Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 02:09 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,865 times

Advertisements

Hey yall, from DC area (TERPS) and recently got into football both pro and college scince last season.

Was wondering two things;

Do the Terps have a team they can consider their rival on the gridiron?

Also from first to last, which are the most popular conferences?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 06:45 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,764 times
With the conferences it's really a matter of opinion. You have your big ones like the Big Ten, SEC, Big XII, Pac 10, ACC and Big East. Then smaller ones like the Mac, Mountain West, Sun Belt and Wac.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:41 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,460,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Hey yall, from DC area (TERPS) and recently got into football both pro and college scince last season.

Thanks.
The conference question is a "loaded question."

Fans can be very rabid over their teams and conferences. It is so regional in many cases, but like Packersnut said, those are the big conferences with the most fans (larger schools/football programs) and then there are some smaller conferences with sucessful programs that are not as popular nationwide, but still quite good at times.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:53 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,844,425 times
Quote:

Thanks.
welcome walt. I am also from the DC area, although I have since moved away. I don't think maryland has a traditional rival. I do think that they are creating a rivalry with west virginia. I guess all of their ACC games would be "rivals."

the most popular conference. hmm. I think the pac-10, SEC, big 12, and big 10 are pretty even. the big east and ACC are still basketball conferences.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:13 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,865 times
Thanks finalsay.

Hmm that's the verdict on the ACC and Big East huh, interesting cause my gramps said some time ago the Orangemen were known for their FOOTBALL not basketball (maybe just during some particular years).

Apparently VTech has been the hottest team in the ACC recently (other than that I guess it was all about Clemson historically). That kinda hampers expectations for DC area teams a little. Well as an honorary Keystone stater, I do have Penn State to look forward to as well.

Also scince he is a Pennsylvanian (Philly baby), he always looked forward to the Penn classic (I think it was called) between the Pitt Panthers and the Nittany Lions (yay JoePa!). Now I hear the rivalry is dormant, shame.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:10 AM

4,077 posts, read 5,608,852 times
Quote:
Thanks finalsay.

Hmm that's the verdict on the ACC and Big East huh, interesting cause my gramps said some time ago the Orangemen were known for their FOOTBALL not basketball (maybe just during some particular years).
They were good with McNabb. He still holds a bunch of Big East records.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:32 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,460,038 times
Quote:
Thanks finalsay.

Apparently VTech has been the hottest team in the ACC recently (other than that I guess it was all about Clemson historically). That kinda hampers expectations for DC area teams a little. Well as an honorary Keystone stater, I do have Penn State to look forward to as well.

Also scince he is a Pennsylvanian (Philly baby), he always looked forward to the Penn classic (I think it was called) between the Pitt Panthers and the Nittany Lions (yay JoePa!). Now I hear the rivalry is dormant, shame.
As with all sports college football is so cyclical. Every major conference has been viewed as the best at one point. You have the traditional powers in every conference that are followed through thick and thin, but also teams that rise up every once and challenge the "big boys." Now, with scholarships being limited, you have teams that were never any good starting to put tough programs together. The days of 3rd stringers getting drafted to the pros are long gone (ala the USC, Texas, OU, Bama). Sure, those traditional powers still load up on talent, but things are much more even and competitive.

Just pick a team you like and support them. I'm still feeling very confident Oregon will put everything together (including a little luck from the injury gods) and make it to the NC in a few years.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:06 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
syracuse has a really good football history, but for the past 20 years they've been primarily a basketball school with occasionally pretty good football teams (aside from the mcnabb years, they had some good runs in the 80s as well)

maybe your grandfathers time takes him back to the days of jim brown and ernie davis where football was the undisputed king of the school sports

Old 05-28-2009, 09:47 AM

143 posts, read 415,460 times
Quote:

Apparently VTech has been the hottest team in the ACC recently (other than that I guess it was all about Clemson historically).
Clemson? How about Florida State. They finished 14 straight years ranked in the top 5 ending in the year 2000 and won the ACC 13 times since they joined the league in 91. Since FSU's first year in the ACC, Clemson hasn't won a league title.

VT has won it two years in a row, so that's correct.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:54 PM

137 posts, read 294,782 times
Clemson sucks, all they do every year is start 5-0 against creampuffs and then tank down the stretch. That's their tradition. Death Valley is a joke, the real one is in Baton Rouge.

Historically, it's all Noles and it's not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football