Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:12 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,912,044 times

Advertisements

The start of Season 2, Toss Up! is back.

This week's topic: The College Football post-season

The Easy Question
Which is best for college football?: Playoffs or BCS

Win or go home....
Which one of these playoff systems would be better?:
-10 team system. Top 10 teams in the country, head to head.
-8 team, BCS Bowl system. Top 8 teams play in the 4 BCS bowls, then play a second round game, heading into the National Title.
-28 team, bowl inc. system. Top 2 of every confrence with 5 wildcards and the top independent school (or 6th wildcard), play for spot in the National Title game. Whoever looses a game will go to a bowl game. 4 BCS bowls and 10 other bowl games are included in this system.

The Random Corporation.com Anytown, U.S.A. Thing Bowl
Which was the best Non-National Championship Bowl game this season?

We're #1!.... No WE'RE #1!..... NO WE ARE!
After tonight's game, who diserves to be the #1 team in the Nation?: Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah, or USC?

The 5th Quarter
Should Utah, or any other Mid-Major Confrence team that finnishes undefeated, play in the National Title Game?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 02:11 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times
The Easy Question
Which is best for college football?: Playoffs or BCS

Playoffs, of course! Every other NCAA sport has a playoff, as does every other level of college football. It is a shame the NCAA is more interested in cash cow bowl games than a playoff

Win or go home....
Which one of these playoff systems would be better?:
-10 team system. Top 10 teams in the country, head to head.
-8 team, BCS Bowl system. Top 8 teams play in the 4 BCS bowls, then play a second round game, heading into the National Title.
-28 team, bowl inc. system. Top 2 of every confrence with 5 wildcards and the top independent school (or 6th wildcard), play for spot in the National Title game. Whoever looses a game will go to a bowl game. 4 BCS bowls and 10 other bowl games are included in this system.

The 8 team system. Look, it is great to dream about 28 team playoff fields; but that would not work without taking away neutral fields. You are not going to fill up the stadiums for these games. People are only going to be able to travel so much to follow their teams. You think OSU fans are going to travel south or out west four weeks in a row; enough to fill 80000+ seat stadiums? No way. You can incorporate an 8 team playoff into bowls and get fans to travel and fill up stadiums; anything more than that is a pipe dream we won't see in our lifetimes. Now, you can do this in the NCAA tourney because you are filling up 20,000 seat arenas in the first few rounds; and those are often not very full anyway. You can't do that in college football with much larger stadiums over several weeks. you would have to play multiple games on the same field on the same day; that would be a tough sell for those who don't win the right to host. Also, you will never have the university presidents agree to play playoff games in front of half empty stadiums. This is what you would have if you had a 28 team playoff holding games in the south and west.

The Random Corporation.com Anytown, U.S.A. Thing Bowl
Which was the best Non-National Championship Bowl game this season?

The one I enjoyed most so far was West Virginia beating whoever it was they played. Mizzou-Northwestern was a good game; but I am a big 10 homer and did not enjoy watching the 'Cats lose.

We're #1!.... No WE'RE #1!..... NO WE ARE!
After tonight's game, who diserves to be the #1 team in the Nation?: Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah, or USC?

Whomever wins the game between OU and Florida.

The 5th Quarter
Should Utah, or any other Mid-Major Confrence team that finnishes undefeated, play in the National Title Game?
NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! The Mountain West agreed to the current system; and while I do think the Mountain West is the strongest non-BCS conference; they are still not a BCS conference. If Utah wants a shot at the national title; join the Pac-10. I love the mid-majors, and it makes for a great story, but teams like Utah and Boise State are great for what they are, but in a stronger conference, they are not undefeated and not in the BCS conversation. If we had a playoff, I would love to see them participate in that and see what they can do. But if Utah was playing Florida or Oklahoma for a national title; I would not like Utah's chances.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:16 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,664,598 times
I'm nowhere near the college football fan I used to be, so I'll just say this ...

I'd like to see an eight-team playoff. They could play the games right after the regular season ends. Nobody has to give up a bowl ... these would all happen BEFORE the bowl games. The losers would all get automatic bowl bids, and the two remaining teams from the playoffs would play in the National Championship game, just like they do now.

The solution is so simple. I don't know why the college football powers that be make it so difficult.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:31 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,247,883 times
A 28 team-playoff would take forever to finish, 10 would sound more ideal. But then you run the risk of having the same matchups year in and year out.

Texas-Ohio State was a great game with a great finish

Old 01-08-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
It is a shame the NCAA is more interested in cash cow bowl games than a playoff
Actually, the NCAA has nothing to do with the BCS and it can't have a playoff system with the BCS existing. It's controled by the presidents of the BCS confrences.

I know this, because I mailed a letter to the NCAA, who told me that they're not behind the current system.

But I think there are about 8 or 9 too many bowl games out there.....

Old 01-08-2009, 05:38 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,486,181 times
Which is best?
PLayoffs

8 or 10 team? For sure not 28
Probably 8 team

Who Should be number one?
Oklahoma of course........go sooners!

The 5th Quarter?
I am happy very happy about Utah and being undefeated...that's my team, but I don't think they could win Oklahoma.....not in their "league"

Old 01-08-2009, 05:53 PM

I gotta defend the 28 playoff system.....

I see some of you are saying it would take too long.
... Well, college football is arguably the most popular sport in America, but it seems to end the quickest. So what's wrong with an extra 4 weeks? The playoffs would begin the week of the confrence championships (which would go along with the top 2 of every confrence thing). You could have 7 games on Friday, the other 7 on Saturday....

Then there's the location factor.
... Does it have to be a neutral site? Instead of traveling everywhere, you could have the higher ranked team host a home game until round 4 maybe (the two games that decide the National Champion teams...)

And the main reason why I'd pull for the 28 team system....
... EVERY Confrence has an equal chance to at least play in the National Title game. One thing I hate about college football is that some people think that Mid-Majors just can't play with "the big boys". But all that to me is just paper talk. Who's to say that Florida Atlantic has no right to try and get to the big game. Something that makes college hoops special is that the little schools nobody knows can take on a powerhouse. We get our Davids vs. Goliaths. Why not in football?

Old 01-08-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Actually, the NCAA has nothing to do with the BCS and it can't have a playoff system with the BCS existing. It's controled by the presidents of the BCS confrences.
I used NCAA in a generic sense; I know it is the university presidents who are preventing it. I think everyone knows...

Old 01-08-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
I used NCAA in a generic sense; I know it is the university presidents who are preventing it. I think everyone knows...
Oh... well the point is there, the BCS shouldn't exist.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I gotta defend the 28 playoff system.....

Then there's the location factor.
... Does it have to be a neutral site? Instead of traveling everywhere, you could have the higher ranked team host a home game until round 4 maybe (the two games that decide the National Champion teams...)

And the main reason why I'd pull for the 28 team system....
... EVERY Confrence has an equal chance to at least play in the National Title game. One thing I hate about college football is that some people think that Mid-Majors just can't play with "the big boys". But all that to me is just paper talk. Who's to say that Florida Atlantic has no right to try and get to the big game. Something that makes college hoops special is that the little schools nobody knows can take on a powerhouse. We get our Davids vs. Goliaths. Why not in football?
No, it does not HAVE to be on neutral fields. However, if you are not involving the bowl system in some way; you will never see a 28 team playoff. You could play the first couple of rounds on campus; but then you are taking bowl participants away. That won't happen. You can't have an entirely neutral field system for the reason I stated in my first post. You can not expect to fill stadiums with fans from the midwest/northeast/any interior location who are not going to travel cross country four weeks in a row to playoff games.

You honestly think Florida Atlantic should be able to play for a national title? Sorry, but in 28 team playoff; unless FAU is playing Marshall in the first round every year, they are one and done 90% of the time. I get the sentiment to give the mid-majors a chance, but not on a large scale. When is the last time a 16 seed in the NCAA tourney won a tourney game? NEVER. How often will the Western Kentuckys or the Tulanes of the world win a game at a top ranked SEC school in a meaningful playoff game? I would guess once every thousand tries. Sure, once every twenty years you might have a "George Mason" show up in the final four, but even they got crushed by an eventual national champ. I would love to see a college playoff; but if you want to protect the "importance of the regular season," you have to stop at 8. You let a Utah in and see what they can do; but you can't let in every mediocre 5 loss mid-major into a playoff.

EDIT: My bad; FAU was 6-6 at the end of the season. They were blown out by Texas and Minnesota; and lost by double digits to Michigan State, Arkansas State and Troy. But by all means, give them a crack at a title!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football