Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 10:12 PM

425 posts, read 1,958,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
She can always join the military in the chaplain's office. Food and housing will be provided, and she can pay her college debts off with her paycheck.
I don't think for a minute she'd do it, though.
Hell, the military will make the payments on her student loans for her. What they won't cover (not sure how the student loan repayment program works), she can cover with her paycheck. One of my roommates when I was in the Army did that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 01:09 PM

912 posts, read 1,334,955 times
Ms.Munna is an idot .She was smart enough to get into NYU,yet she couldn't do the simple math she would be required to pay back .Her degree is Religious and women’s studies,is laughable what was she thinking .

Old 07-11-2010, 01:28 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,802,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaProud View Post
Ms.Munna is an idot .She was smart enough to get into NYU,yet she couldn't do the simple math she would be required to pay back .Her degree is Religious and women’s studies,is laughable what was she thinking .
Her problem is NOT her major -- she did get a decent job, after all. Her problem is that she took on way too much debt to get that degree. If she'd taken on $20k in student loans with the same majors she'd be fine. I agree that she obviously wasn't thinking, though.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:48 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,791,069 times
Just to play devil's advocate here, let's say she was a mechanical engineering major...but in the same boat ($97K in debt, no job). Then we would be more understanding? Well sympathy does not clear the student loan debt away. And I do personally know of some engineers that are out of work; and of some psychology majors who are working (many times, it is their personal situations that determine whether they make it or starve).

While we can criticize her choices, it seems she made the best out of her situation that she could see. She could have dropped out...and then been $50K in the hole with no degree at all.

Why people even need to make these choices is reprehensible. What this country needs is to put more focus on education and build it more into our societal standards that higher education is important. There actually is a need for women's study majors in that there are a lot of non-profits out there that focus on women and children. If we were all driven to our majors by potential income to be earned, then my goodness, we would have very few people majoring in education with the intent to become teachers. In some areas of the country, teachers don't make enough to buy new cars or their own homes; much less pay back student loans!

In the background of this story lies a broken system; much larger and all-encompassing than this woman's student loan debt...that is for sure.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:12 PM

5,065 posts, read 6,372,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Just to play devil's advocate here, let's say she was a mechanical engineering major...but in the same boat ($97K in debt, no job). Then we would be more understanding?
Yep. Hugely more understanding. She's an idiot for taking the major she did at the school she did. I might have had sympathy if she tried the route at a very cheap state school. Right now, none.

Basic economics. Employers do not want or need her major, therefore-don't spend more than you can afford to pay back. They do want/usually need engineers-therefore-take a calculated risk.

It's the difference between playing the lottery (womens and religious studies majors) and investing (engineering, sometimes business topics such as accounting). You're usually a lot better off investing (and please don't lecture me about the last 10 years, tell me about the last 100 in the stock market).

Old 07-11-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Yep. Hugely more understanding. She's an idiot for taking the major she did at the school she did. I might have had sympathy if she tried the route at a very cheap state school. Right now, none.
That's great; but again, sympathy does not erase student loan debt. Your major has no impact on your ability to default on your loan.

Quote:
Basic economics. Employers do not want or need her major, therefore-don't spend more than you can afford to pay back. They do want/usually need engineers-therefore-take a calculated risk.
'Employers' is a very large, diverse group. Why would you say this? A women's study major would be picked over an engineering major to run a group home, or to work in a university's women's center, or to work in a wide-variety of positions in the non-profit sector.

Quote:
It's the difference between playing the lottery (womens and religious studies majors) and investing (engineering, sometimes business topics such as accounting). You're usually a lot better off investing (and please don't lecture me about the last 10 years, tell me about the last 100 in the stock market).
It is unrealistic to imply that everyone who goes to college should major in a particular field and/or that only students from particular socio-economic backgrounds should major in certain things. Students from poor families can not avoid student loans even for the most inexpensive state-schools. And are the children of the middle to upper-class families in America all be driven towards majoring in the liberal arts so that they can go on to earn a fraction of what their parents make (but hey, at least their parents can pay their college tuition, right?)?

Intelligent students should be encouraged to study whatever they are passionate about in that you usually tend to excel in your passions. Woe be the day when we end up like China and your profession is slated for you at a young age and that is what you do, like it or not. In the US, there is no incentive for the liberal arts in that they are charged at the same tuition rate as the sciences at most schools; hence the attitude...'oh, you should not go into debt for XYZ major'. But guess what? The vast majority of majors offered by colleges do not produce graduates that can snag jobs earning even $30K per year....and that can barely even begin to pay off the lowest amount of student debt.

Students are also quite restricted in regards to where they are from. NY and PA have college tuition rates through the roofs....even at state universities. Go out of state...and you are hit with out-of-state tuition + travel back and forth to home. College students in the south and west have a HUGE advantage in this regard.

Increasing the amount of grant and scholarship financial aid would be a tremendous start. The amount of the Pell Grant is like a nasty practical joke. There should be another federal grant program that rewards students who maintain high academic marks. Americorps and Teach For America (http://www.teachforamerica.org/index2.htm - broken link) should be able to expand and offer competitive salaries. The G.I. Bill should be readjusted to take into account out-of-state tuition costs.

Because student loans are to many, the only way to get the necessary money to attend college, this problem will continue. Dropping out, changing your major and transferring to a cheaper school may or may not fix the problem for the individual student. Many times there is a limit on how many credits can transfer and/or your program is extended turning a 4 year degree into a 6 year degree. Even cheaper tuition does not equate to a cheaper bottom line cost of attendance...in that you will be incurring the cost of room and board if your family does not live within a commutable distance to a state school (such is the case here in PA in a LOT of areas).

Colleges are out of control in their tuition costs; AND there is a dire shortage of non-loan options to pay for higher education. It is not right to judge students so harshly when dealing with this type of climate in higher education.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:42 PM

5,065 posts, read 6,372,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
It is unrealistic to imply that everyone who goes to college should major in a particular field and/or that only students from particular socio-economic backgrounds should major in certain things.
I guess I wasn't clear. I'm not implying it. I'm saying it. If you can't pay back student loans with a low-paying job-e.g., have parents willing to give you money either in school to keep student loans down, or after school if you get in trouble, don't major in a profession with limited employment opportunities. Like this young lady did.

Sorry, I don't buy for a second there's "demand" for a young women's/religious studies graduate ("group homes" and "social work" notwithstanding-google fastest growing occupations, and you may not see these professions).

Sucks to be her. She should have gone to a cheaper university if this was her passion, or gone to a different major where there was a predictable chance of getting a decent-paying job if she absolutely had to go to NYU.

She wanted to have the trendy university and "cool major," with employment afterwards. I'd like a pony. I can't have that, either.

I can be as harsh as I'd like. I graduated in *1993* with over $30,000 in student loan debt. I didn't major in my passion because I could do basic research on economic reality. I majored in something (business and information systems) that would get me the skills to give me a chance to get a freakin' job, and did ROTC (ending up on active duty) to double-tap the issue of the poor job market then. I wished I could have majored in microbiology or exercise physiology. Oh well.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I guess I wasn't clear. I'm not implying it. I'm saying it. If you can't pay back student loans with a low-paying job-e.g., have parents willing to give you money either in school to keep student loans down, or after school if you get in trouble, don't major in a profession with limited employment opportunities. Like this young lady did.
Well it takes all types to make the world go around. Luckily for us, not everyone holds the same opinion.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:02 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,166,830 times
It's amazing how we turn on each other. The goverment is a master manipulator. They sold us this fake bill of goods. A good way to enslave ourselves for life. It is now proven that it is economically more beneficial in the long run for a non college grad than a college grad by a good amount. Never in the history of our government was this true. Of course never in our history was goverment completely run by big business. Study after study is proving this now. Our goverment has sold us a false bill of goods. Most people are getting into college debt, and are forced to work two crappy jobs for years just to pay off student loans. The governement is basically enslaving us.

Yet, when someone complains, us middles class to poor people tear each other apart. The government has us positioned against each other. They have sold us this fake dream that we can become rich too. Where the truth is, most of us will never be rich. The top 1% in this country own 95% of everything. That leaves the other 95% fighting for five percent. Something is seriously wrong with that. Instead of being mad at the government, we go after each other. Just what the big-business run government wants.

They have sold us a pack of lies. Capitalism is a joke, when it exploits everybody but the few. Most Ceo's make about 300 times the average person. Yet no one complains. We continue to tax the poor, yet nothing is done. Ciggarette tax increases almost yearly, and we do nothing. Who smokes? The poor. And if the rich do smoke, such a tax would do nothing to them.

Lehman Bros goes bankrupt and we the tax payers bail them out. That goes against everything to do with capitalism. I thought capitalism was sink or swim. Then they get huge bonuses for their serious mismanagment of funds, once again at the tax payers expense. Then the government comes on to strike terror into the naive. If we don't bail them out, we will see a depression like no other. Bull s ht. Just more scare tactics in favor of the rich. Then who do we elect to manage our finances the same guy who was ceo of Lehman Bros, the company we had to bail out. Who is in congress? The same bums who mismanaged Lehman Bros.

But what do we do, we focus on one person who is frustrated at her enslavement of student loans. Typical brainwashed rhetoric. I love how idiots can get fifty credit cards then claim bankruptcy. Yet someone who is bogged to the point of depression from student loans in an inadequate economy and the government says too bad your screwed. These same loans that they call low interest. In the interest of the government, they are making a killling off of naive children. A loan of about 35,000 will most likely cost someone 60,000. How kind of the government.

This country is owned by big business and we are all screwed. I wouldn't recommend college to anyone. Most people I know who did not go to college are doing much better than most of my friends who went to college. Most of them who went to college are living with mommy and daddy and are scared to death of the debt that they are faced with in such a joke of an economy.

I am not discounting the women who is complaining about her loans. At the same rate, she was conned like so many of the rest of us. Let's start getting angry at the real crooks---the government.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:33 PM

^^^^So much truth in this post....rep points to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities