Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 12:08 PM

4 posts, read 8,860 times

Advertisements

We moved to Hampstead a little over a year ago from CT (originally from MD), with nothing but good things to say about the area at this time. Looked at St. John's County, FL, decided against it and focused on Wilmington, NC area. Wilmington a little bit more congested than we wanted, but really no more traffic than a moderate size suburb of DC or Phil. If you look at Wilmington, you would want to focus on areas that feed Hoggard (sp) HS.

Weather here is not as hot and humid as FL and I found my first summer not much hotter and humid than the DC area. Winter typically has average highs somewhere around 56-58, although this winter has been colder. If it snows, we get very little and melts within a day! No real crime to speak of compared to NY and DC suburbs. Daughter in Middle School loves it and adapted well, Topsail HS has ranked well in state with no more than @ 900 students. Only 12 minutes from Topsail Beach, never really that crowded, except a couple of weekends here and there, and parking is free (unlike Wrightsville). Very family oriented, but quiet with limited # restaurants. As others have said, need to go to Wilmington for major shopping. But there are Food Lions and new Harris Teeter grocery store. Hardware needs met at 2 ACE hardware stores and larger Lowes. 4 Golf courses, plenty of save jogging places. New public boat launch going in soon (3 bays), and surf city one too. Also, a new Movie Theater project is being started in Surf City on way to beach. People are nice, combination of Locals and newcomers, retirees, former military, healthy mix of blue collar/white collar, trade/service/etc employed people, rural folks. And everyone I see seems to tolerate and except one another well.

Plenty of doctors in Hampstead and Wilmington. Good Hospital in Wilmington 45 minutes away. Airport also about 45 minutes. Mrytle Beach about 1.15 hours away. Low R/E taxes a real plus from both NY/DC area, probably about 50% lower than DC, and 4 times lower than CT/N. Jersey. Finally, as you are aware always +s and -s with any area, but happy with our decision.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 01:10 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K&AMC View Post
Does traffic get ridiculous in the summer? I live in the southern most part of New Jersey right now. The summer comes and so do the people. Its not that I mind people but completely shuts you down from enjoying the key reason we live here (the Shore). Not to mention the fact that “Northerns” can be a little pushy and always in a rush. They come here to relax and all they do is rush around and seem aggravated (wonderful vacation huh).
Yes, of course traffic is bad during the summer at the beach (Note that in NC, we don't say "The Shore"--it's "The Beach" ), and yes, lots of them are "Northerners", maybe even your old neighbors . Good for the economy, not so good for the locals--but isn't every vacation town like that?

Old 03-22-2010, 07:55 AM

3 posts, read 9,777 times
Thanks. I will remember "THE BEACH".

Old 03-29-2010, 01:24 AM

96 posts, read 433,527 times
"What I dislike about the whole Wilmington/Hampstead/Sneads Ferry area is the lack of public access to the Intracoastal waterway. Towns like Beaufort and Southport have nice open and public waterfronts along the ICW. "
iN SNEADS FERRY THERE ARE TWO PUBLIC LAUNCHES ONE ON SRIPMLADY DR, JUST UNDER THE HIGHRISE BRIDGE, AND THE OTHER AT THE END OF TURKEY HILL RD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina