Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 02:08 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times

Advertisements

Just like I said back in March when the conferences banned fans from the conference tournaments that was going to be the end of the basketball season, when the news came down when the MAC cancelled fall sports I knew that was the beginning of the end of college football at least in the fall of 2020. Hopefully they can come back with something in the Spring.

Pac 12 will be next to follow, and the ACC will follow soon after that. Big 12 and the SEC will hold out for a while longer but I think they are both done in the long haul too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 03:56 PM

1,462 posts, read 973,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Just like I said back in March when the conferences banned fans from the conference tournaments that was going to be the end of the basketball season, when the news came down when the MAC cancelled fall sports I knew that was the beginning of the end of college football at least in the fall of 2020. Hopefully they can come back with something in the Spring.

Pac 12 will be next to follow, and the ACC will follow soon after that. Big 12 and the SEC will hold out for a while longer but I think they are both done in the long haul too.
Done deal, Pac12 postpones season till Spring.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...n-spring-2021/

Old 08-11-2020, 04:05 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoQZ0qmf-mk

Old 08-12-2020, 09:43 AM

208 posts, read 100,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway Song View Post
It’s a game people, useless stuff before the virus and certainly useless now.
Its not just a game. Football brings in millions of dollars to support scholarships and athletic programs throughout the school. It brings in millions to local economies also. There are also many athletes with dreams of going pro and this will affect that. All these student athletes will still be on campus with all the students anyways. They aren't canceling classes.

Last edited by Durpie; 08-12-2020 at 09:59 AM..

Old 08-12-2020, 12:51 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie View Post
Its not just a game. Football brings in millions of dollars to support scholarships and athletic programs throughout the school. It brings in millions to local economies also. There are also many athletes with dreams of going pro and this will affect that. All these student athletes will still be on campus with all the students anyways. They aren't canceling classes.

It should be just a game. Just because there are those who leech off of the athletes does not make it anything else.

Old 08-12-2020, 03:58 PM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie View Post
All these student athletes will still be on campus with all the students anyways. They aren't canceling classes.
I don't know about all universities, but many have cancelled classroom instruction for the entire year, or at least the first semester, and are doing online only, and chances are universities with big-name football teams are included in that list.

I do recognize that it is a big blow to student athletes who are relying on this season to showcase themselves for next spring's NFL draft.

Someone suggested to me today that some of those student athletes may seek a transfer to an SEC or ACC team if one or both of those two conferences decide to go ahead as planned.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:22 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I don't know about all universities, but many have cancelled classroom instruction for the entire year, or at least the first semester, and are doing online only, and chances are universities with big-name football teams are included in that list.
My nephew is on the football roster at Syracuse, so he's been on campus since a week ago Sunday. The SU chancellor is one of the people who will making the decision about the ACC season.

His older brother (not a football player) is now on campus at U of NH.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:11 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post

The SEC hopefully will stick it out. We have a lot of support for playing down here. Being this is red state America and we are more apprehensive about giving in to the coronavirus panic anymore than we already have. Remember we were eating in restaurants down here while those in “big ten country” were required by law to stay in their homes. There is some serious pushback against the coronavirus worry warts in the South. I know the players want a season, the fans want a season and canceling it will enrage people here. We need to stop giving in to the most frightened scared people in America and go back to living. I would rather talk about whether or not Jeremy Pruitt has improved our Tennessee team again this year and discuss our chances for beating some tough in conference opponents like Florida and Georgia. So much more enjoyable than speaking about coronavirus cancellations.

I really do feel sorry for the kids who play for big ten teams. They are being robbed of an opportunity. Some of these young men will miss their chance at the NFL over this.

We can have SEC college football for the whole country this year.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:02 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,243,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The SEC hopefully will stick it out. We have a lot of support for playing down here. Being this is red state America and we are more apprehensive about giving in to the coronavirus panic anymore than we already have. Remember we were eating in restaurants down here while those in “big ten country” were required by law to stay in their homes. There is some serious pushback against the coronavirus worry warts in the South. I know the players want a season, the fans want a season and canceling it will enrage people here. We need to stop giving in to the most frightened scared people in America and go back to living. I would rather talk about whether or not Jeremy Pruitt has improved our Tennessee team again this year and discuss our chances for beating some tough in conference opponents like Florida and Georgia. So much more enjoyable than speaking about coronavirus cancellations.

I really do feel sorry for the kids who play for big ten teams. They are being robbed of an opportunity. Some of these young men will miss their chance at the NFL over this.

We can have SEC college football for the whole country this year.
Here in Ohio, we are pissed at the Big Ten...even Coach Day was seeking a way to play in another conference for a year at least. The protocols the team put in place were top notch and every coach and player was pushing hard to play...Ohio State's incoming president was 1 of the 3 University Presidents who voted not to cancel but the others won out...

IF the SEC and Big 12 and ACC do play a season, then this is going to kill recruiting in the Big Ten, even at Ohio State...this team was stacked and had a great shot at winning the NC this year...taken away by people who don't give a damn about football...totally sucks.

Think of this for a second too regarding players putting on a show to make it the NFL...after the 2018 season ended, Joe Burrow wouldn't have even been on the NFL radar to be drafted...he had a pedestrian first year at Baton Rouge and their team was average at best...if Covid had it a year earlier, and this happened to the 2019 season, he would have never gotten the chance to show how he improved for the NFL...he definitely wouldn't have become a #1 pick and gotten his family set for generations now if they take care of that money properly...that type of story could happen to kids this year w/ their season taken away.

I guarentee the NFL is going to play...Hell, even the high schools here in Ohio are planning on playing a 6 game season and then extended playoffs...there was no reason to do this whatsoever...especially when it's not killing these kids...

Old 08-13-2020, 12:34 AM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
It should be just a game. Just because there are those who leech off of the athletes does not make it anything else.
Time to cut the pay of some of these multi-million dollar contracts for coaches and AD's since the justification was they are running multi-million dollar businesses, They aren't anymore...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football