Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2018, 07:06 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Yep, Bama and Ga. play grown man football.
Boring to video game fans but a delight to football purists.
I think Ohio State and most teams in the BIG10 are just as physical as Ala, Ga and most SEC teams... as is Oklahoma.. I think the interest might lie in the styles of these teams. Both Ala and Ga play a more traditional,run 1st oriented offense.. with Ga having explosive RBs that can make it appear to be wide open.. ala Rose Bowl game. I think Ohio State plays a similar style as well so I am not sure that Ohio State vs Ala or Ga would be any more appealing other than regional appeal... the styles are very similar... now Oklahoma opens it up a lot more and looked a lot like Oregon from a few years ago during the 1st half of the Rose Bowl. That certainly is exciting, especially when pitted vs a team like Ga who runs a more traditional offense...

Personally, i don't have to see a 54-48 double overtime thriller to enjoy a football game. I get just as much enjoyment from a 14-10 slug fest but perhaps i am not the norm. That being said, i do expect Ga/Al to be somewhere in between a low scoring slug fest and a high scoring barn burner...

Old 01-04-2018, 12:40 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,896,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Hmmm.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/12/5/1...en-league-pass

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybr.../#70cb03f62313

There is no iron law that says ratings go down each and every year. Viewership can decline Y-o-Y when you have a boring matchup (Spurs vs Cavs in '07) and rise substantially Y-o-Y when you have an interesting matchup (Warriors/Cavs, Cubs/Indians).
I think you missed my point... I was not saying ratings decline YoY (cute acronym). My point was that lower ratings are not related to the teams being SEC or regional teams playing which was originally pointed out. Ratings have a myriad of variables that need to be considered.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:11 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I think you missed my point... I was not saying ratings decline YoY (cute acronym). My point was that lower ratings are not related to the teams being SEC or regional teams playing which was originally pointed out. Ratings have a myriad of variables that need to be considered.
Thanks, but I can't take credit for it. YoY is a commonly used abbreviation.

https://www.thebalance.com/year-over...nition-3305970

I believe lower ratings are definitely the result of a near regional hegemony in college football. I think the only other variable of any importance is the caliber of the program--a blue blood like Texas will always boost viewership because of tradition and the fact that Texas alone has a larger population than all of the remaining Deep South states combined.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Thanks, but I can't take credit for it. YoY is a commonly used abbreviation.

https://www.thebalance.com/year-over...nition-3305970

I believe lower ratings are definitely the result of a near regional hegemony in college football. I think the only other variable of any importance is the caliber of the program--a blue blood like Texas will always boost viewership because of tradition and the fact that Texas alone has a larger population than all of the remaining Deep South states combined.
But Alabama is a blue blood...

Old 01-04-2018, 06:37 PM

3,507 posts, read 766,278 times
when you are from a state that has no college sports programs to pull for you tend to pull against any other state that does ...

Old 01-05-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
when you are from a state that has no college sports programs to pull for you tend to pull against any other state that does ...
wait...

Doesn't that mean you would pull against everyone?

Old 01-06-2018, 01:23 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
For the first time since 2012, the national championship will feature two teams from one conference (the SEC), and analysts are predicting low ratings because of it. And if viewership is bad enough, as some experts are speculating, the College Football Playoff could face pressure to expand from four teams to eight.

CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodd quotes multiple TV consultants, including former CBS president Neal Pilson, as projecting low ratings for the Alabama-Georgia title game on ESPN, relative to past matchups.

“I think, from a television point of view, any sports executive would tell you he would prefer a team from the different part of the country,” said Pilson, now a longtime sports media consultant.

“The best would be a Big Ten team in terms of the size of market.”

One consultant told Dodd he thinks the game could be the lowest-rated College Football Playoff championship yet. The last time two SEC teams faced off in a college football title game, LSU and Alabama drew the third lowest rating of the BCS era, a result that, per CBS Sports, helped inspire the new College Football Playoff paradigm.
All-SEC Championship expected to draw low ratings, may accelerate push for 8-team playoff

Old 01-06-2018, 02:26 PM

3,507 posts, read 766,278 times
so instead of the top teams in country as proven on the gridiron we should have the top TV grossing teams in the playoffs .. of course it would be Ohio state and Notre Dame in the championship every year ..

Old 01-07-2018, 05:42 AM

43 posts, read 27,843 times
Not true at all. Top teams with the easiest conference and easiest schedule

Old 01-08-2018, 11:34 AM

You do realize that even if it's an 8 team playoff nothing would change as it will most likely still be 1 if not 2 SEC teams in the final. The additional round would have great ratings just like the early rounds of the NCAA... but after that it will normalize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football