Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2019, 08:24 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
On the flip side, Ohio State QB Justin Fields has been playing with a knee injured in the Penn State game, with no certainty he'll be fully recovered by the play-off match-up with Clemson. So obviously stiff regular season competition can be a detriment.
I'm curious. Is there any empirical evidence showing that players are more likely to get injured against a Top 5 team than against an unranked team? I don't think Fields got hurt because the competition was so tough. He got hurt on a play that could have just as easily happened against an FCS school. Players get hurt against subpar competition all the time and even get hurt in practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZB7zMv8D1k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 08:24 PM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Noooo! I didn't hear about Addazio.. I so looked forward to that game every year.. Just to watch him get red faced and near a stroke on the sidelines.
May be tough to watch him, but at least he's not going away, he just became the new coach at Colorado State.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:26 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Kelly Bryant started the Syracuse game two years ago with a bad ankle sprain and then was knocked out cold with a concussion.

Trevor Lawrence was knocked out of game next year against Syracuse.

Clemson players and other ACC team players get hurt every year.

Your comment makes no sense.....it is a contact sport in every conference. It is not flag football outside of the Big 10.

A few years ago, Deshaun Watson tore his ACL or MCL and missed several games. He played against SC on the torn ligament and won the game. Watson had missed several games earlier in the season with a hurt finger.
Duh! The risk of injury increases greatly when the opposing team has pro caliber defensive players, as does Penn State.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:40 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
Quote:
Duh! The risk of injury increases greatly when the opposing team has pro caliber defensive players, as does Penn State.
You've provided no evidence of that and how many big 10 teams have pro caliber NFL players. Ohio State wins that conf most seasons

Old 12-12-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I call BS on this. You have no evidence to back this up.

There is absolutely no correlation between a team's rank and the probability of injury. Good teams aren't good because they are able to dish out more physical harm to other teams but because they are well-coached and have more skill all around. Florida State is a complete dumpster fire because their coaching sucks, their defense is undisciplined and often lined up incorrectly, their QB can't throw an accurate pass to save his life, etc. None of that means that one of their 5-star linebackers can't destroy your knee the same way OSU destroyed Willis McGahee's knee back in 2002. Those types of injuries happen in football and I've seen absolutely no evidence that it is more likely to happen against LSU or Alabama than it is against Syracuse or Boston College.

Where the possibility of injury becomes a real concern is when you have a clear mismatch between a top P5 team like Georgia and some small FCS school that is only in the game for a paycheck. The risk of injury is definitely something to worry about in those games because the players are nowhere near the same size. Georgia's kicker paralyzed a player from Southern University. This type of matchup should not even be allowed to happen. That's about as reckless as letting a welterweight and cruiserweight square up in the boxing ring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NcY3rEdkMA

Old 12-12-2019, 09:56 AM

Tennessee is not very good. Neither is Mississippi State. Tua got injured against both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr_CHrljJr0

Old 12-12-2019, 10:07 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I call BS on this. You have no evidence to back this up.

There is absolutely no correlation between a team's rank and the probability of injury. Good teams aren't good because they are able to dish out more physical harm to other teams but because they are well-coached and have more skill all around. Florida State is a complete dumpster fire because their coaching sucks, their defense is undisciplined and often lined up incorrectly, their QB can't throw an accurate pass to save his life, etc. None of that means that one of their 5-star linebackers can't destroy your knee the same way OSU destroyed Willis McGahee's knee back in 2002. Those types of injuries happen in football and I've seen absolutely no evidence that it is more likely to happen against LSU or Alabama than it is against Syracuse or Boston College.

Where the possibility of injury becomes a real concern is when you have a clear mismatch between a top P5 team like Georgia and some small FCS school that is only in the game for a paycheck. The risk of injury is definitely something to worry about in those games because the players are nowhere near the same size. Georgia's kicker paralyzed a player from Southern University. This type of matchup should not even be allowed to happen. That's about as reckless as letting a welterweight and cruiserweight square up in the boxing ring.

MAYBE you can say that the risk is a little higher against POOR teams because a better team is going to be better positioned to make clean stops.. Tua was injured against Mississippi State.. Not a great team. Marcus Lattimore, one of the more gruesome injuries of recent times, was injured against a pedestrian Tennessee team. But, flip the side of that.. Joe Theismann was hurt by Lawrence Taylor who was on a great team and was one of the best players at the time.

I tend to think that the better teams are better coached, in better position and make better hits that reduce the chance of injury. But, this is just very small and could very well, if the stats backed it up, just be statistical noise.

Short of players like.. Burfect or whatever his name is on the Bengals and Suh and Fat Albert and a few others... No player really wants to injure someone else. When someone gets hurt, it's a freak accident, generally. Clowney was one of the greatest and hardest hitting college players of recent memory.. I can't think of him injuring anyone, even with the massive hits he laid out. Most times, injuries are just freak accidents. Even concussions from targeting.. Usually the player didn't intend to target the other player. Just a bang-bang play where it wound up happening.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:29 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,880 times
Quote:
The risk of injury specifically with the QB position increases when OSU gets into these tight games where Meyer and to some extent although it’s less Day does the designed QB run or the defense takes away the back more often in zone read scheme.

Over the years OSU has seemingly used the QB more often in designed run plays against tougher competition.

Sadly I remember the most glaring case was the 2015 MSU game where Elliot has a dozen carries and JT had almost twice as many

Old 12-12-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
The risk of injury specifically with the QB position increases when OSU gets into these tight games where Meyer and to some extent although it’s less Day does the designed QB run or the defense takes away the back more often in zone read scheme.
Statistically a QB is more likely to be hurt in the pocket than he is on a designed run.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/ex...qbs-overstated

While I'm sure it's happened, I can't recall an instance of a QB getting injured on a designed run. Designed QB runs are about a good 15%-20% of the Ravens' offensive game plan. Most people think of Vick and RG3 when they think of "mobile" QBs and those guys did in fact play the game in a reckless way that led to injury. But their injury history had more to do with their style of play than it did with the plays being called for them. They were scramblers. I think it's totally different when you have an extra blocker and a guard pulling for you and you're not taking the full brunt of a hit the way you might in the pocket or on a scramble.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:46 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I'm not sure how people arrived at conclusion Big 10 is more grueling than the ACC given there weren't many games played between the two conferences.

It is speculation presented as a fact.

Pitt almost beat Penn State. That's the only game b/t the two conferences that I can recall.
Let's not forget that BC beat Rutgers LOL.

Just for your edification, outside of your mighty Tigers............

The ACC went 2-11 against teams in the other Power 5 conferences. ACC sans Clemson had wins over Rutgers and South Carolina.

Losses were Notre Dame x 2, Florida x 2 Kentucky, Maryland, WVU, Penn State, Alabama, Georgia and of course Kansas.

You all lost a freakin' home game to Kansas.

ACC has had some really good years. This wasn't one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football