Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2017, 11:19 AM

3,507 posts, read 765,449 times

Advertisements

ok then .. there you have it .. ohio state is in .. bama is out ... settled .

Old 12-13-2017, 01:12 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
That's the opinion of many, but consider that Ohio State was playing with an injured QB in the latter part of its season. Fox analyst Skip Bayless called the selection of Alabama over Ohio State "absurd."

https://ohiostate.247sports.com/Arti...surd-111688156

Ohio State also has a new linebacker coach who is learning on the job, and he apparently learned much from Oklahoma and Iowa losses. Ohio State had to replace almost its entire defensive backfield, and it has improved greatly over the course of the season.

Ohio State, based on recruiting rankings, is one of the top teams in the U.S.

Having significantly upgraded its offensive coordinator and QB coaching positions, Ohio State conceivably could be a much tougher bowl opponent this year.

The fact is that Alabama relatively speaking defeated nobody significant, unlike Ohio State.

And none of this excuses the fact that the CFP committee handed Auburn a relative patsy opponent in the Peach Bowl. Why, except to engage in a major bit of CYA that the national media didn't even question.

Surely Auburn, with much superior recruiting rankings, could have handily defeated Wisconsin. OR NOT.

Again Alabama was rewarded for a weak schedule, even though it had no conference championship.

As mentioned earlier, Auburn blew it by losing to LSU.
They have no one to blame but themselves up 20-0.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:11 PM

3,507 posts, read 765,449 times
you dont like having 2 sec teams in the final 4 would you happier with 3 in the final 8

Old 12-13-2017, 07:14 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
In my view, UGA had the weakest resume of the 4 teams in the field and they got lucky Kerryon Johnson was hurt. The SEC East was terrible this year and they were blown out by the best SEC team they played. UGA got to play the 3 weakest SEC teams on the road, Vandy, Tenn and Florida.

So UGA's best wins were a 1 point win over an overrated ND team, a blowout against an overrated Miss State at home, and Auburn with injured Johnson in the SEC title game.

A case could be made OSU deserved the bid instead of UGA.

Now watch UGA win it all. lol

Old 12-14-2017, 04:39 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,804,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Patently false, and yet many make this argument that Ohio State's argument was the same as Alabama's this year.

Last year Ohio State lost only a very close game on the road to Penn State on a fluke play in horrid playing conditions.

Last year, Ohio State had signature wins, including a dominating victory over Oklahoma on the road. Alabama has no comparable victories this year.

Last year, Ohio State's wins were far superior to those of Penn State.

This year, Alabama's wins are far inferior to those of Ohio State.
The OSU 2016 argument same as Alabama 2017 argument is a lazy analysis. The real travesty is not OSU being left out this year I'm actually PISSED that OSU 2015 was left out as they have a better argument than Alabama this season. If you applied the Committee test this season to OSU 15 the are in- and with the talent that team had that was the missed opportunity

Aside from the one loss team getting in over a two loss conference champ there is no comparison.

Now I can say even as OSU fan, we have no business going in over Georgia as one poster mentioned. I am not going to advocate for a 6 or even an 8 team playoff. It's fine, just set paremeters and stick to them.

This was about Bama.

Moving forward, I have no read on the committee and quite honestly if you are a fan of team that is in competition each year for the playoff you can't rest easy on selection Sunday.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:22 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,387,599 times
All right, y'all. Time for the first bowl game picks. Here are the games.

Troy vs. North Texas
Western Kentucky vs. Georgia State
Boise State vs. Oregon
Marshall vs. Colorado State
Mid Tenn State vs. Arkansas State
Akron vs. (25) Florida Atlantic
Louisiana Tech vs. SMU
Temple vs. FIU
UAB vs. Ohio
Central Michigan vs. Wyoming
Texas Tech vs. (15) USF
(21) San Diego State vs. Army
Appalachian State vs. Toledo
Fresno State vs. Houston

Pick Overall Record: 223-111
Pick Record Last Week: 7-2

Here are my picks.
Troy vs. North Texas (I'm gonna give Troy the edge here...)
Western Kentucky vs. Georgia State (Don't know here.)
Boise State vs. Oregon (Even though Royce is sitting out, i think Oregon wins.)
Marshall vs. Colorado State (I'll take the Rams.)
Mid Tenn State vs. Arkansas State
Akron vs. Florida Atlantic (The team i've been the most impressed with this year.)
Louisiana Tech vs. SMU (Giving the edge to the Mustangs.)
Temple vs. FIU (Temple looked bad at the beginning, but they've gotten better...and while FIU's better, i'll take the Owls.)
UAB vs. Ohio (Blazers in a close one.)
Central Michigan vs. Wyoming (Didn't know here.)
Texas Tech vs. USF (Not that impressed with Tech this year...i think USF runs over them.)
San Diego State vs. Army (Tossup.)
Appalachian State vs. Toledo (I think the Rockets win.)
Fresno State vs. Houston (I believe Major will be calling Houston's offense for this...that's not good.)

Old 12-14-2017, 08:52 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
UGA actually played UF on a neutral field as they do every year, and it was probably majority UGA fans this year.

I picked UGA to make playoffs this year prior to the season, because their schedule was so easy. And UF and Tenn and Vandy and G Tech turned out worse than I thought prior to the season.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:35 AM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
The OSU 2016 argument same as Alabama 2017 argument is a lazy analysis. The real travesty is not OSU being left out this year I'm actually PISSED that OSU 2015 was left out as they have a better argument than Alabama this season. If you applied the Committee test this season to OSU 15 the are in- and with the talent that team had that was the missed opportunity
Huh? Now that one.. Who should have been left out there?

There can be no argument that Clemson or Alabama should have been left out. You want to make that argument, have it with Don Quixote.

Michigan State defeated OSU head to head and won the conference, so there's no argument there in my mind. But on top of that, they had 4 top 12 wins and their single loss was by one point. OSU only beat one ranked team that year

The only possible argument would be Oklahoma they should have replaced, and OU had 5 top 25 wins with 3 top 11 wins. Their single loss was by a TD. No comparison there to me.

This year, and last year, there was at least similar competition for the 4 spot. But there was a much wider difference between #4 and further down in 2015. There was really no competition there. to my eye test, I think Alabama was the right choice this year, again, simply due to the blowout loss to Iowa. If that had been a 3 to 7 point loss, I would probably agree with you that Ohio State gets in. But.. It was a 31 point loss. They don't lose to Oklahoma and still have that 31 point loss to Iowa.. Then there's more of an argument to be made. Not saying I'd automatically agree that they get in over Alabama, but I'm not going to waste time thinking about it, because.. They DID lose to Oklahoma.

There were 4 CLEARLY better teams in 2015. This year.. I agree that OSU had an argument.. For me, that loss to Iowa is the difference maker. Just as last year, Penn State had an argument. They beat OSU head to head, lost to #4 and to a team that also beat the eventual national champions.. Won their conference.. But.. Again, I think that 49-10 loss was the turning point. Had that been a 3 point loss.. I might have given it to Penn State, though OSU did have a better overall resume. So, I can't say that with certainty, but head-to-head is one of the biggest factors to me. Another of those situations where it didn't happen, so.. Not really putting too much thought into it.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:35 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
...There can be no argument that Clemson or Alabama should have been left out...
What?????

Old 12-15-2017, 03:14 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
What?????
Remember that we're talking about 2015 here.

Quote:
There can be no argument
Which means that noone can make the argument

Quote:
That Clemson or Alabama should have been left out
That Clemson or Alabama should have been left out.

Anyone who says that Clemson or Alabama should have been left out of the playoffs in 2015.. Can go argue with themselves, because they are just out of their damn minds. The rest of it was the #3 and #4 teams in 2015.. Which were just so much better than the #5 team. EastCoastBias said he was pissed that Ohio State was left out in '15. Fine.. Who should they have replaced? Cannot possibly say Clemson or Alabama, and Michigan State beat them head to head.. And Oklahoma had a far better resume.. So.. Who does he think should have been left out to let Ohio State in? In 2016 and 2017.. The #4 and #5 teams have been.. Pretty close. But there was a huge gulf in 2015 between #4 and #5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football