches average annual rainfall; 58 average annual rainy days
•Lafayette, Louisiana--62 inches average annual rainfall; 55 average annual rainy days
•Baton Rouge, Louisiana--62 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days
•Miami, Florida--62 inches average annual rainfall; 57 average annual rainy days
•Port Arthur, Texas--61 inches average annual rainfall; 51 average annual rainy days
•Tallahassee, Florida--61 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days
•Lake Charles, Louisiana--58 inches average annual rainfall; 50 average annual rainy days
I take it that you left Alaska out of the mix. Alaska is, by definition, a sub-arctic rain forest. I lived, at one time in my childhood, outside of Port Arthur, Texas, in the small town of Bridge City, Alaska gets a whole lot more rain, sleet, it gets more moisture from Snow alone in Fairbanks than Port Arthur does in a year.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:45 PM

413 posts, read 701,235 times
Employment outlook is not the be-all and end-all of the ideal location. I lived 2 years in Houston when it was booming in the 70's and couldn't wait to leave. Having left Wilmington, perhaps Heeha can focus on his new location.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:02 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I take it that you left Alaska out of the mix. Alaska is, by definition, a sub-arctic rain forest. I lived, at one time in my childhood, outside of Port Arthur, Texas, in the small town of Bridge City, Alaska gets a whole lot more rain, sleet, it gets more moisture from Snow alone in Fairbanks than Port Arthur does in a year.
Not my list.... But apparently nowhere in Alaska gets enough rain to make the list.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:41 AM

9 posts, read 32,158 times
Dear Heeha, trashing Wilminton NC or any place is such a waste of precious enery. It spoils the soul. Giving a fair, balanced assessment of any place is much more helpful. It helps others to make their own decisions based upon their own needs.

Consider yourself blessed to have the mental and physical health to travel, live in another country . . . to learn another language. China is a country with a long, rich culture and history. The land is mesmerizingly beautiful, the people are hardworking, focused. Still, like any place one lives, China too will offer both beauty and ugliness, success and failures, but such experiences are what enriches our lives.

Please don't think I am trying to put you down for your comments on Wilmington. I am sorry it did not work out for you. It's just that Wilmington bashing is a bit like reading negative movie reviews and deciding not to see the movie; only to discover later, the movie wasn't that bad!

I do Wish you the very best in China. Perhaps you will share some of your good and bad experiences in China--perhaps a thread on China?

Old 09-12-2010, 09:43 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
If I'm not mistaken, I think Heeha is from Wilmington. Like alot of people, you don't appreciate where you're from if that's all you know or if that's what you're used to. So Wilmington doesn't seem like much to him (I'm not a fan myself, I grew up about 1.5-2hrs from Wilmington further up the coast), but alot of people that move there seem to like it.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:11 PM

To answer your question, no, I am not from Wilmington. I grew up in Fayetteville (Don't get me started on that city, I mean craphole).

It just seems like a lot of cities in NC suck. I'm not really a fan of any city or town in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina