Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 02:37 PM

5,167 posts, read 3,671,720 times

Advertisements

Im not trying to debate the merits of the game last night--my question is simple...and I admit, I have ragged on him as well, but: How do you think Jarrett Lee feels today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 02:58 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,342,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Im not trying to debate the merits of the game last night--my question is simple...and I admit, I have ragged on him as well, but: How do you think Jarrett Lee feels today?
Who cares?

Seems like a decent person and wish him all the best, but he was never the answer at QB. He and Jefferson have been alternating at the QB position over the past three years, before Miles finally decided that it's better to have a guy who can run the ball and occasionally make big pass plays than to have a guy (Lee) who's probably going to complete about 45 percent of his passes against stronger defenses if he's lucky.

I like Les Miles as a coach, and last night doesn't change that. But if there's one area in which he needs to improve it's recruiting better QB prospects. He's been solid at building the team otherwise, but QB has been a glaring weakness since Saban left. And it's no surprise that Alabama's QBs have consistently outplayed ours over the past four or five years.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:09 PM

Just a question from his point of view...Jefferson was stinking up the joint last night. If you are Lee, you have to think that you can do at least that well...heck, he had a shorter leash in the first matchup than Jefferson had last night.

But I do agree that both are pretty substandard QBs. Perhaps it is more amazing that LSU got that far with that two-headed monster at QB...but, yeah, the blame does ultimately lie at Miles' feet...

Old 01-10-2012, 03:14 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,903,342 times
Quote:
Perhaps it is more amazing that LSU got that far with that two-headed monster at QB...but, yeah, the blame does ultimately lie at Miles' feet...

True... But it never reared its ugly head until they played Bama in both meetings. So maybe it speaks to Bama's Defense.

Having said that... Georgia seem to bottle up that offense too. I think their OC has a lot to do with their ineptitude though. Neither guy has gotten better in 4 years. That's coaching...

Old 01-10-2012, 03:20 PM

Right.

But they never really attacked Alabama last night. I think some of that is due to the fact of the ineptitude at QB. I think that was coaching as well.

If you are facing a good defense, and you dont really even try, what do you expect the result to be? They never tried to really stretch the field--sometimes you have to take a shot or two...

Old 01-10-2012, 04:11 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,903,342 times
Quote:
Right.

But they never really attacked Alabama last night. I think some of that is due to the fact of the ineptitude at QB. I think that was coaching as well.

If you are facing a good defense, and you dont really even try, what do you expect the result to be? They never tried to really stretch the field--sometimes you have to take a shot or two...

Yea I couldnt figure that out either...

I mean just throw the damn ball up. You have fast guys and a QB with a strong arm. Hell he could have ran back 10 years and just chucked one up. LOL...

Actually talking about this now... makes me wonder if we all got played. And SEC games are rigged somehow. Like LSU took a dive or something... not that the players did but maybe the coaches and admins. How else do you explain Lee not playing and the team not taking any shots down field.

I dont really believe that happened but its fun to wonder... WWE for real!!!

Old 01-10-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Right.

I think their game plan was to try and emulate what Georgia Southern did in running their option. GS used the option against Alabama when Alabama was caught napping a few times and it worked. And considering how awfully LSU was at going vertical in the first game, I can't say I blame the strategy. The strategy going into the game made since, especially when you figured that Jordan and LSU did have at least some success running the ball in that first game.

I don't fault the strategy; I fault the failure to implement a plan B. It was obvious when the sideline reporter was asking Les Miles the question at halftime about what they planned to do different that Miles had not one f*cking clue. They just didn't know. They were not prepared to overcome that ineptitude in the ground game. Perhaps it was just too profound, and LSU had been too successful running the ball for Miles to even consider it. Even so, there's no excusing it. That was just painful to watch.

But give Bama and their coaching staff credit. They just corrected their mistakes. They executed their game plan almost flawlessly. Only one penalty - in the final 3 minutes of the game. They prepared for a familiar opponent that they had almost beaten the first time, and just went out and executed last night. The goose-egg was a surprise, but the Bama victory and even the dominance of their line wasn't so much.

Alabama just doesn't get the credit it deserves. People say SEC country likes the deck stacked, and I'm sure some do, but I know a lot of others - myself included - would love nothing more than to put LSU, Arkansas, and Alabama up against the top three of any of the other conferences in a round robin and see what happens. I think a lot of the smack would disappear pretty quickly. It's easy to run the mouth when you play a Wisconsin team that can't stop the run or a Stanford team that can't stop the pass. Would love to see how Oregon runs its short passing and running game when Alabama allows absolutely no one to run between tackles and linebackers pursue everyone else step for step. Wonder how good Andrew Luck or Weeden would be once Alabama's front line starts overpowering their lines and shoving their guards and tackles into their three step drops. My guess is, the smack would stop pretty quick.

Nah, more likely, they'd end up with dislocated shoulders, end up leaving the game, and their fans would be insisting that they would have won 'if only' several years later (sound familiar?).

Old 01-10-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Yea I couldnt figure that out either...

I mean just throw the damn ball up. You have fast guys and a QB with a strong arm. Hell he could have ran back 10 years and just chucked one up. LOL...

Actually talking about this now... makes me wonder if we all got played. And SEC games are rigged somehow. Like LSU took a dive or something... not that the players did but maybe the coaches and admins. How else do you explain Lee not playing and the team not taking any shots down field.

I dont really believe that happened but its fun to wonder... WWE for real!!!
LSU didn't take a dove. I want to believe it happened, but it didn't. They just got the sh*t kicked out of 'em.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:58 PM

Yeah, but even when you try to run the ball, you take shots down the field every now and then. LSU ran into a hole and cowered (Well, they didnt run anywhere last night).

Not trying ti take anything from Bama, but there was a whole middle of the field that was never attacked, and that is inexcusable--I dont care if they were facing the 2000 Ravens.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:48 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,823,560 times
They knew that one pick-6 would end the game and that Alabama is known for doing that. They did not want to give them that chance to do it even once. They played to keep the game close so that it would come down to field goals again a strategy that would favor LSU had Alabama's defense not been on point and other worldly like it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football