Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 06:25 PM

185 posts, read 991,933 times

Advertisements

when we went to outer banks the kids were told about the pirate history and given pirate hats and swords, then they buried their toys on the beach and tried to dig them up before the waves washed away the x's. needless to say some toys were lost but the kids didn't ask about a rollercoaster all week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 10:30 PM

3 posts, read 5,627 times
Default Wilmington

Highway 40 will put you in Wilmington/Wrightsville beach in about 2 hours or less.
If you want the "blank beach" feel of the outer banks, and you have a vehicle that can handle sand, then keep 40 all the way through Wilmington and into Carolina Beach. Ask for directions to either the "north or south end" where you can drive your vehicle around the dunes and onto the beach.
Carolina Beach also has a little carnival and a boardwalk where you can buy a fresh doughnut and some tacky stuff (the last time I was there).
Closer to Wilmington proper is Wrightsville Beach. Check out the NC Aquarium at the south tip of Wrightsville at Fort Fisher, then you can take a ferry to Southport. The best cheeseburger ever (maybe because of the view) is at Dockside Restaurant on the Intracoastal Waterway that overlooks the boats, marina, and drawbridge into Wrightsville Beach. Wilmington itself has a beautiful historic district and the USS North Carolina Battleship docked across the river from downtown is a pretty cool tour for the kids too.
Obviously, I like Wilmington a lot.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:24 AM

83 posts, read 500,655 times
Thanks for all the info. I found out this morning that my son's speech therapist vacations in Wrightsville Beach. She says it's beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing things for ourselves.
BTW - what do people refer to vacationing at the beach as in NC? Do they say "going down the shore", "to the beach" etc. Just curious.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:04 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
People say they're "going to the beach" in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina