Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 10:24 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,865 times

Advertisements

I have read the history of the rivalry and heard about it from my gramps from Philly, he remembers it longingly (though he is impartial).

I have also read various reasons for and against in coming back although too often they devolve into your team sucks nonsense.

Personally, I think it should come back. In a sport that heralds tradition like NCAA pigskin, I think it's silly to discontinue it. It may be true that Pitt needs it more than PSU, but I hardly think PSU would be hurt by it. If anything, it'll provide another really big game to look forward to for fans up north.

THAT BEING SAID, If Pitt wants the rivalry so bad, it has to get it's stuff in gear and be more consistent in taking the Big East much more often. I don't expect them to be golden boys like PSU (how can you with the huge muscle in the form of recongition and money that they command, to say nothing of JoePa's tenure). However, they can still try in keep at the top of the game to at least off set the ongoing "Big East is just a B-Ball conference" stuff going around.

I think it just may comeback someday, prolly after Paterno's retirement, I would definetly look forward to it as a former Pennsylvanian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 11:12 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,437 times
Yes it should. I can only imagine the craziness and parties that would ensue. I'm not sure what it would take to bring it back, but perhaps Joepa's eventual retirement would be the answer..

Old 08-03-2009, 06:01 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,373,524 times
It DEFINITELY should come back! The parties would be CRAZINESS!! I'm not a huge college football fan, but that is one game I would watch every year. Of course, I would cheer for Pitt.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:16 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
I have read the history of the rivalry and heard about it from my gramps from Philly, he remembers it longingly (though he is impartial).
From your gramps?
:::sigh:::
That makes me feel old, as I was there at all the games in the 70s. Even went to NOLA for the Sugar Bowl win.

Anyways, until JoePA retires it won't happen. He does not want it.

Also, PSU insists on 2 home one away, instead of home and away. Pitt won't let that happen.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:50 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,423 times
Absolutely should return. If I remember correctly, it was often played on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Never should have stopped the series.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:42 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post

I have also read various reasons for and against in coming back although too often they devolve into your team sucks nonsense.

Personally, I think it should come back. In a sport that heralds tradition like NCAA pigskin, I think it's silly to discontinue it. It may be true that Pitt needs it more than PSU, but I hardly think PSU would be hurt by it. If anything, it'll provide another really big game to look forward to for fans up north.

THAT BEING SAID, If Pitt wants the rivalry so bad, it has to get it's stuff in gear and be more consistent in taking the Big East much more often. I don't expect them to be golden boys like PSU (how can you with the huge muscle in the form of recongition and money that they command, to say nothing of JoePa's tenure). However, they can still try in keep at the top of the game to at least off set the ongoing "Big East is just a B-Ball conference" stuff going around.

I think it just may comeback someday, prolly after Paterno's retirement, I would definetly look forward to it as a former Pennsylvanian.
By all means...it was a great intrastate rivalry and a traditional "Thanksgiving" game for both teams....they both would always play so hard, that you could never really be sure of the winner until the game was played....

Old 08-03-2009, 01:57 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
I'm not sure what it would take to bring it back, but perhaps Joepa's eventual retirement would be the answer..
Or, make it the Big 10+2 by adding Pitt. That way the rivalry could be restored and the conference could finally be broken into divisions with a conference championship game after Thanksgiving.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:05 PM

193 posts, read 534,910 times
Anyway to turn the oval inside the Pocono Raceway Racetrac into a football field? That way, you can have a neutral game. Yes Pitt-PSU should play every year.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:11 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
While I think that the Big Ten has worked out well for Penn State, I have to wonder if PSU would have seen the development of conference football (obviously the Big East) getting as advanced as it is now, would it have joined the midwestern conference?

I realize that the Big East is not the Big Ten and that when it comes to rivalries, Penn State certainly has a spirited one with Ohio State. Still you have to wonder: would PSU been happy knowing it could have had so many of the teams in its region with strong connections (like it has with Pitt), would it have joined the B10?

Old 08-04-2009, 12:34 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,865 times
You really think that the Big East has come that far huh? Some guys in the south would say otherwise.

The Lions would have gone for which ever would have made them the most money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football