Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 02:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

So now that there are 12 schools in the Big Ten and 10 (9?) schools in the Big 12, is it time to consider retiring the idea of naming your conference after the number of schools in the conference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I don't believe the SEC has actually "offered" to anyone. They may be receptive to Texas A&M's request, but I do not believe it is the SEC that initiated any of this. A&M wants out...it seems to me they are the ones courting the SEC, not the other way around.

As for Mizzou...that would be an awful fit for the SEC.

And my last point...no matter what the Aggies think, they aren't coming to the SEC unless the SEC can add another. This isn't going to be a 13 team conference. Conference logic would also assume that if a team is added to the West, then the next would be added to the East. Reason being that if 2 are added to the West, Auburn moves East, which will upset the Tennessee-Alabama rivalry.
What's wrong with a 13-team conference?

Old 08-13-2011, 02:54 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Yeah, I thought if Mizzou would go anywhere it would be to the Big 10.

Texas could fit in well with either the Big 10 or the PAC 12.

OU could go either way too.
Rumor is Texas would go independent if the Big XII collapses...but I think ultimately that could be a bad decision for them...especially if most of the elite programs are concentrated in the Big Ten, Pac 12 (or 16?), and SEC. Time would tell, there.

I think the TV deal will be a BIG issue with joining any of those conferences. Each of those conferences share revenue equally.

OU is in an interesting spot. Territory-wise, they could go almost anywhere. The only potential problem I see is being saddled with little brother Okie Lite. Rumor was last year that the SEC wanted OU, but would've had to take Okie Lite as part of the package. That could be a potential problem if the Big XII collapses...but in the end, OU will likely end up at one of the 3 (seems the Pac 12 is the most talked about rumor).

I think all of this talk really just shows how weak the current state of the Big XII is. Conference leadership seems to be especially weak. Teams are thinking of their own interests, and in some cases, actively seeking out other conferences as potential suitors. Unless something drastic happens, the writing appears to be on the wall for the Big XII. I just wonder where this will leave teams like Kansas, Kansas State, Mizzou, Texas Tech, etc. Could the MWC or Conference USA improve their "mid major" status by picking up a few more decent teams?

Old 08-13-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What's wrong with a 13-team conference?
Scheduling...unbalanced divisions...unlucky number...potential screwing up of historic rivalries, etc.

It's going to be 12 or 14. 13 makes zero sense...A&M being the 13th wheel.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:02 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Texas will NOT be going independent or to the SEC, and TV deals are always negotiable.

Any conference would love to have Texas and/or OU. To say otherwise is foolish.

The Dinky Dozen (Big 12) is a conference waiting to disintegrate completely. Most Texas fans are in favor of that happening.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:03 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Scheduling...unbalanced divisions...unlucky number...potential screwing up of historic rivalries, etc.

Good luck with the aggroids, you're welcome to them.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:04 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,813 times
Looks like it is going to shape as four super conferences.

College football is becoming just like the rest of this confusing world------confusing and revolving solely aroung the benjamins.

It would not be a suprise if the big 12 totally collapses, thus allowing Texas to do what they want---to go independent and choose their own course.

At one time going solo seemed to a poor choice-----however, BYU has done so with a nice deal with espn and their own network. Texas already has their Longhorn Network, so why not just be done with it and go solo and hitch their entire wagon to espn?

Florida State is going to split the acc and go to the sec---probably ditto Clemson.

Got your scorecards folks----need to have them to know what the conference alignments are.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:

What about scheduling? What do you mean by "unbalanced divisions?" And isn't the fluid situation re: conference alignments already threatening historic rivalries?

Old 08-13-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Texas will NOT be going independent or to the SEC, and TV deals are always negotiable.

Any conference would love to have Texas and/or OU. To say otherwise is foolish.

The Dinky Dozen (Big 12) is a conference waiting to disintegrate completely. Most Texas fans are in favor of that happening.
That's just the rumor. Personally, I'm taking all of this crap with a grain of salt until one of these conferences officially announces this happening.

And yes, it goes without saying that pretty much any conference would take Texas or OU in a heartbeat. All I'm saying is that Texas would have to give up the LHN if they join the Big Ten, Pac 12, or SEC.

Quote:
Good luck with the aggroids, you're welcome to them.
Honestly, I'm not in favor of having them. They're like Auburn fans....x10...with a less successful history to back it up.

But if we have to, I'd like to see the East balanced out with an ACC team (FSU or VT) rather than more Big XII leftovers (Mizzou).

Old 08-13-2011, 03:26 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,460,038 times
Question for Horns fans- At this point absolutely no carriers in Texas offer the LHN (with 2 weeks until the start of the season). Other than football and basketball, no collegiate sport really draws a large audience to support a network. And no way in heck do coaches' shows, rebroadcasts of games pay the bills. So, how concerned are you about the LHN really being a success? Will more games be offered later in the season?

If Texas goes independent and super-conferences form, those conferences can really hang UT out to dry by refusing to schedule the Longhorns. This would leave UT scrambling to play Rice, SMU, and other scrub teams. Any concern about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football