Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 08:15 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times

Advertisements

Yes I have heard of CCs and that is not what we want.
Any good schools where one can live away from home in the N. East New England, middle atlantic or Eastern mid west that are less selrctive yet NOT a waste of time?

Good options for a creative late bloomer who is ready to leave home.
This may be a school from which she will transfer. Not interested in anything online.

Sociaization and possible transfer are both a big concerns.
I do NOT nean to offend anyone who is a supporter of CCs - we are looking for a good residential life and a LAC atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 10:01 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,248,321 times
Suffolk University in Boston accepts B students. If you enter as a freshman or transfer in with at least a 3.0 GPA, you will get $15,000 in Trustee Scholarship money.

There is also USM in Portland, ME. But, as a non-resident student it might not be worth the tuition. Whether it is a waste of time will highly depend on your major.

Umass Boston, Umass Dartmouth, and maybe Umass Amherst accept B students. As a non-resident, it would be cheaper to go to Suffolk.

I know someone who got into URI as a transfer with a 2.8 GPA. He also had three really kick-a$$ letters of rec, some strong ECs (including being vp of the student governance, and sat on two committees), so it might have been the other factors outside of GPA that got him in.

University of Maryland @ College Park. Does not have the best reputation, but some majors are well regarded.

University of Deleware, but they are going through a major push to recruit in-state students, so they get top priority for enrollment.

I am sure that there are others, but these are all that come to mind right now.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:28 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,702,253 times
A state school. Even with increased out-of-state tuition, it will be less expensive than an elite private institution, and your child will still get a solid education. Your student wouldn't have to transfer either.

I don't think that transferring is such a great idea unless your child is transferring right around the corner (for example, from a CC to an area state college). Transferring disrupts the college experience and can be very stressful, especially if socialization is a concern. You don't want your child to make a bunch of friends only to leave shortly thereafter, and making friends is going to be difficult if he/she is planning on leaving.

The Peterson's Guide to Colleges website has options that allow you to search for schools based on selectivity; I think that would be your best bet b/c saying that your child is a "B-student" is not enough info to determine the best schools that he/she will be admitted to; there are so many other factors that universities consider, especially the school that your child is coming from, as well as test scores, activities, recommendations, etc. that will affect his/her options.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:34 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,870,621 times
I was just at the book store and real an article in the most recent US News and World Report titled Best schools for B students or something like that. I would check it out. It had lists of schools with decent reputations but not stringent admissions standards.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:49 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
I was just at the book store and real an article in the most recent US News and World Report titled Best schools for B students or something like that. I would check it out. It had lists of schools with decent reputations but not stringent admissions standards.
Read it online here:
Best Colleges - Education - US News

Quote:
A+ Options for B Students
If you’re a good student with less than stellar test scores or so-so grade-point average, these are the lists for you. These colleges, which have strong U.S. News ratings, accept a significant number of students with nonstratospheric transcripts.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:27 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
This list just goes to show that B students can and do get accepted to better schools and do just fine. I looked at the list for the "Midwest" and most of those schools listed ANYONE can get into. There is a huge myth among parents that if you are not an A student you won't get into a top college. Now, you won't get into Harvard or an Ivy without top grades, top test scores, but having a B average won't automatically exclude you from acceptance. The admission information colleges have on their websites show the AVERAGE accepted student. Now, if you are a B student, bomb your ACT/SAT and have no outside activities-no, you probably won't get in but if you are a B student, took challenging classes, participated in sports/activities, etc. you have a very good chance of getting into a good school.

Yes, there are plenty of straight A students that don't get into schools too but schools are about demographics and a lot of A students are just that, A students with nothing else. Colleges want well rounded kids that are going to get involved in campus life, not sit in their dorms for 4 years doing nothing but studying.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:22 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,541,543 times
The majority of incoming college students ARE B students. My B student has about 16 colleges on his list and all but four are match or safety schools and only two are publics. My older two kids were also B students and graduated from private colleges that offered substantial merit aid. They both got a great education and my daughter is now in grad school at Vanderbilt University. Check out the links at the top of this page for search engines.

What is your daughters intended major? What is important for her regarding location - urban, rural, semi-rural? Does she want a large, medium or small school? Is financial aid important?

An excellent book is "Finding the College that's right for you!" Amazon.com: Finding the College That's Right for You! (0639785387336): John Palladino: Books

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:54 AM

Urban or suburban would be best. I am being frightened by all of this hype that says thhat college admoission is going to get very difficult around 2012 due to the large pool of applicants.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:30 PM

Also I have the recent US News publication including " A+ Colleges for B Students"

While I think that it's a comprehensive list of colleges, many require a 3.6 -3.7 average so for a B student i.e. 3.0 , these are not fall back or safety schools by ant means.

Also I have just relocated to a new state - PA - and while I know my former state's colleges very well (SUNY) the PA system appears to be quite different.

Also I do agree that a tranfer can be a major upheval. So if at all possible I would like to get it right the first time.

BTW it's my son not daughter. He likes cities and I would say a moderate sizw college - not too small but not where he could get lost in the shuffle - would be nest.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:20 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,541,543 times
Have you visited any of the PA state schools? They are kind of confusing. The more expensive ones are Penn State, Temple and University of Pittsburgh. The affordable state U's are absolutely for B students - http://www.passhe.edu/universities/Pages/about.aspx (broken link) Lock Haven, Kutztown, Millersville, West Chester, Mansfield, East Stroudsburg, etc. The only urban ones are Temple and Pitt. Temple has less stringent requirements. Pitt is a reach for most B students. West Chester is semi-urban but because of it's great location - just an hour outside of Philadelphia in a great town - it only accepts 49% of the applicants. We visited there a couple of weeks ago.

My suggestion is to attend a few open houses for your son to get a better idea of what he likes or sign up for the information session and take a student led tour. There are admissions events everywhere in October.

A few great colleges for B students within a days drive of SWB is Western New England College - Western New England College, Hartwick - Hartwick - Home and St. Michaels Saint Michael's College - Home
St. Mike's is just outside of Burlington, Vermont. About the best college town I've ever visited. All three colleges offer merit aid for B students.

You might also consider a branch campus of PSU. 60% of the students start at one of the branch campuses and then transfer to PSU, Main campus their Junior year. Penn State Campuses - Penn State Undergraduate Admissions

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities