Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 03:44 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,865 times

Advertisements

Low time in the news I am sure but have anyone been payin attention to their teams during the spring?

It's been real quiet on the Virginia front, not much of any worth to talk about as we really won't see a class (that could compete) formed by new coach Mike London till next year. He says he wants to get a power running game going but we don't have a lot of productive players and skill sets and our QB seems wobbly.

Around the ACC, VTech looks as solid as ever in both recruiting and it's practices. Same with GTech too.

The national media is once again hyping up Miami and FSU like they do every year. I bet they improve (FSU got a monster of a class) but it's like the only way that ACC is worth anything is if FSU or Miami is any good. Nuts to all else (but then again that's how it is in all conferences I guess).

Would anyone stand up and surprise in the ACC? VTech still seems like the team to beat but GTech isn't bad either. UNC needs to capitalize if not NOW than SOON on winning the ACC before the two monsters from Florida rise again. I don't hear good stuff about their offense during spring practice though (now the D on the other hand)....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 06:01 PM

897 posts, read 1,688,950 times
Tennessee looked ragged during the Orange and White game. That's to be expected considering they lost a lot of players after the 2009 season. I still think Tennessee goes 7-5 and to another bowl game.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Low time in the news I am sure but have anyone been payin attention to their teams during the spring?

It's been real quiet on the Virginia front, not much of any worth to talk about as we really won't see a class (that could compete) formed by new coach Mike London till next year. He says he wants to get a power running game going but we don't have a lot of productive players and skill sets and our QB seems wobbly.

Around the ACC, VTech looks as solid as ever in both recruiting and it's practices. Same with GTech too.

The national media is once again hyping up Miami and FSU like they do every year. I bet they improve (FSU got a monster of a class) but it's like the only way that ACC is worth anything is if FSU or Miami is any good. Nuts to all else (but then again that's how it is in all conferences I guess).

Would anyone stand up and surprise in the ACC? VTech still seems like the team to beat but GTech isn't bad either. UNC needs to capitalize if not NOW than SOON on winning the ACC before the two monsters from Florida rise again. I don't hear good stuff about their offense during spring practice though (now the D on the other hand)....
I think Georgia Tech and FSU will win up playing each other in the ACCCG. I think both GT and FSU will probably be 9-3 and VT will win 8-9 games.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:21 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,033,859 times
I've been paying attention to my team's spring practices. I usually do anyway but particularly this year since we have a new head coach at Texas Tech (Tommy Tuberville). From what I've heard and seen so far I've been impressed with Tubs. As far as the players go, we're still having a few injury issues that could carry over into the fall on offense (QB mostly) and the defense is young. Tubs was actually able to get a good recruting class assembled considering the mess that went on with the firing of former HC Mike Leach. Since we have a whole new coaching staff at Tech I'll be happy if we somehow become bowl eligible this year...LOL. Tubs is making minimal changes to Tech's high scoring offense but he will utilize the running game more than in the past. Next year, with a stronger SEC style defense in place, we should be much better overall and I hope we'll be a force to be reckoned with in the Big 12!

Old 05-06-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
I've been paying attention to my team's spring practices. I usually do anyway but particularly this year since we have a new head coach at Texas Tech (Tommy Tuberville). From what I've heard and seen so far I've been impressed with Tubs. As far as the players go, we're still having a few injury issues that could carry over into the fall on offense (QB mostly) and the defense is young. Tubs was actually able to get a good recruting class assembled considering the mess that went on with the firing of former HC Mike Leach. Since we have a whole new coaching staff at Tech I'll be happy if we somehow become bowl eligible this year...LOL. Tubs is making minimal changes to Tech's high scoring offense but he will utilize the running game more than in the past. Next year, with a stronger SEC style defense in place, we should be much better overall and I hope we'll be a force to be reckoned with in the Big 12!

At least with TT,You have a Coach with his head on straight.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:43 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,033,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
At least with TT,You have a Coach with his head on straight.
LOL...Yeah, Leach was great in terms of developing an offense but he was definitely a strange guy. You never knew what he was going to do or say. I think he mostly just didn't have the social skills needed for that job. I can already tell that Tubs is definitely an improvement in that category. I just hope he can win as many games as Leach did, and preferably, even surpass Leach's record at Tech.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
LOL...Yeah, Leach was great in terms of developing an offense but he was definitely a strange guy. You never knew what he was going to do or say. I think he mostly just didn't have the social skills needed for that job. I can already tell that Tubs is definitely an improvement in that category. I just hope he can win as many games as Leach did, and preferably, even surpass Leach's record at Tech.

He'll definately run a different offense,very conservative.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
I think Georgia Tech and FSU will win up playing each other in the ACCCG. I think both GT and FSU will probably be 9-3 and VT will win 8-9 games.
FSU huh? I guess if only because no one really sticks out in the Atlantic.

Coastal is so tough, I hope UVA manages to avoid a historical fate that Northwestern faced (they really came along in the past two decades though).

I don't really like rooting for fellow conference teams, (as a guy versed in the pro game, I don't buy that much into conference solidarity like SEC boosters do.) still I kinda wish UNC well because it would provide such a welcome surprise, seeing a traditional ACC Bball school really step it up in pigskin.

I just don't know if they can do it with their offense though.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:14 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Alabama sure has the fans.

92,000 for the Crimson/White spring game ( reported in the Alabama forum )

Old 05-07-2010, 11:15 PM

My god.

On the other scale you have like 6,000 who showed up for UCONN's game.

UNC, VTech and FSU had record crowds respectively. Big Kudos to Butch Davis in particular in getting Carolina up for spring practice.

UVA's stands looked pretty empty unsurprisingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football