Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 03:47 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,851,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Let's change that to "quit firing their coaches and replacing them with Saban assistants."

Probably is the best top to bottom. I mean, yes.. You have to bring up Vandy. Tennessee has been a joke for about 10 years now.. Missouri will jump up every now and again (And, I don't expect much improvement from them with Kelly Bryant)

The SEC generally has 4 to 6 top 25 teams. The ACC is normally 3 to 5. It was a very down year for the ACC this year. Louisville just tanked. I don't think anyone expected that. Thought they'd probably be 6-6 or somewhere in that area.

NC State didn't have an overly great year. A bowl win against A&M would have gone a long way.

Boston College is coming on. Florida State.. I don't know. That may be a long term project.

The Coastal is even worse. I mean, the ACC championship had Pitt at 7-5 winning the Coastal. Miami kinda fell apart. They were expected to run away with the Coastal. Virginia Tech seems to be turning things around.

I seem to remember a couple of years ago, the ACC was 4-1 or so against the SEC in bowls.

I actually had first said exactly what you said: "quit firing their coaches and hiring Saban assisstants" but I took it out before I posted because I was afraid it would just flare up yet another argument. lol But yeah, exactly and how in the world Saban stays at the top even though he is constantly having to replace coaching staff every year is beyond me. That by itself is amazing.

I also believe the SEC is the best from top to bottom. Do they have a few teams that such...yes but what conference doesn't? Vandy is better than a lot of people outside the conference give them credit for, they just happen to have to play some of the best teams in the nation every single year. They are sort of like Notre Dame in that they have very high accademic standards their players have to meet just to be accepted into the school so they can't recruit just anyone and get the top level players.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 07:52 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,068,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Why not just look at actual results from bowl games played?

ACC, Big 10(16), and the Big 12(10) had winning records. The SEC was even at 6-6.
Because bowl games are so important? All that matters are the playoffs and the championship. Alabama will be just as strong next year.

You’d think that I’d take great pleasure in Bama’s beatdown but, nope. I’ve got too many friends and family who actually graduated from Alabama and there’s no joy in their pain. Sure, they put on a brave face but it was tough for them. My cousin said his youngest cried...wrapped up in a Bama quilt that this Auburn’s graduate’s wife made for him for Christmas.

My Tigers have to play Oregon, aTm, LSU, Georgia and Alabama among others this year. Hopefully, it’ll be a better year than 2018 for both teams from Alabama!

Old 01-10-2019, 01:27 PM

12,959 posts, read 13,379,778 times
It’s very telling when head to head bowl games between conferences are played.
And that’s with the SEC manipulating most of their lower tier bowl selections.

There is more parity than any SEC fan will admit.

Man up and play 9 conference games. For gawd’s sake, aTm ran away to the SEC 7 years ago and has not played Georgia yet! What a joke!

Old 01-10-2019, 01:50 PM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 1 day ago)

5,735 posts, read 4,722,420 times
I'd like to see the SEC play 10 conference games. And only one FCS.

I like the one FCS if it is an in-state school that gives them a chance at a big pay day. But Charleston Southern playing Bama and FSU is crap.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:18 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,900,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I actually had first said exactly what you said: "quit firing their coaches and hiring Saban assisstants" but I took it out before I posted because I was afraid it would just flare up yet another argument. lol But yeah, exactly and how in the world Saban stays at the top even though he is constantly having to replace coaching staff every year is beyond me. That by itself is amazing.

I also believe the SEC is the best from top to bottom. Do they have a few teams that such...yes but what conference doesn't? Vandy is better than a lot of people outside the conference give them credit for, they just happen to have to play some of the best teams in the nation every single year. They are sort of like Notre Dame in that they have very high accademic standards their players have to meet just to be accepted into the school so they can't recruit just anyone and get the top level players.
I honestly believe the Big 10 is the best from top to bottom. OSU and Michigan are as good conference elites as Clemson or Alabama/Georgia, but on any given year OSU, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Michigan State (with Northwestern becoming consistently solid), I don't think any other conference has a solid 5 or 6 like that. Even a lower tiered Maryland team (who I still have a problem with being a Big 10 team) beat an upper tier Texas Big 12 team two years in a row. The mid tier teams like Minnesota, Indiana, and Purdue are not easy outs. Rutgers is the only truly bad team in the conference.

My overall rankings are: Big 10, SEC, ACC, Pac 12, Big 12

Old 01-11-2019, 08:28 PM

Did you not watch the Michigan-Florida game? Happens to Michigan every damn time. Michigan is all hype.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I honestly believe the Big 10 is the best from top to bottom. OSU and Michigan are not as good conference elites as Clemson or Alabama/Georgia, but on any given year OSU, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Michigan State (with Northwestern becoming consistently solid), I don't think any other conference has a solid 5 or 6 like that. Even a lower tiered Maryland team (who I still have a problem with being a Big 10 team) beat an upper tier Texas Big 12 team two years in a row. The mid tier teams like Minnesota, Indiana, and Purdue are not easy outs. Rutgers is the only truly bad team in the conference.

My overall rankings are: Big 10, SEC, ACC, Pac 12, Big 12
Meant to say "not" as good....

Old 01-11-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Meant to say "not" as good....

I think OSU is as good as any program. We'll have to see where they go with the new coach.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post

I think OSU is as good as any program. We'll have to see where they go with the new coach.
OSU has been a force, and it will be interesting to see see how they fare without Urban Meyer and Dwayne Haskins headed to the NFL.

Michigan as a top conference team has been a disappointment inside and outside of the Big 10, but from top to bottom, I still think the big 10 edges out the SEC. Last year, the Big 10 was 7-1 in bowls with only Michigan losing:

Iowa def Boston College
Purdue def Arizona
MSU def Washington State
Northwestern def Kentucky
OSU def USC
Penn State def Washington
Wisconsin def Miami

Michigan lose South Carolina

The Big 10 was 5-4 this year, but two of the losses were really close, and OSU won the Rose Bowl. I just think the Big 10 top to bottom is the best, although it is very close with the SEC. You could really make a case for either conference.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:42 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,437,053 times
I subscribed but without the email notification

Need to manage my inbox

Roll Tide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football