Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 05:36 PM

90 posts, read 267,266 times

Advertisements

We have never been to any beach here at NC and would like to go to one over the Memorial day weekend. We are okay with a slightly longer drive but are hoping for a beach that is not too crowded - preferably which has a nice restaurant or two. Would love some recommendations.

P.S:I have been looking online and at old threads most of the afternoon and still very lost.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 05:46 PM

289 posts, read 489,721 times
Emerald Isle is nice.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:27 AM

551 posts, read 1,875,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWorld View Post
We have never been to any beach here at NC and would like to go to one over the Memorial day weekend. We are okay with a slightly longer drive but are hoping for a beach that is not too crowded - preferably which has a nice restaurant or two. Would love some recommendations.

P.S:I have been looking online and at old threads most of the afternoon and still very lost.

TIA
Where are do you live and where are you driving from? That could make a difference.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:26 AM

90 posts, read 267,266 times
Sorry I missed that. I live in N.Raleigh.

Thanks

Old 05-27-2010, 08:47 AM

551 posts, read 1,875,975 times
Well, from North Raleigh the closest beach would be Wrightsville. It is likely to be very crowded and it can be hard to park. It is only a 2 1/2 hour drive to Topsail Beach (Surf City) which is a very nice beach. Restaurants would be way nicer at Wrightsville but on the other hand in Topsail you are pretty close to Wilmington where there are some very good restaurants.
Someone else suggested Emerald Isle, while it is a lovely beach it takes longer to drive there from Raleigh, and I don't think it has anywhere specifically nice to eat either. (If you had a place to stay at Wrightsville that included parking you could like it, it is crowded but good if you care about restaurants.)

Old 05-27-2010, 03:17 PM

135 posts, read 640,556 times
Wrightsville is going to be nuts this weekend. Carolina and Kure will be busy too, but probably less with 20 somethings and more families. Holden beach, further to the south (45 min or so from Wilm) might be less crowded since its much more family oriented, but i'm not familiar with the restaurants in that part of the world.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:10 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,445 times
my vote is for Pleasure Island, in other
words Carolina beach and Kure beach.
they will still be fairly crowded , Kure beach the least , but nowhere near
what Wrightsville beach will be.

while there are several good restaurants on Pleasure island
it is not too far to drive into Wilmington to dine.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:04 PM

713 posts, read 3,930,324 times
Smile Go can find a spot on the Crystal Coast

You are about three hours from Emerald Isle. While we will have people on the beach, it will not be nearly as crowded as most beaches.

If you head up to Eastern Regional access about 5 miles east of Emerald Isle you should be away from the worst crowds.

There are some beach accesses even further up.

Check out my travel guide to Emerald Isle (http://coastalnc.org/emeraldislenctravelguidecd - broken link) or this post on beaches in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina