Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 09:12 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,514,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Not really. Most of us just laugh at most SEC fans. They are like children that grab and say, "Mine, Mine, Mine!" If one's team hasn't done squat for years or never has, you have no business gloming on to other teams. If you do, you're pathetic. It is really that simply. Now you are a Gator fan, so you have every right to tout your history and program, but Miss State, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Vandy, Arky fans should keep their traps shut. Tenn is a has been, Auburn fans will live on their one year of glory and USCe and UGA are not all that great to claim they are elite programs. Now, there are certainly legit teams in the SEC- Bama, LSU, Florida are the three that no one can argue about. They have had dominant years and are generally consistent winners. However, the rest have had limited success or haven't done anything for many years, or beat on cupcakes inflating their record and then the media claims how powerful they are.

I have mad respect for those three programs And i think most people do to, but the rest are the result of a weak schedule and the media most years.
^^^
Amen to the bolded. The SEC hype machine: It sells and it's a money-maker.

The SEC brass/marketing in conjunction with the media has successfully created a culture within its football conference that essentially creates a mass of bandwagon fans (this is how we Southwesterners perceive it over here in the Big 12 South at least).

For instance, if Florida (or Bama/LSU and every other SEC team) loses it can simply claim it's part of the SEC and save face for being in the toughest conference. That's some bandwagon action if I've ever seen it. And, least our young fellars on here forget, the SEC's successive dominance IS a new phenomenon.

The reality is that the SEC is very top heavy and has a host of bottom feeders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 07:30 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,527,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
^^^

The SEC brass/marketing in conjunction with the media has successfully created a culture within its football conference that essentially creates a mass of bandwagon fans (this is how we Southwesterners perceive it over here in the Big 12 South at least).

For instance, if Florida (or Bama/LSU and every other SEC team) loses it can simply claim it's part of the SEC and save face for being in the toughest conference. That's some bandwagon action if I've ever seen it. And, least our young fellars on here forget, the SEC's successive dominance IS a new phenomenon.

You can claim many things about the SEC but along with the Big Ten they have the most loyal an dedicated fans. Only two teams in Big 12 can claim that.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:32 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,360,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
^^^

Pretty smart for a Sooner.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:11 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Here's the perspective of a non-college football fan:

Notre Dame is by far the most overrated and annoying team in football history. They are the equivalent of the Indiana Hoosiers in college basketball. The whole world is supposed to bow down to them because of things they accomplished a long time ago.

The Big 10 is the most overrated and annoying conference in football history. They are the equivalent of the ACC in college basketball. Michigan and Ohio State are analogous to UNC and Duke (but they've had only a fraction of the success of UNC and Duke over the last two decades). The rest of the teams are similar to Maryland, NC State and Wake Forest, which have had some success, but have few if any trophies to show for it. Big 10 football and ACC basketball get shoved down our throats like no other so fans of the teams in these conferences have absolutely no right to complain about bias.

The Big 12 isn't so bad...though I feel like I grew up hearing a lot of hype about Texas even though they failed to win a championship for most of my life.

Pac 12 (I think it was the Pac 8 at one point, wasn't it?) is not as weak as the ACC, but it's close. Who was the last Pac-12 team to win the NC? At least the ACC has had a bright spot in Florida State, a somewhat bright spot in Clemson, and a newly added bright spot in Miami (which I'm sure will rebound once they can assemble the right team of thugs and hooligans).

The ACC is probably the weakest major conference. Yeah, they added Miami, BC and VT, but I still think of painfully boring games between Wake Forest and Maryland when I think of ACC football. Maryland will easily be the weakest team in the Big 10 next year.

The SEC produces the best athletes hands down. My only hate on them is the fact these have historically been the most super-racist institutions ever that that now profit on black talent. Back in the old days, black athletes would head north or west for school. But now that LSU, Alabama, Georgia, Florida and South Carolina can keep the bulk of their players in state, it might be a wrap for the other conferences. I think the Big 10 or Big 12 may pick off a title every now and again, but I see the SEC staying ahead of the pack for a while, at least until other conferences can start attracting talent in the Deep South.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:50 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,897,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Here's the perspective of a non-college football fan:

Notre Dame is by far the most overrated and annoying team in football history. They are the equivalent of the Indiana Hoosiers in college basketball. The whole world is supposed to bow down to them because of things they accomplished a long time ago.

The Big 10 is the most overrated and annoying conference in football history. They are the equivalent of the ACC in college basketball. Michigan and Ohio State are analogous to UNC and Duke (but they've had only a fraction of the success of UNC and Duke over the last two decades). The rest of the teams are similar to Maryland, NC State and Wake Forest, which have had some success, but have few if any trophies to show for it. Big 10 football and ACC basketball get shoved down our throats like no other so fans of the teams in these conferences have absolutely no right to complain about bias.

The Big 12 isn't so bad...though I feel like I grew up hearing a lot of hype about Texas even though they failed to win a championship for most of my life.

Pac 12 (I think it was the Pac 8 at one point, wasn't it?) is not as weak as the ACC, but it's close. Who was the last Pac-12 team to win the NC? At least the ACC has had a bright spot in Florida State, a somewhat bright spot in Clemson, and a newly added bright spot in Miami (which I'm sure will rebound once they can assemble the right team of thugs and hooligans).

The ACC is probably the weakest major conference. Yeah, they added Miami, BC and VT, but I still think of painfully boring games between Wake Forest and Maryland when I think of ACC football. Maryland will easily be the weakest team in the Big 10 next year.

The SEC produces the best athletes hands down. My only hate on them is the fact these have historically been the most super-racist institutions ever that that now profit on black talent. Back in the old days, black athletes would head north or west for school. But now that LSU, Alabama, Georgia, Florida and South Carolina can keep the bulk of their players in state, it might be a wrap for the other conferences. I think the Big 10 or Big 12 may pick off a title every now and again, but I see the SEC staying ahead of the pack for a while, at least until other conferences can start attracting talent in the Deep South.

I'll have to rep you for this observation... I been trying to say this for a while around here.

Good post!

Old 01-02-2013, 04:04 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,316,552 times
The South has changed, but people from states not in the South have a problem with it. Also, if you studied civil rights, you would know that black athletes didn't have it easy at many Northern institutions anyway. Why would a black athlete not want to play for his home state or at least one nearby? It makes sense to black close to home.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Also, if you studied civil rights, you would know that black athletes didn't have it easy at many Northern institutions anyway.
Didn't have it easy? Blacks weren't even allowed to attend schools like Georgia, Ole Miss, Alabama, LSU, South Carolina and Arkansas in the 1950s.

Quote:
Why would a black athlete not want to play for his home state or at least one nearby? It makes sense to black close to home.
Individual people can do what they want. I personally would not play for a school that waves around Confederate battle flags and riots after the re-election of our nation's first and only black president. But that's just me.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:41 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,316,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Didn't have it easy? Blacks weren't even allowed to attend schools like Georgia, Ole Miss, Alabama, LSU, South Carolina and Arkansas in the 1950s.

Individual people can do what they want. I personally would not play for a school that waves around Confederate battle flags and riots after the re-election of our nation's first and only black president. But that's just me.

No school in the South authorized the waving of Confederate flags. Ignorant individuals exist everywhere not just in the South. Have you ever read Morgan Freeman's reason for moving back to his home state of MS? You should read it, if you haven't. Also, if you are not a football fan why are you even on this thread, except to get us off track and stir up junk. I refuse to talk to you about this anymore, because this thread is not about racism.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
No school in the South authorized the waving of Confederate flags. Ignorant individuals exist everywhere not just in the South.
I don't care whether the President of Ole Miss issued a directive to students to waive confederate flags or not. The point is that it happened. Just like hazing happens even though there's no official written policy promulgated by the national headquarters of fraternities.

Quote:
Also, if you are not a football fan why are you even on this thread, except to get us off track and stir up junk. I refuse to talk to you about this anymore, because this thread is not about racism.
Um, my entire post was about football. I made a half-sentence remark about racism, which you elected to respond to. If you wanted to talk about purely football, then you should not have responded to that portion of my post. And when you respond to something in one of my posts, don't act haughty and dismissive when I decide to respond in kind.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:36 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,806,078 times
Speaking of an SEC team, is anyone watching the Sugar Bowl right now? Thousands of empty seats. Not a good look for the BCS and college football to have one their marquee bowl games not even come close to selling out. I'd imagine not even 60,000 tickets were sold. They just announced that Florida only sold 7,000 of their 17,500 allotment. Hardly a surprise when one could go on Stub Hub and pay less than half the price.

The Orange Bowl also had a good number of empty seats last night. Wondering if the Fiesta will fare better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football