Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 12:13 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,480 times

Advertisements

Me and my Wife we trying to think of something to collect. Maybe for monetary value later on, giving to our Daughter later in life or just plain collecting for the hell of it. We boiled it down to Hot Wheels cause yoyo's that we play are too expensive and we cannot resist playing them. We are thinking like when we are in Walmart or the Grocery Store (one we shop at sometimes has them) seeing one we like and maybe buying doubles if we can.

Are there any good online sites for pricing? Buying and trading (yes we know ebay already...lol)? Any tips for when or where to look for any less common ones? Any other tips for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 01:24 PM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Collect something you LOVE.... not something to saddle your daughter with, or something you hope will be worth something someday.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:09 PM

Never know if you love something until you try it. I did not love yoyos when I picked one up for something to do. Now I am hooked. 14 of them now of various materials, shapes and price ranges. Will keep growing that collection too.

So...back to the original questions.

Last edited by BP72; 01-21-2012 at 04:19 PM..

Old 01-21-2012, 09:35 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,269,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP72 View Post
Me and my Wife we trying to think of something to collect. Maybe for monetary value later on, giving to our Daughter later in life or just plain collecting for the hell of it. We boiled it down to Hot Wheels cause yoyo's that we play are too expensive and we cannot resist playing them. We are thinking like when we are in Walmart or the Grocery Store (one we shop at sometimes has them) seeing one we like and maybe buying doubles if we can.

Are there any good online sites for pricing? Buying and trading (yes we know ebay already...lol)? Any tips for when or where to look for any less common ones? Any other tips for us?
My best advice is to collect something you guys enjoy! I dabble in Hotwheels but only buying specific models. When it comes to hotwheels, very few cars from yester years are actually worth something today. A 1995 Treasure Hunt Camero comes to mind. Treasure Hunts has become the big thing but HW refuses to release production numbers and they have treasure hunts and Super Treasure hunts, the STH are the real rare models and you still don't know how many was/is produced. I know they have picked up production over the years. The problem with created collectibles is they tend to over produce them and their usually worthless after 2-3yrs. 1990's comics is a good example off over produced collectables. Anyhow, I sold off some misc TH hotwheels about 4-5 yrs old and got 2.00 a piece.

If you really want to collect something that is fun with a good chance of return on your investment, check out comic book original artwork or older key comics books. Now if you wish to continue with hotwheels, check out Hotwheelscollector's.com. They have a small forum filled with some of the coolest HW collectors on the planet!

Have fun!

Old 01-22-2012, 08:13 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,805,486 times
Matchbox > Hot Wheels.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the info STVRay. Years and years ago I was into Comics (Back when New Universe came out...like Kicker Inc. I think it was) and Sports cards. i would not mind art I could put on the wall. The main reason for Hot wheels is cheap entry point. We just want something else that is cheap to do together along with Yoyoing (That cost because we are into competition grade models now, $60 and upwards). She liked the idea. I would be the one focusing on VW Bugs.. not these new Beetles. So I guess I could branch off with Models along with Hot wheels. Not into having hubcaps on the wall or magazines about it. Also Sportbike Hotwheels.

D2mini. Can you expand your answer more? We could throw matchbox in there too. I just run across Hot Wheels more.

Would be hard but maybe get into stripping and painting those little cars. Might be fun or could be a major P.I.T.A.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:51 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,860 times
I got over 750 of them from the mid 1990's to the early 2000's and can't find a dealer. I got many in different series and won't let someone cherry pick. I will sell the whole bunch or not. I guess not so far, ha ha.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:54 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,805,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP72 View Post
D2mini. Can you expand your answer more? We could throw matchbox in there too. I just run across Hot Wheels more.
I'm just busting balls.
As a kid (and still as an adult) I always preferred Matchbox over Hot Wheels because they felt higher quality, they had been making them much longer, and most importantly (to me) they were more realistic than Hot Wheels. HW did a lot of cartoony looking stuff. MB was all about replicating actual cars.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:47 PM

Thats cool. I have been looking over in a forum and it would seem I have lots of competition on the VW Bugs. Might get sporty in finding those.

We just ordered 3 Duncan Freehand Zero Plastic Yoyo's to modify and do custom painting on... as a side project. The clear models were out of stock at my normal online yoyo stores but found a online bookstore that had them. The clears sell out quick because of custom painting and the FHZ (Freehand Zero) models are popular to do modifications on.

So we are trying different things.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:29 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,667,194 times
We have about 500, I was going to sell them on craigslist before christmas for 2/$1, my son freaked out and said they were worth more. Now, I have 2 boxes of cars that I can't get rid of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques