Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:02 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times

Advertisements

Where has FEMA been during all of this? It falls within their realm of responsibilities.
From the FEMA web site:

FEMA Mission
FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.
DISASTER. It strikes anytime, anywhere. It takes many forms -- a hurricane, an earthquake, a tornado, a flood, a fire or a hazardous spill, an act of nature or an act of terrorism. It builds over days or weeks, or hits suddenly, without warning. Every year, millions of Americans face disaster, and its terrifying consequences.
FEMA: About FEMA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 10:25 AM

449 posts, read 699,466 times
Default FEMA is at work there already...

... I don't have the free time right now to get lots of links, but this one I had at hand makes reference to FEMA activities:

Navy Reservist Assists FEMA in Oil Spill Cleanup

DHS Secretary Napolitano was recently called to a Senate hearing to list what the DHS (which FEMA is part of) is doing about this disaster. Try to search for the transcript of her testimony, that list of activities is a good base to do further searches on what's happening.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:44 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Tar Balls have entered Key West. Not good folks
More tar balls reported on Keys shores | KeysNews.com

Old 05-18-2010, 03:59 PM

572 posts, read 1,610,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
Mother nature has a way of taking care of herself. Even if some oil potentially hit the coast of NC, it'll be so dilluted that it will have little effect. The oil that is spilling in the gulf is untouched, un-refined, un-processed crude. It's nothing like the oil that is inside of a car engine and certainly isn't going to produce some massive black oil slick covering the beaches. The oil spill is certainly not good but it has definately been "hyped" as a little worse than it actually is by the media. After all disasters are good for TV ratings.
^I posted that a week ago and I'll post it again in a month because it's true. That black stuff spilling into the ocean is 100% pure mother nature. Again, I'm not saying it's a good thing because it definately isn't but as far as it being some wildly large natural disaster well it isn't that either. Crude leaks into the ocean daily all by itself. So do tons and tons of natural gas. The media acts like millions of gallons of refined petroleum are spilling into the gulf of Mexico and that simply isn't happening.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
I think now IMO we are letting a company try to handle a disaster
they created. IF FEMA takes control then BP will wipe there hands
and contribute less. It all about them making money
that is all they care about
Spoiler
BOYCOTT BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Where has FEMA been during all of this? It falls within their realm of responsibilities.
From the FEMA web site:

FEMA Mission
FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.
DISASTER. It strikes anytime, anywhere. It takes many forms -- a hurricane, an earthquake, a tornado, a flood, a fire or a hazardous spill, an act of nature or an act of terrorism. It builds over days or weeks, or hits suddenly, without warning. Every year, millions of Americans face disaster, and its terrifying consequences.
FEMA: About FEMA

Old 05-19-2010, 09:41 AM

A disaster is a disaster. FEMA doesn't distinguish between natural or manmade occurences.
It's been a month. The past days should have been days of action not days of preperation for prosecution and blame.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Im behind you on this. I agree .
I love your profile line btw.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:31 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
^I posted that a week ago and I'll post it again in a month because it's true. That black stuff spilling into the ocean is 100% pure mother nature. Again, I'm not saying it's a good thing because it definately isn't but as far as it being some wildly large natural disaster well it isn't that either. Crude leaks into the ocean daily all by itself. So do tons and tons of natural gas. The media acts like millions of gallons of refined petroleum are spilling into the gulf of Mexico and that simply isn't happening.
It isn't a wildly large _natural_ disaster, it's a wildly large manmade disaster.

But, you know, I hope you're right, I really do. But crude oil, while it may not be as toxic as refined petroleum products, can and does smother and drown the wildlife. That's bad enough in itself.

I was out in the surf here today for a while. And after I had been back home for an hour or so and I still had seawater draining out of my sinuses, I realized that if any of this oil heads up the coast of NC, my days of riding the waves will be over. Every time I go out into the surf I get seawater up my nose, down my throat and in my eyes. So, of course, I'm not going to go out there if there's crude oil in the water.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:47 AM

I see the Federal Government has finally decided to take action on the oil spill. And seeing that it is the federal government that action could only mean one thing............
A new tax.
I love what Harry Reid says, "Taxpayers will not pick up the tab"
The Associated Press: Oil tax increase would help pay to clean up spills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina