Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 03:28 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,032,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Last, but not least, invest in a decent highway bypass that will allow traveling to the coast more convenient.
How about I-40, HWY 70 and HWY64-All of which are 4 lanes. These major east/west highways all intersect the north/south running I-95.
HWY 64 takes you to OBX. HWY 70 takes you to the Crsytal Coast. I-40 to Wilmington. I can't think of an easier access than that.

I'm beginning to believe there is more than one eastern North Carolina. Some of the descriptions I've read are not of the eastern North Carolina I live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 06:38 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,241,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
How about I-40, HWY 70 and HWY64-All of which are 4 lanes. These major east/west highways all intersect the north/south running I-95.
HWY 64 takes you to OBX. HWY 70 takes you to the Crsytal Coast. I-40 to Wilmington. I can't think of an easier access than that.

I'm beginning to believe there is more than one eastern North Carolina. Some of the descriptions I've read are not of the eastern North Carolina I live in.
I'm trying to explain that there should be a "real" 4 lane highway without stoplights, etc. similar to I-40. 70 has multiple stoplights in Goldsboro, Kinston, New Bern, Havelock, Morehead, etc. I suggested a "70 bypass" beginning in Clayton which would not have ANY stoplights with 65-70 mph the entire length thus making the drive from the triangle region more convenient, safer, and faster.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:36 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Agree with the second poster. Eastern NC is boring. I grew up there. Most boring region I've ever lived in.
I love eastern NC to visit. To live there would probably be an entirely different story. I can definitely see myself retiring there.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:35 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,195,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post

Yeah, no kidding. Until they invent teleportation technology it's always going to take a while to get to the beach from points west or north.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:26 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,106,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
Well.....I will tell you what I would improve. First of all, tear down ALL of the ugly old houses and run down trailers throughtout the eastern NC.
And where would you have those people that occupy those homes live? In the projects? One of the great things about Eastern Carolina is that it is home to people of all levels of income. I moved here from a place where new starter homes start at $300,000. You end up with a place where a working class family can't afford to live.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:59 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,901,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I'm trying to explain that there should be a "real" 4 lane highway without stoplights, etc. similar to I-40. 70 has multiple stoplights in Goldsboro, Kinston, New Bern, Havelock, Morehead, etc. I suggested a "70 bypass" beginning in Clayton which would not have ANY stoplights with 65-70 mph the entire length thus making the drive from the triangle region more convenient, safer, and faster.
They actually are building a bypass like that. The western most portion by clayton has been built. when its complete you will still have to deal with a few lights in Johnston County. They are working on the portions in Goldsboro and Kinston now. You can see some of the Kinston work from the current 70 by West Pharm. When it's compete it will bypass James City and Havelock as well.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:09 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,032,000 times
It's usually referred to as the Super 70 Corridor.
NCDOT: US 70 Corridor

Old 05-23-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
And where would you have those people that occupy those homes live? In the projects? One of the great things about Eastern Carolina is that it is home to people of all levels of income. I moved here from a place where new starter homes start at $300,000. You end up with a place where a working class family can't afford to live.
I'm referring to the rotting ones which have been clearly abandoned, etc. The ones that sit in an open field, etc. There are many of those in eastern nc.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:12 PM

805 posts, read 2,005,612 times
I must say that I am perplexed by a conundrum of enormous proportions.....

At this point in my life, I am unhappy in New Jersey. In point of fact I could go on for several paragraphs about why that is the case.... but that would be repeating all of the bad things ( at least in my mind ) that have been said about New Jersey, where I have resided my entire life. Having said that, after expressing my displeasure with the Garden State, I am leaving, moving, gettin' out and generally vamoosing..... to another state..... guess where.

NOW the conundrum...... there are so many people, especially on this forum, that obviously and vehemently hate coastal North carolina and regularly profess that hatred at any opportunity they get..... now here comes the conundrum..... if they absolutely hate where they live so so so very much...... I cannot figure out for the life of me why they don't just leave. If they did that they could stop whining and moaning about it to everyone, have a better life and perhaps even get some self respect for themselves. Now, of course I do not have the answer to that question / conundrum..... perhaps some people just like to whine and moan ?

Old 05-23-2011, 04:34 PM

[quote=Stonecreek67;19279695]I must say that I am perplexed by a conundrum of enormous proportions.....

At this point in my life, I am unhappy in New Jersey. In point of fact I could go on for several paragraphs about why that is the case.... but that would be repeating all of the bad things ( at least in my mind ) that have been said about New Jersey, where I have resided my entire life. Having said that, after expressing my displeasure with the Garden State, I am leaving, moving, gettin' out and generally vamoosing..... to another state..... guess where.

Geez.......Why must people on this forum get so uptight over another person's opinion? It's called freedom of speech. If you don't like it then go make your own thread titled "Coastal Region Of NC, the best thing since sliced bread."

We all do not have to like the same things...............plain and simple.

Also, I do not have the wonderful option of just "leaving" since the depressed economy is leaving me no choice but to stay here. Not too many people are wanting to spend over $400k for a home in this region. If you know of anyone whom would like to purchase my home for $450k, feel free to pm me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina