Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 01:33 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
The general population other than senior citizens whom live there described it as being boooooring!
How can you tell who was a senior citizen, and who wasn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 01:44 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, I thought I was normal and after a full day of being at the beach I would like to have the option of having a fine dining meal. Also, I thought that if I took my children to the beach it would also be nice to have other options of going on ride go-carts, movies, etc.
A lot of us want the opposite - give me miles of unspoiled, undeveloped beaches and I'm happy. Different strokes for different folks. Though go carts ARE fun

Old 05-09-2011, 01:44 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
How can you tell who was a senior citizen, and who wasn't?
By clicking on their profile and looking at their pics.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:25 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobotta View Post
To anyone who has seen real traffic, what we have here does not even register.
Amen to that. I am a hardened veteran of having to drive Central Ave. into Southeast and nothing that I've seen here in Greenville even compares. Also, there's nothing quite like sitting in a 10 mile backup waiting to go across the Chesapeake Bay bridge either.

But... The biggest difference here isn't the lack of traffic. The biggest difference is the drivers here tend to do the unpredictable. At least up there you KNOW when someone is going to do something stupid because of the situation they may be in. Here they do stupid stuff for no reason at all.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,314 times
I came to this thread to see if I could get more information about anything to do with NC. I live in Chicago, Illinois, and am looking to move somewhere near the coast in NC.

It really shocked me that people complain about not having attractions on the beach... In Chicago, we have beaches, granted they are off of Lake Michigan, not the ocean, but in theory, the same thing. The best thing that come close to 'attractions' on the beach is a running track that really only covers like 2 beaches, and Navy Pier. Navy Pier will have over 2,000 people visiting at any given time, not to mention the price of parking or anything.

I would think that if someone is looking for a beach, they would be happy that they have a beach with or without the not so wonderful problem of it having attractions.

I am sorry, but come to a place that has a beach, but is polluted to the point that you see the 55 gallon barrels laying on the bed of the water, where it will take to 10 times longer to get to any destination you want to, then a GPS or any mapping system will tell just because of traffic at any given time of day. Have you ever been in a traffic jam at 2 in the morning on a Tuesday? Where you have people killing others via "snipers" sitting on roof top just because someone stepped on 'their' sidewalk. Then say that having a peaceful, quiet and attraction free beach is a bad thing.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:14 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyusha02 View Post
I would think that if someone is looking for a beach, they would be happy that they have a beach with or without the not so wonderful problem of it having attractions.
It's a bit of a grass is greener on the other side thing, but having grown up here I can tell ya there really is absolutely nothing to do half the year except drugs or go to church. Sometimes both depending on how messed up your family is. The powers that be have made some effort at resisting the type of overdevelopment you see all over the rest of the East Coast with mixed results, but the downside is the year round population suffers for having very little to retire to themselves when the crowds go away for the season.

The lack of pollution (and snipers) is great though, I'll give you that.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:33 AM

805 posts, read 2,003,583 times
Drugs or go to church.... hmmmmm, this is a very good attitude, I must say. However, it is pretty much a ridiculously stereotypical description of a "coastal" community ANYWHERE.

I would like to take this opportunity to point out to the more myopic members that you have just described EVERY "coastal" area from NC to Maine. When summer ends, of course, the multitudes of people go home to their lives..... and it gets "quiet". It's the same at the shore in NJ, to insinuate that this "phenomenon" is peculiar to the coastal area of NC is simply to ignore reality.

Life ANYWHERE is what one makes of it, if one chooses to take drugs.... I suppose that is their decision.... but, if in one's mind, those are the ONLY two choices..... drugs or church, then they cannot be helped.

As one who is moving from NJ to the Wilmington area in just a few short months and very much looking forward to it..... I would wonder why anyone would stay there so long if, in their mind, it is as terrible as they profess..... it's a big country and there are plenty of places to move to and avoid having to make that terrible decision..... either drugs or church.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:14 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, I thought I was normal and after a full day of being at the beach I would like to have the option of having a fine dining meal. Also, I thought that if I took my children to the beach it would also be nice to have other options of going on ride go-carts, movies, etc.
Then you want Myrtle Beach SC ... it's all there and more. Glitzy, beach ball shops, etc., entertainment, fast food, fast life. OK for vacation, but not for permanent year round lifestyle. Then again, some people love that atmosphere. Like I always say: some like chocolate, some like vanilla.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:03 AM

720 posts, read 1,708,726 times
To box_of_zip_disks-----wow what a world view. Having vacationed in the OI are since 1989, and reading the paper regularly, my view (as an older, married,mother of 4, no bar scene person) is that there are more things to do there than I would have time for. With the addition of great weather, an uncrowded beach and plenty of parking, just perfect. If you are younger, there is school, a job, and the associated activities. I think a person inclined to drugs will find a reason to do them no matter where they live.
What would you do to improve the area? Just curious about what you're looking for.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:50 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
To box_of_zip_disks-----wow what a world view. Having vacationed in the OI are since 1989, and reading the paper regularly, my view (as an older, married,mother of 4, no bar scene person) is that there are more things to do there than I would have time for. With the addition of great weather, an uncrowded beach and plenty of parking, just perfect. If you are younger, there is school, a job, and the associated activities. I think a person inclined to drugs will find a reason to do them no matter where they live.
What would you do to improve the area? Just curious about what you're looking for.
Well.....I will tell you what I would improve. First of all, tear down ALL of the ugly old houses and run down trailers throughtout the eastern NC. Also, tear down the UGLY buildboards, they are eyesores. Then, add at least a few decent FINE dining options please. Also, open up some type of Frankie's Fun Park (child activities attraction) for children to have arcade/gocarts/putt putt/batting cage/bumper boats,etc. Also, build a NEW MOVIE theater with stadium seating instead of old run down dumpy movie theaters currently located throughout coastal NC. Last, but not least, invest in a decent highway bypass that will allow traveling to the coast more convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina