Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 04:51 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times

Advertisements

Have a read here:

Proposed Federal Rules Target For-Profit Colleges : NPR (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128710699#commentBlock - broken link)

Also a good documentary on for-profit colleges can be found here:

FRONTLINE: college, inc.: watch the full program online | PBS

Basically what is happening is that the for-profit colleges are SCAMMING (yes I said it!) poor people into singing up for their overpriced and worthless degrees. The poor students can pay the tuition because the tax payers are subsidizing the loans for the students. The degree programs are watered down so ANYONE can pass the classes. These schools are diploma mills and shouldn't be subsidized by taxpayers! Let the free market bankrupt these companies as they ought to be!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 06:59 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
I heard the NPR report when it aired a few months ago. My understanding is that the Feds are just looking into the quality of education and potential employment opportunities that a degree from these schools could bring, basically looking to determine if there is any bang-for-your-buck from these schools.

Yes, for-profits consume the largest portion of Federal student loan money. The Gov. wants to know if there is any return on this investment.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:30 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,279,234 times
It's about time. Schools need to stop duping people into believing they can be all they can be. University was only meant to be for the best and brightest. That's why many older people only have high school diplomas.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:37 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
There are so many government programs that waste our tax dollars and drive up the national debt, and student loans is one of them -- that program needs to be terminated!

Old 08-06-2010, 02:53 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Make people get private loans for these schools. If people want to waste money on a crap education, make them get high interest private financing.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:17 PM

207 posts, read 963,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
It's about time. Schools need to stop duping people into believing they can be all they can be. University was only meant to be for the best and brightest. That's why many older people only have high school diplomas.
HA! That actually made me laugh out loud.... the ignorance. Do you believe everything the TV tells you? Do you order things you see on infomercials at 3AM truly believing that you will drop 50lbs overnight? For-profit colleges operate under the same principle, promising the world to those who are uneducated and for some reason unable to attend a real college while charging exorbitant fees in a classic bait-and-switch. The degree they give you isn't worth the paper it's printed on, in most cases it actually makes you look worse to employers because it's embarrassing to have fallen for that kind of scam. People should try to be all they can be and do some real research before throwing their money away to a place like that. Sadly there are a lot of desperate people out there who get taken advantage of and it's a good thing that someone is trying to stop it.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:31 PM

817 posts, read 2,251,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
There are so many government programs that waste our tax dollars and drive up the national debt, and student loans is one of them -- that program needs to be terminated!
I don't know that the program needs to be terminated, but government-backed loans and grants need to be tightened up.

1-Most of the "for profit" schools are ridiculous and it's about time that someone took this on. There's a reason why most of these "schools" place ads on TV during Jerry Springer...they are aimed at people who can't get in to a real college. Strayer, Everest, et. al....I've seen a commercial for one of these that is completely in ebonics. Really? That's where our tax dollars are going?
2-I have someone that works for me that was an "admissions officer" in one of these places. She has told me that upwards of 25-30% of people going there would take their loan checks, drop classes after two weeks, and use the money to live off that semester, maybe taking one class to stay eligible.
3-Further, she said that this school charged roughly 60k for the equivalent of an AA degree...but that students are GUARANTEED to pass. You'd have to not even show up to fail, and even then, you'd be given second, third, fourth chances...

Waste of resources. Glad this is being done.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:53 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,474 times
Wow- some article. But there are a few for profit colleges that are excellent. Granted there are alot that aren't....and really should be looked at carefully.

But not all are bad.

The first one that comes to mind is the Le Cordon Bleu- the world's largest school like that. I'd be tickled if one of my children went here. Don't think a hospitality degree at any other college could compare to this school.

When my teens were headed to college one chose the public college and the other a private college ( a for profit).
After all was said and done- my daughter in the private college cost me more, of course.

They both chose the military and their college credits got them an instant promotion.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:43 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,230 times
I'm glad they're cracking down on questionable schools. There are some very good 'for profit' schools and any attempts to get rid of 'the bad apples' will only benefit everyone.

I went through a 'for profit' online school to earn a Master's degree. It took 3 years and it was a lot of work, but I learned a lot and it helped me push my career forward.

I hesitate to use the words 'for profit school' because all schools are for profit. Even 'traditional' schools are focused primarily on money. I challenge you to find any school that will not charge you a tuition to take their classes.

Less traditional schools have a lot to offer. As a working professional with multiple degrees and many years of experience in my field, I needed to acquire knowledge and a degree in a new area of study that would help me move further ahead. With a full-time corporate job, there was no way I could've taken time in the middle of the day to commute to the local traditional school and sit in classes tailored largely to 19-year-olds. I did however have the time to spend hours every evening after work and on weekends doing research, participating in group discussions, and writing papers. An even better bonuse was that at this less traditional school, there were many students like myself who also had 10-20 years of professional experience and we could discuss our studies in association with 'real world' experiences.

The school I attended was focused on education. However, there are some students who want only training in a specific skill set (e.g., cooking, welding, construction). They deserve to have a selection of well-regulated and accredited training schools to choose from.

Finally, I was somewhat annoyed by a few of the students interviewed in the PBS program as they seemed rather naive in their expectations of what a school can and cannot provide.

A school cannot guarantee a job. They can only provide education and training. It is up to the student to look at a program and decide whether that program will give them what they want or need. And once a student pays the tuition and begins to attend classes, they can not expect to sit there and have education 'delivered' to them. Like most experiences, you get as much as you put into it.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:09 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post

I hesitate to use the words 'for profit school' because all schools are for profit. Even 'traditional' schools are focused primarily on money. I challenge you to find any school that will not charge you a tuition to take their classes.
That's an easy one to answer.

Berea College- About Berea College | Berea College

The five United States Service Academies (West Point, Naval Academy, Air Force Academy, Coast Guard Academy, Merchant Marine Academy)

Deep Springs College- Deep Springs College
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities