Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2011, 07:50 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I'd prefer:

Big 12 East
SMU
Houston

Iowa State
Kansas
Oklahoma State
Texas Christian University

Big 12 West

Baylor
Brigham Young
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Texas Tech
Texas

... we really have nothing in common with West Virginia and Louisville... Plus living in DFW, it would be sweet to be able to see my horns play at both TCU and SMU... But this probably won't happen

SMU really hasn't done anything the past decade until JUST recently. Recently, meaning this and last year.

I don't know if another Texas school will be added, but if there is, it'll be U of H, with SMU possibly going to the Big East. At least, that's the way I see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 09:29 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
SMU really hasn't done anything the past decade until JUST recently. Recently, meaning this and last year.

I don't know if another Texas school will be added, but if there is, it'll be U of H, with SMU possibly going to the Big East. At least, that's the way I see it.
Yeh, I don't see them adding SMU.......TCU made sense in a lot ways: 1) strong program and growing, 2) geographic proximity, 3) cultural commonality with the Oklahoma/Texas schools.

I think 4 is the limit on the Texas schools......I could see a provision where room is made for Houston, but that would be it in my view.

IMHO, they have to find a way to separate the Oklahoma and Texas schools from one another and also spread them out in different divisions....that's why I prefer the East/West. It wouldn't add up perfectly in terms of divisions by region....but I think it would be better than the North/South all over again.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 10-11-2011 at 09:37 AM..

Old 10-11-2011, 12:30 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
There is no way the Texas/OU game should be split up. That has been the biggest game in the state for the last half century, not to mention a huge moneymaker for both the conference.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:29 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,282,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Yeh, I don't see them adding SMU.......TCU made sense in a lot ways: 1) strong program and growing, 2) geographic proximity, 3) cultural commonality with the Oklahoma/Texas schools.

I think 4 is the limit on the Texas schools......I could see a provision where room is made for Houston, but that would be it in my view.

IMHO, they have to find a way to separate the Oklahoma and Texas schools from one another and also spread them out in different divisions....that's why I prefer the East/West. It wouldn't add up perfectly in terms of divisions by region....but I think it would be better than the North/South all over again.
How about Tulsa instead of SMU? I'd be okay with that... Plus Tulsa's program has been improving in the last couple years

West Virginia just doesn't make much sense to me... I could maybe be on board with Louisville, but that is still kind of strange...

Old 10-11-2011, 05:46 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,258 times
I have nothing against TU, but they are way too small a school to be in a BCS conference. I looked it up and they only have around 4,100 students.

If the Big Ten can preserve Ohio State and Michigan while having them in different divisions I see no reason why the same can't be done with OU/Texas.

I don't know if there is really a need to split off the Oklahoma and Texas schools, though. I think that makes an assumption that things are going to remain as they have been in recent years. You have to look at more than that. There have been times in the early years of the conference where just about all the South teams were going through a bad or at least mediocre stretch.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
There is no way the Texas/OU game should be split up. That has been the biggest game in the state for the last half century, not to mention a huge moneymaker for both the conference.
I never advocated doing away with the Red River Shootout.

Look at the divisions I proposed and you'll see more what I was thinking. See post #158.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 10-11-2011 at 06:59 PM..

Old 10-11-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I have nothing against TU, but they are way too small a school to be in a BCS conference. I looked it up and they only have around 4,100 students.

If the Big Ten can preserve Ohio State and Michigan while having them in different divisions I see no reason why the same can't be done with OU/Texas.

I don't know if there is really a need to split off the Oklahoma and Texas schools, though. I think that makes an assumption that things are going to remain as they have been in recent years. You have to look at more than that. There have been times in the early years of the conference where just about all the South teams were going through a bad or at least mediocre stretch.
Yeh, I think for whatever reason, the North/South divisions made it an "Us vs. Them" kinda mentality. The Oklahoma/Texas schools vs. All Those Northerners. At least that appears to be kinda how Nebraska felt. It makes sense somewhat as there is much more regional commonality/cultural affinity with Oklahoma/Texas than say Kansas/Missouri and Above. I think the East/West would help with this issue....while not a major one, it needs to be addressed with Oklahoma and Texas schools ruling the conference.

Again, look at the divisions I've proposed (there are Oklahoma and Texas schools mixed together....it's just they're not ALL together) and I've tried to promote balance more than anything.

See post#158....if Missouri stays and the Big 12 stays at 10 then just remove West Virginia/Louisville in the East (add Missouri) and then remove BYU in the West. Pretty balanced divisions.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:45 PM

I'd say, if they're trying to get back to 12, and Mizzou DOESN'T leave, I think their best bets are some school from the C-USA (not SMU or any of the east division schools), 2 (possibly 3) Big East schools if they don't completely implode, and BYU.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:06 PM

Default Game 7

This week's result: TCU BEATS New Mexico: 69-0

2011 season record: (5-2)

Just replace the coyote with a lobo....

Blood Squirting Lizard - YouTube

Old 10-28-2011, 09:10 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,455,438 times
TCU winning as I expected against a horrible BYU team, one of their worst in a while, although I see BYU have more total yardage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football