Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 04:01 PM

168 posts, read 496,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerguy45 View Post
You really have no idea what you are talking about.
I live up north, so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about I was just giving a perspective, like everyone else and I'm sorry you don't agree. I would like to know what part you don't agree with though

If you are talking about what I said about crime being condensed, crime is condensed for the most part to West Greenville, I think everyone is agreeing on that. I am looking in the Taberna/Mill Creek/ Barrington Fields area and all I can say is it is the opposite of Crime ridden/downtrodden. I have talked to many locals, and all of them have said that if you go out at 3 am and there are no cops around, yes, you will get mugged. I have no intentions of going out late at all at least until I am in college, and even then I would not go not being in a large group, not just in Greenville, anywhere. And my 40-something year old parents don't go out past 8...ever so I don't think they'll have any issues.

As far as my North Comments, we did have a ridiculous amount of snow, we hadn't seen grass in 2+ months after it pretty much snowed all of February. And as far as things going unreported in the smaller towns, ESPECIALLY in the Tri-State area, that is true as well because a shooting in NYC beats out a shooting in a small town in NJ anyday. I know for a fact my safe, small town had three murders, none of which are on City-Data. So the fact that things go unreported is true as well.

And have seen some of your other posts and don't you live in the Outer Banks, which is 2+ hours away from G-Ville?

Last edited by JACKIE27; 06-07-2010 at 04:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 04:51 PM

451 posts, read 1,920,010 times
Jackie27, don't let posts like that bother you, especially posters that just post one line without any clarification.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:15 PM

264 posts, read 910,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKIE27 View Post
I live up north, so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about I was just giving a perspective, like everyone else and I'm sorry you don't agree. I would like to know what part you don't agree with though

If you are talking about what I said about crime being condensed, crime is condensed for the most part to West Greenville, I think everyone is agreeing on that. I am looking in the Taberna/Mill Creek/ Barrington Fields area and all I can say is it is the opposite of Crime ridden/downtrodden. I have talked to many locals, and all of them have said that if you go out at 3 am and there are no cops around, yes, you will get mugged. I have no intentions of going out late at all at least until I am in college, and even then I would not go not being in a large group, not just in Greenville, anywhere. And my 40-something year old parents don't go out past 8...ever so I don't think they'll have any issues.

As far as my North Comments, we did have a ridiculous amount of snow, we hadn't seen grass in 2+ months after it pretty much snowed all of February. And as far as things going unreported in the smaller towns, ESPECIALLY in the Tri-State area, that is true as well because a shooting in NYC beats out a shooting in a small town in NJ anyday. I know for a fact my safe, small town had three murders, none of which are on City-Data. So the fact that things go unreported is true as well.

And have seen some of your other posts and don't you live in the Outer Banks, which is 2+ hours away from G-Ville?
Your comments about me living 2 hours away show how little you know about Eastern NC. In other parts of the country that is a great distance not here. My son also went to ECU living on campus for a semester before transferring. Greenville is not a safe place. ECU is a fun school where many locals have great pride, The Medical school is vital to Eastern NC. The crime aspect is something locals have fought for a long time and they are not winning. Crime does happen on campus and has,thats all I will say because I love ECU as a school. My sales territory is Eastern NC and I am in Greenville all the time. In closing I cannot wait for you to use that line " I live up north so I do know what I am talking about" in G Vegas, that will make you the darling of the party !

Old 06-07-2010, 05:23 PM

I know what I am talking about when it comes to up North, I've lived here all my life so I'm pretty sure that is a fair statement??? I wasn't sure what you were talking about since you insulted me with an unthought out, one line response, so I was not sure if you were questioning my standpoint on Greenville or the North. And I'm pretty sure almost every college campus has crime, it kind of comes with the territory. And I never denied Greenville has crime, I said it is condensed to certain areas. There are safe parts, and there are very unsafe parts. I talked to a woman at the visitors center and she has been in Greenville 12+ years, she used to live in Brooklyn and she compared it to Brooklyn, there are gorgeous parts, and there are parts you really don't want to be in.As I said before, everyone is allowed to have their own opinion, and as for the two hours, everyone else in this thread (minus me, who will be there soon) lives IN, Greenville, and I was just pointing out that you did not live IN Greenville and didn't experience Greenville life on a daily basis, etc, etc. 2 hours is not far at all for me. As I said before, I was prepared to be grilled, I just wanted to state and defend my opinion. Maybe I should have reworded my first sentence, but I was defending my views on the north more because I thought that was what you were annoyed about. What the sentence was supposed to mean, before it was taken out of context was, I am from the North, therefore I'm pretty sure I know about the North.
Although I do not live in Greenville, I probably know more about Greenville than the town I live in currently, and I have been living here since I was seven, just because of the massive amount of research I we have been doing over the past two months.

And thank you Lithuania

Last edited by JACKIE27; 06-07-2010 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: Sorry for the million edits, I just keep thinking of more things to say :)

Old 06-07-2010, 07:02 PM

Like I said I did not want to start an arguement, just wanted to state an opinion (It wouldn't let me edit my post anymore lol).

Old 06-07-2010, 08:06 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,922,209 times
i think runnerguy is just an argumentative sort. he attacked me in another thread for saying the outer banks was isolated. then proceeded to half-read my post and argue against things I never said

Old 06-08-2010, 04:59 AM

451 posts, read 1,920,010 times
I've noticed on several other forums on this website that certain folks don't mind calling names (not necessarily runnerguy45) and making short abrubt arguementative statements without backing them up. Internet message board tough guys...it's easy to talk big when you are sitting behind a computer and not face to face!

Old 06-08-2010, 05:41 AM

Thanks, all I wanted to do was say how much I love Greenville, and apparently I am wrong for that. It is fine, if he feels the need to pick a fight with a 16 year old girl so be it. And I highly doubt Greenville will hate me for loving their town, but nice try. And I'm glad it's not only me who is being attacked lol.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:44 AM

228 posts, read 603,196 times
Jackie27, I want to apologize. I am not runnerguy, but RunningNorm... btw, funny he and I are both runners, buy anyway... I think it is great that you love Greenville! And, there are many reasons TO love Greenville. Internet forums are funny...I even find myself being a bit more negative online than in real life...but, I guess the internet feels like a safe place to vent.

But, anyway, I have friends in Greenville who, in the past few years, have left "the burbs" and bought homes downtown, because they believe in Greenville and want to see it succeed.

I think you are a lot like them...and there is nothing wrong with that. This town needs people who believe in it. And, being a fellow northerner, I get your perspective.

So, you keep doing your thing and enjoy the good of Greenville and bring your youth and new perspective and change the bad.

Cheers,

R Norm

Old 06-08-2010, 10:56 AM

228 posts, read 603,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Greenville is pumping money into W. Greenville. I think we all can agree that the MAJORITY of the crime is either in or originates from West Greenville. Greenville built new houses on 5th St for W Gville residents at low interest. Nathanial Village is another example. They have plans such as this Gateway. There are other projects dealing with the W. 5th St that they have planned. Once the Farmville-10th St connector gets finished, W 5th St will become a secondary/residential road, as opposed to the major thoroughfare that is is now.

Greenville has a Facade Improvement Grant, which awards up to $5,000 per facade. I think every business SHOULD take advantage of it and there should be some standards uptown. I also believe they should have some kind of tax incentive to get a medium/larger sized business uptown. If we had an influx for 500ish working professionals uptown, that would spur other positive growth.

GPD is accredited by the nations strictest accrediting agency, Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, so they are doing something right (even if it is pushing papers). I'm not sure how other police organizations benefits compare to Greenville, but these seem good. Especially considering how low it is to rent/buy here. Heck, most apartment complexes give police officers a significant break when they live in apt complexes. As for the Police Academy, PCC does the BLET training. I think money could be spent in other places than that.

I guess that is it for now.
Thanks for the great info! Appreciate it!

And, don't get me wrong about our PD. They have my full support...that is why I suggested an academy. But, if PCC has it, that is good.

And, as to the facade program...EVERY business in Uptown should be taking advantage of it! I dream of the day that our Uptown has a Franklin Street vibe or Granby Street!

And, yes, then there is West Greenville... the plan you shared is nice! And, I guess I did not realize how much money is being pumped into that part of town. But, considering it is hard to see the effects, it is understandable.

www.frbsf.org/cpreport/docs/greenville_nc.pdf

Above is the article I referenced. What to do? What to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina