Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 02:43 PM

451 posts, read 1,921,154 times

Advertisements

While Greenville's crime concerns me, I still find people here very friendly and laid back. Although it's hot, I find summer to be the best time here because of the laid back atmosphere and being relatively close to the sounds and beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 04:03 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,294,889 times
And don't forget about the Police Substation. It is only 1/2 a mile from the main station, but is set up to community police/etc in West Greenville. GPD is currently debating on if they should build another substation north of the river

Old 06-09-2010, 07:19 PM

168 posts, read 496,428 times
Thanks, but there is no need for any of you guys to apologize. I just see a lot of promise in Greenville, and I think that it is a town that will continuously grow and develop, unlike many towns across the US and I find that so exciting. Anyway, you probably won't see much of me over the next two weeks, I have about 10 million projects, Tests, Quizzes and Final exams (I'm slightly behind because of my many Greenville visits :P) but I will check in soon, hopefully I will be moving in sooner rather than later

Old 06-09-2010, 07:43 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,294,889 times
Good luck with everything!

Old 06-12-2010, 01:35 PM

317 posts, read 829,924 times
I am just going to throw my two cents in...I am moving from Greenville in the next month or so. I have lived in couple of states both in rural and urban areas. I would put Greenville at the bottom of the list in nearly every thing that is important to me. Again, these are my priorities and opinion.
  • The schools are horrible. In general this is a state-wide issue.
  • The crime is out of this world...forget going out after dark.
  • There is a general lack of leisure activities...very little in the way of state parks, beach is 2 hours away, mountains are 3 hours away, and the town parks are below average.
  • Traffic is unexplainable for a town of its size.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
forget going out after dark
the crime rate is pretty bad, but this statement is an exaggeration.

Quote:
Traffic is unexplainable for a town of its size
Traffic is bad, but nowhere near as bad as the larger cities I have lived in. When ECU is out for the summer, I find the traffic to be quite manageable. The city has several roadway improvement projects planned or under construction to help alleviate the problem. The southwest bypass for Highway 11 will help as well.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:10 PM

Oh by the way, I received an above-average education from my NC high school. Rural areas in this state tend to have lower-performing schools, but there are some great ones in this state.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:39 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,135,797 times
The "traffic" in Greenville is easy. Except for a couple of traffic lights that have bizarre timing, you never have to sit through more than one red light. When it becomes a regular thing to have to sit through 2, 3 and 4 red lights to get through an intersection then the traffic will be bad.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:04 AM

317 posts, read 829,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithuania View Post
the crime rate is pretty bad, but this statement is an exaggeration.

Traffic is bad, but nowhere near as bad as the larger cities I have lived in. When ECU is out for the summer, I find the traffic to be quite manageable. The city has several roadway improvement projects planned or under construction to help alleviate the problem. The southwest bypass for Highway 11 will help as well.
Yeah, probably true, but that's how I feel, so it became my reality. Compared to other areas in the state it does have a high crime rate..actually, twice the national average.

No doubt, it sounds like you agree with me. The problem comparing it to larger cities is that Greenville is only 70k people.

Lithuania, I wasn't attacking anyone's education. Anyone can get an above-average education anywhere, but Pitt Co. ranks 93rd out 112.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:00 PM

Check on this website...you will be surprised by the level of crime in a lot of NC cities. It's something that needs to be addressed in a lot of areas.

Unfortunately, Greenville's crime is comparable to several cities of comparable size in this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina