Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 11:14 PM

264 posts, read 907,240 times

Advertisements

Elizabeth City would be a tough place to live. I am there often because it is part of my sales territory. I would look at Camden County which is close but much better schools. Currituck County is very nice as well. I live on the Outer Banks and enjoy beach living but Currituck and Camden Counties have a lot going for them where as EC....not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 11:23 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
There is a poster on here that lives at Oriental, North Carolina. You might want to check out that area. It sounds really interesting to me, although I would never want to live anywhere past I-95 toward the ocean. That's just me though. Every area has its problems, but being educated helps to know what to look for in safety for every situation.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Orient...-Carolina.html
https://www.city-data.com/city/New-Be...-Carolina.html
https://www.city-data.com/city/Elizab...-Carolina.html

I have missed the elevation of Elizabeth City if it is in the city information for that town.
Oriental is 10 feet above sea level and New Bern is 15, but you might want to notice there is a river that could flood in New Bern. We go to a timeshare that is in that area and it had damage from flooding once. There are a lot of things that needs to be checked on.

New Bern was the first capital city of North Carolina. Bath was the oldest town. You might want to check out that little town too.

Last edited by NCN; 12-19-2009 at 11:43 PM..

Old 12-20-2009, 12:04 AM

375 posts, read 912,397 times
Runnerguy,

what do you think of OBX v. Cape Carteret/Emerald Isle area? Looking for that small beach town feel, I telecommute so job isn't an issue. Safety is, OBX appeals to me except for the summer, but I guess you learn to deal with that. What is your opinion? drawbacks other than the obvious?

Old 12-20-2009, 03:41 PM

The Outer Banks is very safe crime wise. Storm wise we do ok, I have only been here 2 plus year and no bad storms come to mind except erosion on the ocean. The summer traffic isn't really that bad to me, coming from the DC area its a piece a cake. I can't comment on the other towns because I don't know them that well. If you are looking for small beach towns we fit the bill. As long as you have a job you should be in good shape. Just spent a few hours at the beach and it was unreal, I love the ocean during winter, huge waves, lots of wind. Glorious day at the beach !

Old 12-20-2009, 05:37 PM

16 posts, read 79,306 times
Thanks again everyone! We are coming down in February for 8 days and staying in MHC I think. Can anyone tell me more about Beaufort? How much time does it take to get to NB from Beaufort? How close is fishing in Beaufort? Thanks for any info guys!

Old 12-20-2009, 06:03 PM

LOL, I am from the DC area so I know what you're talking about! I grew up in Annandale, and Braddock Rd went from being one lane each side to 4 lanes each side in some areas!

I was living in Mel Beach in Fl before I moved out here, and am looking for a similar 'feel' with the small town atmosphere, and a quiet beach. I know it's crazy during the summer, but I figured I could deal b/c the rest of the year would be great! I am so jealous to hear about you being at the beach -- I love winter and storms at the beach the best!!

What about raising kids? Is it a more wholesome area -- I have read some mixed stuff on the forum, but wasn't sure if that's just negativity.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:39 PM

The Outer Banks is a great place to raise kids. Beach towns have certain issues that go with living in a beach town. Are there drugs here ? yes , like any other town. The OBX is a laid back beach town. Great sports programs and unbelievable facilities paid for by tourist tax. The High school baseball field is better then many college fields. It's not perfect but its a really nice place to live.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:51 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marthamanson View Post
Thanks again everyone! We are coming down in February for 8 days and staying in MHC I think. Can anyone tell me more about Beaufort? How much time does it take to get to NB from Beaufort? How close is fishing in Beaufort? Thanks for any info guys!
Beaufort Proper, what I call the historic areas, is about 45 minutes from NB (go to Havelock, and turn left on 101) come in back way. Via 70 and MHC a bit longer.

Fishing is right at Beaufort. Great inshore, and once past the no wake zones, a very short sprint to Beaufort Inlet.

You can live near Beaufort fairly cheaply, but don't let the romance and wonder of Beaufort waterfront disappoint you. Those folks are very proud of that property.

lln

Old 12-20-2009, 11:13 PM

Thanks for that validation, RunnerGuy, that's kinda what I was thinking -- I'm in a super wholesome place here (low crime, nice ppl) but I know the drug scene is everywhere esp in beach towns. It was the same way in FL, I left for personal reasons there, which is why I can't go back. Long story.

Would you recommend one of the obx towns over the others for year round living? OH -- and when looking for a yearly rental, does it really matter what time of the year you move there (except of course prob not during the summer)? I have heard that the prices are higher even for yrly rentals during the peak season.

Thanks for your insights --

Old 12-21-2009, 05:07 AM

16 posts, read 79,306 times
thank you, LLN, we are feeling a little less overwhelmed. This forum is great for gaining information. Coming from New Hampshire, where we have 18 miles of coastline, it's such a struggle to get close to the beach, nevermind living there unless your last name is Hilton! MHC is close to Beaufort, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina