Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 07:12 PM

99 posts, read 268,516 times

Advertisements

The crime in Greenville seems bad to me because it's such a small city and you usually don't expect such crime in a city this size. I am from Raleigh and I remember hearing about break-ins or robberies or murders almost every night on the news, but I never felt unsafe in my neighborhood. I currently live off Firetower road and although I don't feel unsafe here, I do feel unsafe in areas around campus.

I love ECU and have enjoyed my time there, but as soon as I graduate, I am getting out of Greenville. Not because of the crime, but I just don't care for the city in general. I've been to cities a lot smaller than Greenville, and most seem to have a bit of "class" to them. Asheville and Wilmington are perfect examples.

I loved eating at different ethnic restaurants in Raleigh, but I haven't found much of a variety in Greenville. I'm not a big fan of overpriced chain restaurants, so I mostly eat at home. Compared to Raleigh, Greenville is much more religious, something I find a bit annoying.

I'm not really trying to bash Greenville and I've enjoyed my time here, but I'm ready to head to Columbia or Myrtle Beach for grad school. Some people love Raleigh, but living there for 17 years, I got really tired of the traffic and the constant population booming.

EDIT: Another gripe I have with Greenville is tax here. My vehicle was registered in Wake county last year and I paid $65 in taxes. This year in Pitt county I paid $75, yet my car lost value. Electricity here is also really expensive compared to Progress Energy. My 1br apartment hasn't had a bill cheaper than $80/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 08:19 AM

168 posts, read 495,616 times
Actually other than one town that had an average age of, drumroll please...64 I have yet to find a city or town in NC that has a crime index below the national average. Tarboro, Wilmington, Washington, Raliegh, Charlotte, Durham, New Bern and many others all have crimes on par with Greenville (some a little more, some a little less.) It seems to be an NC constant.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:29 AM

451 posts, read 1,918,271 times
^I would say this is pretty constant throughout the South in general.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:56 AM

228 posts, read 602,560 times
Hmm, interesting...

Old 06-25-2010, 04:24 PM

150 posts, read 352,565 times
I think Mattawest has some very good points. Jackie, I think it's great that you and your family want to infuse Greenville with some energy! You will find that there are a number of transplants from the North though. I'm not sure that they'd all agree that's it's heaven .

Old 06-26-2010, 03:50 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,122,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattawest View Post
EDIT: Another gripe I have with Greenville is tax here. My vehicle was registered in Wake county last year and I paid $65 in taxes. This year in Pitt county I paid $75, yet my car lost value. Electricity here is also really expensive compared to Progress Energy. My 1br apartment hasn't had a bill cheaper than $80/month.
Wake Co tax rate is .534.

Pitt is .665.

But...

Pitt County has laid no one off, eliminated ZERO jobs and cut no services.

Wake County has laid 25 people off, cut services and eliminated 33 jobs.

Greenville Utilities is an electric co-op. There is no profit taking and the best that I can tell, they are not overly bloated with highly paid executives. The service seems to be excellent and reliable. I don't hold the cost of electricity against GUC, but rather their suppliers that haven't given GUC a break on the price of electricity despite the fact that the price of wholesale electrcicity is way down.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:10 AM

27 posts, read 56,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I didn't start this thread to be a beat up Greenville thread. It takes time to change a city-town. It won't happen in the course of one year. When I moved here back in 2006 it seemed like these types of crime waves were happening on a regular basis. They weren't so much a wave as the normal. Now they are waves. And this is the first one this year. Greenville is still hiring more and more public safety officers like police and firefighters.
It's definitely like this everywhere. Crime is everywhere, not necessarily every major city/town has the crime as the big cities. But I think every town has their *waves*...but hopefully it mostly stays in the certain crime areas. At least Greenville is keeping up with hiring the police & firefighters...her ein baltimore, they are cutting these jobs, closing firehouses & trying to take away their pensions. And yes, crime is definitely rising due to these instances.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:48 PM

6 posts, read 13,304 times
Greenville is AWFUL. I absolutly hate it. There is nothing to do here (no parks/outdoor activities, a very bad mall...) , almost every restaurant is a chain with disgusting, fattening, processed food. Most of the people are ghetto, or white trash. Honestly. I worked at a chain restaurant, I saw and had to interact with a great deal of the population regularly.

Crime is bad. And its not just in one area. Clearly, the others in that area have nothing of value so they come to the "good" areas to commit their crimes. There frequently are robbers at ATM's, gas stations, and fast food restaurants. The assailants always seem to have the same description yet they are never caught....

I came here for college a few years ago, I THOUGHT it seemed like a nice town- I was wrong. I can not wait to move after graduation and I really think you should reconsider.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:18 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,281,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ11 View Post
Greenville is AWFUL. I absolutly hate it. There is nothing to do here (no parks/outdoor activities, a very bad mall...) , almost every restaurant is a chain with disgusting, fattening, processed food. Most of the people are ghetto, or white trash. Honestly. I worked at a chain restaurant, I saw and had to interact with a great deal of the population regularly.

Crime is bad. And its not just in one area. Clearly, the others in that area have nothing of value so they come to the "good" areas to commit their crimes. There frequently are robbers at ATM's, gas stations, and fast food restaurants. The assailants always seem to have the same description yet they are never caught....

I came here for college a few years ago, I THOUGHT it seemed like a nice town- I was wrong. I can not wait to move after graduation and I really think you should reconsider.
Well don't the the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

I would counter everything you said, but you seem too disgruntled to even attempt it.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:34 PM

168 posts, read 495,616 times
^^^^I agree completely with Mr. Bojangles, I'm posting to save my spot so I can counter everything you just said when I have the energy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina