Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 4,322 times

Advertisements

My wife and I (mid-50s) would like to visit coastal NC for a week in April. Looking for a small ocean-front rental house on a nice but less-crowded beach. Not fond of crowds. Would like to have good seafood restaurants within an hour drive. We're not familiar with the area. Would appreciate help on areas to look, and even trusted rental agencies if you have any to recommend. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 07:51 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlc View Post
My wife and I (mid-50s) would like to visit coastal NC for a week in April. Looking for a small ocean-front rental house on a nice but less-crowded beach. Not fond of crowds. Would like to have good seafood restaurants within an hour drive. We're not familiar with the area. Would appreciate help on areas to look, and even trusted rental agencies if you have any to recommend. Thanks.
earlc- NC has just over 300 miles of coastline, your options are pretty much unending!

We have visited the north end, Corolla, Duck, Nags Head, Hatteras and the south end, Ocean Isle Beach, Holden, Oak and Sunset Islands. Haven't been to the beaches just north of Wilmington (Topsail, Wrightsville Beaches) yet.

The NC coastline is quite magnificent. With that said, one of the quietest and prettiest (in my opinion) is Sunset Beach. There are no high rises on this beach and it is wide and clean. The houses sit well back from the beach and there is easy access. There are a ton of rentals on this beach.

Calabash NC is 6 miles from Sunset Beach and has several good seafood restaurants.

We have found some good deals on VRBO (vacation rental by owner).

I am sure others will chime in with their favs too!

Have a great time where ever you end up!

Old 02-23-2010, 11:55 AM

955 posts, read 4,090,146 times
Check out Topsail island.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:05 PM

135 posts, read 640,437 times
holden beach seems to be the quietest in the south, although there are several secluded beaches once you get out onto bald head island. But in April I doubt that things will be too crazy, May is usually when things start to pick up more

Old 02-25-2010, 06:19 PM

56 posts, read 118,317 times
Check out the Crystal Coast. Wonderful beaches...wide open, no crowds.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:11 PM

33 posts, read 105,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACHFUN View Post
I have a nice beach cottage just steps from an uncrowded beach very relaxing and quiet in Fort Myers Beach, Florida with plenty of seafood restaurants and shops close by. email me at musclekennels hotmail.com if interested.
How does that help the OP who wants to visit coastal NORTH CAROLINA ? If they wanted to know about Florida I'm sure they would have asked in the proper forum and not specified that they wanted to visit NC.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:30 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Perhaps one of the most telling things about N.C. beaches is, that they belong to the public, no one can own a part of the beach, it is public domain. Probably why it is not as built up as other areas. The beaches are nearly pristine, often times you can look either left or right and not see a dozen people. Odds are, families, surf fishing or running their dogs, are the most usual sights, it is not crowded. I think all of us have our favorite spots, mine is the Morehead City, Atlantic Beach area. Usually, when I am at the coast, I am actively engaged in bait drowning. Most of the foreigners are from Pennsylvania, nice folks, usually down here to enjoy a mostly empty beach and to fish. Delaware is starting to make a small headway in our tourist market, I have never had any issues with the non-N.C. tourists, they have always been polite and easy to talk with-mostly about fishing, or "Yes, the beach is usually this deserted".

Old 03-05-2010, 06:15 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,354 times
April is a great month. Look for beach water temps to jump 5-10 degrees during the month. Crowds should not be a problem. The only "crowd" I could think of would be on OBX-And that would be a "crowd" of fishermen that lucked into a school of drum, dog sharks or sea mullets
Water temps will be warmer from the point of Hatteras south.
Bill

Old 03-11-2010, 03:50 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlc View Post
Huuuuuummmmmmmm, well......most of N.C.'s beach area is uncrowded, that seems to be one of the draws, the others are, Excellent Fishing (actually I believe that one is first) good food, friendly people. The beach belongs to the public, which is probably why we don't have huge resorts.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:42 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
I think you might be happy with renting on the Crystal Coast on Bogue Banks. Beach towns to consider are Emerald Isle, Salter Path, Atlantic Beach, Indian Beach. You'll find pretty beaches and lots of seafood restaurants and good places for day trips. You can visit cute Swansboro, historic Beaufort with its many restaurant options, interesting unique shops, and historical district. You can walk the waterfront in Morehead City and try their eateries, too.

There's the NC Aquarium in Pine Knoll Shores, Fort Macon in Atlantic Beach, the Watercraft Center and Maritime Museum in Beaufort, the History Place in Morehead, and many art galleries all within an easy drive of your beachfront rental.

And don't forget to hop a tiny ferry and go to experience the wild, untouched beauty of Cape Lookout National Seashore.

You'll not be bored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina