Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2018, 11:05 AM

75 posts, read 57,891 times

Advertisements

I'll take Boston College who always has a tough defense and much improved offense this year. I'll go with Georgia Tech in the second game, they have the triple option which few teams outside of the ACC see each year. In the night cap I'll go with Cal who had a good win over Washington. Wilcox did a great job for the Badgers and has this Bears team on the upswing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 04:12 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,848,695 times
https://twitter.com/BroncoSportsFB/s...23431625625600

Looks like a lot of fans are pissed. I would be too if I had to travel that far on Christmas for a canceled game.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:27 PM

433 posts, read 287,434 times
Someone should be held accountable for this cancellation. It not only undermines college bowl games but it is a tremendous blow to those seniors and their families who are playing/viewing their last game. Imagine the money spent and wasted as well. This decision was pathetic. Someone should pay.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:37 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,694,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post
Someone should be held accountable for this cancellation. It not only undermines college bowl games but it is a tremendous blow to those seniors and their families who are playing/viewing their last game. Imagine the money spent and wasted as well. This decision was pathetic. Someone should pay.
What do you suggest? There are severe storms forecast through the night in Texas.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
What do you suggest? There are severe storms forecast through the night in Texas.
Waiting and then playing the game. It's actually quite simple. Let's say your son was a senior and playing his last game. You flew the family down, got hotel rooms, took work off and presto, it's cancelled.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:50 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,694,001 times
Quote:
Waiting and then playing the game. It's actually quite simple. Let's say your son was a senior and playing his last game. You flew the family down, got hotel rooms, took work off and presto, it's cancelled.
Waiting til when? And I bet they have flights back tomorrow, if not tonight. Fans, players, and TV crew.

The game not being played has no ramifications for anything. It's just another made up ESPN bowl game. All the people who worked the game, in every aspect, have something to do tomorrow. Including the TV crew probably moving on to another really important bowl game.

And it's the SERVPRO First Responder Bowl!! Seriously? You think that game is going to define a kid's life.

"After more than an hour since stoppage of play, and with review of the active lightning and thunderstorm cells still in the area of the Cotton Bowl, it was determined that the game should be called," Pete Derzis, ESPN senior vice president of ESPN Events and programming, said in a statement. "All parties were concerned about player safety first and foremost, and with that being the primary concern, as well as the fans in attendance, it was a unanimous decision to cancel the game."

Old 12-26-2018, 11:37 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
Quote:
Hence my "these bowl games are becoming more useless by the year" post from the previous page. Families, production & TV crew likely have flights back the next morning from the Cotton & Orange Bowls (the playoff bowls), but since those are the playoff games they'd wait 5 days to get those in and concluded.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
(12) Boise State vs. Boston College. The 2 running backs are going to be the best players on the field for either team, but I trust Boise more than I trust the Beagles.
Georgia Tech vs. Minnesota. In the NY Post bowl preview, they said something like in 2 games against option-type running QB teams the Gophers gave up over 800 combined yards. Yikes! Tech will run over, through, and around the Gophers.
Cal vs. TCU. TCU had a great first 3 weeks, cratered the next 7 weeks, and had a good final 4 weeks to rebound and get themselves to 6-6. The Bears actually have a better record but their schedule is soft. Best win is probably what, Washington, in a game they won scoring 12 points??
Duke vs. Temple. Duke wins academically and on the hardwood, but I'll take the Owls to salvage one on the gridiron.
Miami vs. Wisconsin. How ironic! Maybe the greatest sports team in professional history (if not the greatest, top 3 greatest) hosts the two most underachieving teams from 2018. At least I think Miami has beaten a few 7-5/6-6 teams, every time I saw Wisconsin play on TV (which was against a .500 or better team) they were losing.
Baylor vs. Vanderbilt. Vandy had a nice run at the end there to get bowl eligible, but I think Baylor takes this.
Auburn vs. Purdue. Taking into account the SEC's poor record in bowl games outside of the playoffs, plus I was more impressed with Purdue on the whole. Sure, Purdue had a couple of bad games: that Eastern Michigan loss, getting clobbered by Minnesota (which actually doesn't seem that bad since Wisconsin got clobbered by that same time in Madison a couple weeks later), while Auburn for most of the year was blah. It seemed like they peaked and than ultimately cratered after that week 1 game against Washington.
(20) Syracuse vs. (14) West Virginia. I'll take Syracuse no matter who is starting for them. There's no way that horrible West Virginia defense is going to be able to get enough stops to let Grier's backup win.
Iowa State vs. (11) Washington State. I look for the Coogs to bounce back from the Apple Cup disaster.
(19) Florida vs. (7) Michigan. Going against everything said: SEC's terrible non-playoff bowl record, Florida has never beaten Michigan, etc, but I think the loss to Ohio State is still lingering, and it lingers just enough for the Gators to jump out to a big first half lead and than hold on late.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
(12) Boise State vs. Boston College. The 2 running backs are going to be the best players on the field for either team, but I trust Boise more than I trust the Beagles.
Georgia Tech vs. Minnesota. In the NY Post bowl preview, they said something like in 2 games against option-type running QB teams the Gophers gave up over 800 combined yards. Yikes! Tech will run over, through, and around the Gophers.
Cal vs. TCU. TCU had a great first 3 weeks, cratered the next 7 weeks, and had a good final 4 weeks to rebound and get themselves to 6-6. The Bears actually have a better record but their schedule is soft. Best win is probably what, Washington, in a game they won scoring 12 points??
Quote:
Duke vs. Temple. Duke wins academically and on the hardwood, but I'll take the Owls to salvage one on the gridiron.
Miami vs. Wisconsin. How ironic! Maybe the greatest sports team in professional history (if not the greatest, top 3 greatest) hosts the two most underachieving teams from 2018. At least I think Miami has beaten a few 7-5/6-6 teams, every time I saw Wisconsin play on TV (which was against a .500 or better team) they were losing.
Baylor vs. Vanderbilt. Vandy had a nice run at the end there to get bowl eligible, but I think Baylor takes this.
Auburn vs. Purdue. Taking into account the SEC's poor record in bowl games outside of the playoffs, plus I was more impressed with Purdue on the whole. Sure, Purdue had a couple of bad games: that Eastern Michigan loss, getting clobbered by Minnesota (which actually doesn't seem that bad since Wisconsin got clobbered by that same time in Madison a couple weeks later), while Auburn for most of the year was blah. It seemed like they peaked and than ultimately cratered after that week 1 game against Washington.
(20) Syracuse vs. (14) West Virginia. I'll take Syracuse no matter who is starting for them. There's no way that horrible West Virginia defense is going to be able to get enough stops to let Grier's backup win.
Iowa State vs. (11) Washington State. I look for the Coogs to bounce back from the Apple Cup disaster.
(19) Florida vs. (7) Michigan. Going against everything said: SEC's terrible non-playoff bowl record, Florida has never beaten Michigan, etc, but I think the loss to Ohio State is still lingering, and it lingers just enough for the Gators to jump out to a big first half lead and than hold on late.
South Carolina vs. Virginia. Just a guess I'll ride with the SEC team here.
Arkansas State vs. Nevada. I'll take the Wolfpack.
(3) Clemson vs. (2) Notre Dame. All the naysayers out in full force "ND stinks, they'll get killed. Look what happened the last time they were in the playoff." ND uses that as motivation, plus with the suspension of Lawrence I think the Irish pull this one out.
(1) Alabama vs. (6) Oklahoma. I would have taken Alabama by 4 touchdowns even before Murray won the Heisman over Tua. After Murray won the Heisman over Tua I'll take Alabama by 6 or 7 touchdowns instead.

Old 12-29-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Waiting til when? And I bet they have flights back tomorrow, if not tonight. Fans, players, and TV crew.

The game not being played has no ramifications for anything. It's just another made up ESPN bowl game. All the people who worked the game, in every aspect, have something to do tomorrow. Including the TV crew probably moving on to another really important bowl game.

And it's the SERVPRO First Responder Bowl!! Seriously? You think that game is going to define a kid's life.

"After more than an hour since stoppage of play, and with review of the active lightning and thunderstorm cells still in the area of the Cotton Bowl, it was determined that the game should be called," Pete Derzis, ESPN senior vice president of ESPN Events and programming, said in a statement. "All parties were concerned about player safety first and foremost, and with that being the primary concern, as well as the fans in attendance, it was a unanimous decision to cancel the game."
The only ramifications are seniors very last game, ever, the parents who will never get to see their kids play again. And last but not least, these games need to be played otherwise, you set a terrible precedent which makes most all the other bowl games worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football