Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 12:07 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,079,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Not arguing with your post at all. Keep in mind, the comment is that the ELITE of FCS CAN beat (not will beat) the majority of FBS teams. We're not talking the better FCS teams, but the elite FCS teams. My U. of SD Coyotes knocked off Minnesota a couple years ago and USD was only a .500 team and definitely nowhere near the elite status in FCS (in fact that was their last year as a D-2 team).

You're not still hurting from that Appalachian State game are you?
LOL

No hurt from the App State team, hard to have any pain from that game after the 3-8 season the next year. They were a very talented spread team. Michigan had struggled against spread teams and got walloped by Oregon the next weekend. App State deserved to win and the Michigan head coach was literally talking about what back ups to put in for playing time...if you don't respect your opponent you deserve to lose.

App State was a great team 3 straight D1AA titles. I actually told coworkers before the game that App State was better than many BigTen teams and could win.

I think that is more of an aberration though.

Your South Dakota State team beat a Minnesota team that was awful in BigTen games that year.

That is my main point, you do not see FCS beating quality FBS teams on a routine basis...and Kansas State might not be a quality team this year.

I do think that the FCS teams are getting better and catching up with the spread and strategies, with the growing population of football recruits, with more recruiting services to help colleges find players, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 03:42 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,378,896 times
Is South Dakota State a decent team? They come to Lincoln Sept 21. Wife and her sister are going. After Saturday's performance,they're not sure that's a winnable game for Nebraska.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:03 PM

4,863 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Is South Dakota State a decent team? They come to Lincoln Sept 21. Wife and her sister are going. After Saturday's performance,they're not sure that's a winnable game for Nebraska.
I'm a USD guy, not an SD State fan, but rest assured, the Jackrabbits are a legitimate threat. Only 2 years ago they were only a couple of breaks away from beating the Cornhuskers at Lincoln. They have the kind of running game that could control the clock enough to keep that high powered Nebraska offense on the sidelines. I really don't see SD State stopping Nebraska's offense if they get too many opportunities. That said, I don't think Nebraska's defense will totally disrupt SD State's offense.

I don't think I could stand to listen to my friends that are Bunnies fans if they beat Nebraska.

GO BIG RED!!!!!

Old 09-02-2013, 10:11 PM

4,863 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
LOL

No hurt from the App State team, hard to have any pain from that game after the 3-8 season the next year. They were a very talented spread team. Michigan had struggled against spread teams and got walloped by Oregon the next weekend. App State deserved to win and the Michigan head coach was literally talking about what back ups to put in for playing time...if you don't respect your opponent you deserve to lose.

App State was a great team 3 straight D1AA titles. I actually told coworkers before the game that App State was better than many BigTen teams and could win.

I think that is more of an aberration though.

Your South Dakota State team beat a Minnesota team that was awful in BigTen games that year.

That is my main point, you do not see FCS beating quality FBS teams on a routine basis...and Kansas State might not be a quality team this year.

I do think that the FCS teams are getting better and catching up with the spread and strategies, with the growing population of football recruits, with more recruiting services to help colleges find players, etc...
First of all, it was The University of South Dakota, not South Dakota State. Yes, I know Minnesota was a bad Big 10 team that year, but they did beat Iowa which gave me some ammunition with the many Iowa fans around here. Also note that USD was a D-II .500 team at the time. Remember that the phrase is that the elite FCS can beat the majority of FBS teams.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
First of all, it was The University of South Dakota, not South Dakota State. Yes, I know Minnesota was a bad Big 10 team that year, but they did beat Iowa which gave me some ammunition with the many Iowa fans around here. Also note that USD was a D-II .500 team at the time. Remember that the phrase is that the elite FCS can beat the majority of FBS teams.
Don't really disagree..half the FBS teams look like Kent State.

Speaking of your comparison. Sort of like Purdue fans mocking Michigan for losing to Appalachian State, even after Michigan blew out Purdue 48-21* later that same year. Wouldn't Appalachian State have pretty good odds against Purdue in 2007?

*Purdue scored 2 TDs in the final 47 seconds against back ups to make it look closer.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:29 AM

372 posts, read 1,043,100 times
The 07' App State team didn't exactly walk through the FCS either. They lost 2 conference games that year (Wofford, Georgia Southern) and ended up sharing their conference title with Wofford.

This year's South Dakota State team is loaded enough that anything less than win at Nebraska will be a disappointment. Not that they'll be favored, but moral victories won't cut it this year. Nebraska ain't Alabama.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:50 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,378,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undfan View Post
The 07' App State team didn't exactly walk through the FCS either. They lost 2 conference games that year (Wofford, Georgia Southern) and ended up sharing their conference title with Wofford.

This year's South Dakota State team is loaded enough that anything less than win at Nebraska will be a disappointment. Not that they'll be favored, but moral victories won't cut it this year. Nebraska ain't Alabama.
If Nebraska loses that game, I imagine that Pelini will be on the hot seat. I can't imagine any Husker fan finding a loss to a FCS team acceptable.

Isn't App St making the jump to FBS?

Old 09-08-2013, 08:27 AM

372 posts, read 1,043,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
If Nebraska loses that game, I imagine that Pelini will be on the hot seat. I can't imagine any Husker fan finding a loss to a FCS team acceptable.

Isn't App St making the jump to FBS?
Yep, two year transition period starts this year. They join the Sun Belt conference next year.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:25 PM

I would like to admit that I was partially wrong. I knew the FCS had closed the gap a bit, but after looking over more results from the past two weeks...the FCS has closed the gap even further than I has originally thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football