Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2010, 07:53 AM

49 posts, read 190,469 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We will be in New Bern in a few weeks on vacation, and I have never traveled to the area before. We are doing a road trip and are very excited about the travel but would love some feedback. I am looking for a nice beach near the area for I have a toddler. Also what to see and do in the area, as I mentioned I have never been to North Carolina or New Bern and would love some input.
Thanks
Susan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 10:24 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,354 times
New Bern is one road and 30 miles away from some of the most pristine ocean beaches you can find anywhere. take HWY 70 East to the Crystal Coast (Carteret County).
Bill

Old 04-10-2010, 11:42 AM

983 posts, read 3,988,236 times
New Bern is home to Tyron Palace, one of the Colonial Capitols of the state. Also the Pepsi-Cola museum, and a really cool fire museum. There are lots of historical homes to visit as well.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:29 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
About an hour up up US-17 is Washington, NC. Has a great waterfront and an excellent Estuarium. I would make the trip if I had a couple days in New Bern.
Once there, you can ease on down to Historic Bath for an hour or so, then continue east and ride the ferry back across the Pamlico River, and stop by the Fossil Museum in Aurora..you can "dig" for fossils in material right from the mine, in front of the museum. Then you have about 45 minutes back to New Bern.

A second trip, while down at the beach you can go to Fort Macon, which is pretty cool, and then go over to Beaufort for lunch on Taylors Creek (waterfront). The Maritime museum is pretty interesting in Beaufort as is the whole little town.

Nothing here is really overwhelming, but there are a lot of very nice things you can do in several days. You can stay as busy as you like, but I would spend two of my days as I have outline above.

Have Fun.

lln

Old 04-10-2010, 04:50 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
If you're a beach lover, I would definitely see if you can squeeze in a trip to Cape Lookout National Seashore. It's a pristine and wild beach, great for long walks, shelling and dreaming. You'll have to take anything you want to eat or drink with you...it's got no commercial development...it's a pretty boat trip by little ferry (pedestrian-only) from Harker's Island.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:40 AM

49 posts, read 190,469 times
Thanks for your great posts, we will be in New Bern for 7 days, and your ideas are wonderful.. I am a beach lover and also love the ideas posted!!! I have a toddler, so we need to mix things up each day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina